Fidonet Portal

From: alexander koryagin (2:5020/400)
To: All
Date: Wed, 03.10.12 12:52
fuel

processed: spam filter heuristic analysis disabled)

From: "alexander koryagin"

F2EP
Hi, Roy Witt! How are you?
on Wednesday, 03 of October, I read your message to alexander koryagin
about "fuel"

ak>> As it is known, "fuel" is an uncountable noun. But is it true after
ak>> "such"? Is it an error to write like this? My tongue puts "a"
ak>> involuntary. ;)

RW> It can be written in this manner if you're comparing fuels.
RW> Gasoline (petrol) is a fuel that is used most exclusively in the
RW> automotive field.

However you can stop here (i.e. compare nothing) and still it will probably be
correct.

RW> Diesel is another fuel that is used in the automotive field, but is
RW> more popularly used in the commercial trucking industry.
RW> There are other fuels that aren't as easily used; uranium is such a
RW> fuel.

I.e. when we use "a" before uncountable noun we single out the notion, even if
it is uncountable in general. "Such" is another additional emphasis.

That is we can say omitting "such":

Uraninum is a fuel that it causes more problems than benefits.

ak>> Uraninum is such a fuel that it causes more problems than benefits.

RW> As compared to what other fuels and in what field of use?

Any fuel is used for fueling. Take coal, wood, oil for instance. If people
don't burn them - they will burn out themselves sooner or later. ;-) But by
using Uranium we constantly create highly radioactive waste that must be stored
somewhere for thousands of years. Is it possible to guarantee that nothing will
have happened with these dirty boxes for thousands of years?

[...The probabilty of crime in the country is in direct proportion to amount of
the police]
Bye Roy!
Alexander (yAlexKo[]yandex.ru) + 2:5020/2140.91
fido7.english-tutor 2012

--- ifmail v.2.15dev5.4
* Origin: Demos online service (2:5020/400)