Fidonet Portal

From: Nigel Reed (1:124/5016)
To: n/a
Date: Tue, 18.08.20 00:38
Trying to study for extra
Re: Trying to study for extra
By: Mike Miller to Nigel Reed on Sat Aug 15 2020 12:00:27

> I'm currently studying to take my Technician and General exam at the same
> time, using an app on my phone from Hamstudy.org The app was like $3 from
> the app store (I have an Android phone, I'm pretty sure it's also available
> on iOS). All it does is ask you the questions on the test. if you get it

I've using Ham Test Prep which is similar, I guess, except it doesn't give you
more information, which sometimes help stuff stick, or explain it. I picked up
a book somewhere which was pretty decent. It's used so I didn't pay full price.
Books are easier for me to read then I can practice on the phone.
--- SBBSecho 3.11-Linux
* Origin: End Of The Line BBS - endofthelinebbs.com (1:124/5016)

From: Daryl Stout (1:19/33)
To: n/a
Date: Mon, 17.08.20 02:34
Re: Trying to study for
Sean,

SD> And the minute the Internet goes down, you're screwed.

Well, I have a Verizon Mi-Fi...but I have too many health issues to worry
about being available in a disaster.

SD> I'm not a purist but after nearly 40 years in IT, I've learned better
SD> than to trust both computers or the Internet.

Especially with the Windows VistaUp Virus: Renders all 16-bit programs
useless. <G>

SD> While I enjoy tinkering with Echolink and Winlink, my real interest is
SD> analog HF. The Internet is teneous at best and unreliable at worst.

And HF propagation lately has been horrid.

SD> Just my opinion, of course, but that's why I like amateur radio:
SD> there's something for everyone.

Agreed.

Daryl, WX4QZ

... Shin: A device for finding furniture in the dark.
=== MultiMail/Win v0.52
--- SBBSecho 3.11-Win32
* Origin: The Thunderbolt BBS - tbolt.synchro.net (1:19/33)

From: Daryl Stout (1:19/33)
To: n/a
Date: Mon, 17.08.20 02:37
Re: Trying to study for
Sean,

SD> You forgot to mention the much larger availablity of DX stations from
SD> other regions that only Extras in Region 2 have access to.

Well, considering the last time I operated HF was nearly 10 years ago,
what did you expect??

DS> 2) The shorter 2x1 or 1x2 callsigns...*IF* you're lucky enough to
DS> get one.

SD> Good luck. There's nothing in region 4 but honestly, that's really
SD> overrated to me.

I liked the 2x2 one better.

DS> 3) If traveling overseas, you can get Extra Class privileges with
DS> the CEPT license.

SD> That's something I didn't think about.

But, with COVID-19, traveling overseas is a bust. At least we don't
have to do social distancing in the shack.

DS> 4) As a Volunteer Examiner, you can give and grade ALL the exams.

SD> That too.

The last year they did a hamfest in Little Rock, one ham passed the
brand new Extra...with all 12 graphics. He not only passed it, but he
ACED it!! One VE growled "I want to take him outside, and beat the
[crap] out of him!! <G>

DS> 5) Snob appeal (hi hi).

SD> Oh, I've seen Technicians with plenty of snob appeal. When I first got
SD> my license in 1997, I was berated for being an "appliance operator"
SD> because I didn't know CW. There's still that attitude today...

That is true.

SD> I still catch hell from these crusty "CW since 1950" operators that
SD> tell me that if you don't use CW, you're not a true amateur radio
SD> operator.

As far as the FCC is concerned, if you have a valid ham radio license,
you're a ham radio operator.

Daryl, WX4QZ

... If your head's in the sand, your butt's a prime target!!

From: Daryl Stout (1:19/33)
To: n/a
Date: Mon, 17.08.20 02:55
Re: Trying to study for
Sean,

SD> If you're putting "stupid amounts of money" into ham radio, you need to
SD> re-examine why you're doing it. I have but a humble ICOM IC-718
SD> matched to a myantennas.com 10-80m EFHW ... about $800 invested into
SD> that setup ... and I can work the world just fine with it, even in
SD> rotten conditions. I'm doing a lot more digital work these days though
SD> I prefer SSB.

That ICOM IC-718 is the basic no frills get your feet wet in HF rig. That's
what we had in that HF Railroad Mobile station, noted in the video on my QRZ
profile.

SD> Give yourself some credit. You may have actually learned something and
SD> just not realized it.

The electronics and math weren't my forte', but I found the other stuff
fascinating.

SD> I rarely use DX spotting in contests. It's more fun to do the "hunt
SD> and pounce" method for me that way.

Contesting was never my forte' -- but as you said, there's something in
the hobby for everybody.

Daryl, WX4QZ

... Are you SURE it's plugged in?

From: Daryl Stout (1:19/33)
To: n/a
Date: Mon, 17.08.20 02:56
Re: Trying to study for
Sean,

SD> I'm definitely not but I know what it is ... and have helped set up an
SD> amateur radio mesh network before with my technical skills for a
SD> friend.

A group out in El Paso used the MESH network for communications during
one of their public service events.

Daryl, WX4QZ

... Archaeologist: A person whose career lies in ruins.