Fidonet Portal

From: Ward Dossche (2:292/854)
To: All
Date: Sun, 16.02.20 23:17
Z1-update
The Zone-1 link at the homepage has been changed by request of the ZC1.

The previous "http://z1.fidonet.org" URL will, when typed directly, re-direct
to the new pages.

\%/@rd

--- D'Bridge 4
* Origin: Home of the ORG (2:292/854)

From: Ward Dossche (2:292/854)
To: All
Date: Mon, 17.02.20 09:57
Re: Z1-update
Fabio,

FB> ftn@balabam:~$ host z1.fidonet.org
FB> Host z1.fidonet.org not found: 3(NXDOMAIN)

FB> Some troubles today. Sad

Interesting. Works like a charm here under Windows7.

When I try smartphone (Android) I also get what you report. But I also cannot
reach even fidonet.org.

When I try another machine under Windows10, same shit. No connect.

When I try Safari on my wife's tablet it works.

Hmmm ... interesting ...

And for others jumping in "No, it's not from cache, I cleared it first".

From: Ward Dossche (2:292/854)
To: All
Date: Mon, 17.02.20 10:56
Re: Z1-update
Fabio,

FB>WD> Interesting. Works like a charm here under Windows7.

FB> Please could you paste here the dns relover configured on your W7?

I have no idea what you are hinting at.

From: Wilfred van Velzen (2:280/464)
To: All
Date: Mon, 17.02.20 12:11
Re: Z1-update
Hi Ward,

On 2020-02-17 10:56:02, you wrote to Fabio Bizzi:

FB>> WD> Interesting. Works like a charm here under Windows7.

FB>> Please could you paste here the dns relover configured on your W7?

WD> I have no idea what you are hinting at.

What is the output of 'nslookup z1.fidonet.org' on your system?

And after 'ipconfig /flushdns' ?

Bye, Wilfred.

--- FMail-lnx64 2.1.0.18-B20170815
* Origin: FMail development HQ (2:280/464)

From: Zhenja Kaliuta (2:4500/1.59)
To: All
Date: Mon, 17.02.20 12:50
Re: Z1-update
Hi, Ward!

On Mon, 17 Feb 2020 09:57:39 +0200 Ward Dossche writes:

WD> Fabio,
FB>> ftn@balabam:~$ host z1.fidonet.org
FB>> Host z1.fidonet.org not found: 3(NXDOMAIN)
WD>
FB>> Some troubles today. Sad
WD>
WD> Interesting. Works like a charm here under Windows7.

May be because of

% host www.z1.fidonet.org
www.z1.fidonet.org is an alias for attila.bofh.it.
attila.bofh.it has address 85.94.204.146
attila.bofh.it has IPv6 address 2001:4b78:2000::1
attila.bofh.it mail is handled by 1 attila.bofh.it.

[...]
--- Gnus/5.13 (Gnus v5.13) Emacs/24.5 (gnu/linux)
* Origin: Somewhere in the North (2:4500/1.59)

From: Ward Dossche (2:292/854)
To: All
Date: Mon, 17.02.20 13:13
Re: Z1-update
Wilfred,

Wv> What is the output of 'nslookup z1.fidonet.org' on your system?

Non-existent domain

Wv> And after 'ipconfig /flushdns' ?

Non-existent domain.

Very weird, after all this on my Win7 machine ...

I can reach fidonet.org and z1.fidonet.org via Chrome
I can reach Fidonet.org via Firefox, but NOT z1.fidonet.org
I can reach fidoet.org ans z1.fidonet.org via Explorer

But if I do a tracert on either, I get:

Unable to resolve target system name

??

From: Wilfred van Velzen (2:280/464)
To: All
Date: Mon, 17.02.20 13:18
Re: Z1-update
Hi Ward,

On 2020-02-17 13:13:05, you wrote to me:

Wv>> What is the output of 'nslookup z1.fidonet.org' on your system?

WD> Non-existent domain

Wv>> And after 'ipconfig /flushdns' ?

WD> Non-existent domain.

WD> Very weird, after all this on my Win7 machine ...

WD> I can reach fidonet.org and z1.fidonet.org via Chrome
WD> I can reach Fidonet.org via Firefox, but NOT z1.fidonet.org
WD> I can reach fidoet.org ans z1.fidonet.org via Explorer

WD> But if I do a tracert on either, I get:

WD> Unable to resolve target system name

WD> ??

I suspect (as Zhenja suggested) your browser automatically expands
z1.fidonet.org to www.z1.fidonet.org, which is working...

From: Ward Dossche (2:292/854)
To: All
Date: Mon, 17.02.20 14:16
Re: Z1-update
Wilfred,

Wv> I suspect (as Zhenja suggested) your browser automatically expands
Wv> z1.fidonet.org to www.z1.fidonet.org, which is working...

It seems you are correct. I tried the other machines with different OS and now
they work.

From: mark lewis (1:3634/12)
To: All
Date: Mon, 17.02.20 10:08
Re: Z1-update
Re: Re: Z1-update
By: Ward Dossche to Fabio Bizzi on Mon Feb 17 2020 09:57:39

WD> And for others jumping in "No, it's not from cache, I cleared it first".

in b4: "the DNS cache, too?" ;)

)\/(ark
--- SBBSecho 3.10-Linux
* Origin: SouthEast Star Mail HUB - SESTAR (1:3634/12)

From: mark lewis (1:3634/12)
To: All
Date: Mon, 17.02.20 10:11
Re: Z1-update
Re: Re: Z1-update
By: Zhenja Kaliuta to Ward Dossche on Mon Feb 17 2020 12:50:44

ZK> % host www.z1.fidonet.org

that's a different (sub)domain ;)