Fidonet Portal

From: Richard Webb (1:116/901)
To: All
Date: Sat, 10.03.12 14:38
Ham Radio And Weather
Hi there,

On Fri 2012-Mar-09 23:01, Janis Kracht (1:261/38) wrote to Richard Webb:

>> I would encourage that. ron might find it useful
>> interesting and fun too. LIke bbsing ham radio is another
>> one of those things the whole family can enjoy and find
>> useful.

> YEs, it sure would. I'm sure both of you are technically
> astute enough it wouldn't take you long to bone up for the
> test. Check out sample tests on qrz.com and I'll bet you
> except for some of the rules and regs you could already
> answer a good number of the questions for the tech or
> general correctly.

JK> hehe.. I think I will. Smile It could be neat thing. When I mentioned
JK> the idea as a new kind of hobby to Ron, first he said, "If it mows
JK> the lawn and takes out the garbage, I'm game" Lol.. he's such a wise
JK> ass Lol.. but tonight he asked me to inquire just what it would
JK> involve equipment-wise, and otherwise... We'll check that out and
JK> go from there. rut ro.. janis on the air? Smile

Equipment wise, depending on waht you might want to do could be quite simple.
Also, a local winlink node emergency
backed up with the connections you've got would be a real
boon to your community. Yep, i"ll bet you guys wouldn't
have much problem with the theory for the technician or
general class licenses.

Besides that, there's a lot of just plain fun, hidden
transmitter hunting, chasing that rare one, whether it be a
rare one for vhf and uhf at your location or rare country if you're inclined to
do the hf thing, etc.

Regards,
Richard
---