Fidonet Portal

From: Sean Dennis (1:18/200)
To: n/a
Date: Sat, 15.08.20 15:56
Trying to study for extr
-=> Nigel Reed wrote to FIDONET.HAM <=-

NR> So for those who have recently studied and passed the extra, how do you
NR> get this stuff to stick in your mind long enough to pass the test?

I did a "cram and exam" session: I studied the question pool with correct
answers only for about six hours then I took the test. I passed. Very Happy

73,
Sean KS4TD

-- Sean

___ MultiMail/Linux v0.52

--- Maximus/2 3.01
* Origin: Outpost BBS * bbs.outpostbbs.net:10123 (1:18/200)

From: Sean Dennis (1:18/200)
To: n/a
Date: Sat, 15.08.20 16:12
Re: Trying to study for
-=> Andre Robitaille wrote to Nigel Reed <=-

AR> Then I'd argue you probably don't need extra. After a little over two
AR> years into radio, I've used something from every section of the test
AR> except sat, and even that knowledge I've used in discussions with
AR> people.

I've been a ham for 23 years now and recently upgraded to Extra in June
2019. I haven't actually needed to use anything from the Extra test ... but
I have always used my General knowledge. The Extra is full of a lot of
radio and electronics theory which is good if you're building everything
yourself. I don't though I do build wire antennas.

AR> I can tell you in no uncertain terms, every antenna you buy or built,
AR> *maybe* with the exception of a loop or metal vertical, is going to
AR> need some antenna knowledge to get the best performance out of it.

I'll respectfully disagree with you on that. I built my first antenna, a
G5RV Junior, to "specs", put it on the air, and used it for four years until
I had to move. I worked everywhere from Alaska to Chile to Japan with it
... and I didn't know anything about antennas at the time.

I have bought several antennas and not needed to do anything to them to get
optimum performance. I installed them according to instructions and they
work just fine. My current antenna, a 10-80 meter end-fed half wave with a
9:1 balun on it, was designed by a professional antenna designer. All I did
was mount it. I have a 40 year old Mosley RV-4C vertical (10-40 meter with
the additional 80 meter coil) that worked just fine by following
instructions to mount it. I've had a SuperAntennas MP-1, Hustler vertical,
and a full Buddipole Deluxe kit--I still use that--and never any issues
outside of following instructions.

AR> I have operated with plenty of people of all sorts, including a bunch
AR> with extra class, and about 80% of them have damn near no idea what
AR> they're doing with antennas, setup, and/or operating. I promise that if
AR> you learn what's in extra and put it into practice as you need it,
AR> you'll find value in it.

I've done the same but it all depends on how much you want to bother to know
about it. Many don't bother with it though if you take the time to attempt
the Extra license, you tend to want to know more.

AR> Etienne passed with a couple wrong answers. I did worse. He was eleven
AR> at the time. :-/

I passed my Extra last June (2019) at the age of 47. I did a "cram and
exam" session and passed just fine.

I didn't bother to ask if I missed any questions or how many I did miss if
I did. All that mattered to me was that I passed.

I'm also an ARRL-accredited VE and I can tell you that the reason most don't
get their Extra is because they're happy with what they have and don't want
to work any harder to get it. If someone is actively trying to get their
Extra, they'll get it, one way or the other.

From: Sean Dennis (1:18/200)
To: n/a
Date: Sat, 15.08.20 16:19
Re: Trying to study for
NR> THe main reason for it is trying not to remember which frequencies I
NR> can use as tech and which I can't. It also means that if I'm
NR> eventually going to put down stupid amounts of money for an
NR> antenna and radio setup, I'll be able to get one that
NR> covers all the frequencies, not wasting any, and not having
NR> to upgrade later.

If you're putting "stupid amounts of money" into ham radio, you need to
re-examine why you're doing it. I have but a humble ICOM IC-718 matched to
a myantennas.com 10-80m EFHW ... about $800 invested into that setup ... and
I can work the world just fine with it, even in rotten conditions. I'm
doing a lot more digital work these days though I prefer SSB.

NR> I guess it's not a matter of not needing it, but not having
NR> to needing to remember it when we have plenty of instant
NR> online resources. It'd probably be quicker for me to look
NR> up some forumla calculator on Google than to perform it
NR> myself.

You would be surprised at how much you can absorb over the years.

NR> I really don't think I'm ever going to need stuff like
NR> "What is a typical range for tropospheric propagation of
NR> microwave signals?"

Comes in handy sometimes. Last night there was some sort of propagation
path from the East Coast to the Midwest. I was working Kansas stations like
there was no tomorrow ... which is highly unusual for me due to the
direction that my wire antenna is "aimed".

NR> I used hamstudy.org to get me through my General. I really
NR> have no idea how I passed my Technician. I think it was
NR> more luck than skill.

Give yourself some credit. You may have actually learned something and just
not realized it.

Remember that a good deal of memory comes from "drill and practice". It's
one of the reasons I love to contest: contesting uses a lot of skills and
they're a good chance to hone them.

I rarely use DX spotting in contests. It's more fun to do the "hunt and
pounce" method for me that way.

From: Sean Dennis (1:18/200)
To: n/a
Date: Sat, 15.08.20 16:22
Re: Trying to study for
AR> Guess you're not interested in mesh networking yet. Smile

I'm definitely not but I know what it is ... and have helped set up an
amateur radio mesh network before with my technical skills for a friend.

I'm really not interested in VHF/UHF, just mainly HF. I do like SSB a lot
and do use digital modes for ragchewing.

From: Sean Dennis (1:18/200)
To: n/a
Date: Sat, 15.08.20 16:25
Re: Trying to study for
-=> Andre Robitaille wrote to Nigel Reed <=-

AR> Meaning that general has access to every band that extra does. So any
AR> radio or antenna you buy to cover band X will be accessible whether you
AR> are a general or an extra.

That is technically true but Extra does give you additional bandwidth which
is nice during contesting weekends. Also, I have worked a lot of Region 1
DX that a US amateur won't have access to unless you're an Extra. That's
really the main reason I got my Extra was to work that rarer DX.

AR> Same mostly goes for antennas, though as a general you'd have a
AR> different center of band to tune the antenna.

Antennas are a non-sequitur in this though it's the antenna that makes the
QSO, not the radio. Smile

From: Sean Dennis (1:18/200)
To: n/a
Date: Sat, 15.08.20 16:31
Re: Trying to study for
DS> The advantage operating "internet radio" (much to the angst of the
DS> purists)

And the minute the Internet goes down, you're screwed.

I'm not a purist but after nearly 40 years in IT, I've learned better than
to trust both computers or the Internet.

While I enjoy tinkering with Echolink and Winlink, my real interest is
analog HF. The Internet is teneous at best and unreliable at worst.

Just my opinion, of course, but that's why I like amateur radio: there's
something for everyone.

From: Sean Dennis (1:18/200)
To: n/a
Date: Sat, 15.08.20 16:36
Re: Trying to study for
DS> 1) Full amateur radio privileges, although on HF, you still have to
DS> stay 3 kc's away from the band edges, to avoid going "out of band".
DS> There is 500 kilohertz of HF spectrum not available to General class
DS> licensees...and 250 kilohertz of HF spectrum not available to Advanced
DS> Class licensees.

You forgot to mention the much larger availablity of DX stations from other
regions that only Extras in Region 2 have access to.

DS> 2) The shorter 2x1 or 1x2 callsigns...*IF* you're lucky enough to
DS> get one.

Good luck. There's nothing in region 4 but honestly, that's really
overrated to me.

DS> 3) If traveling overseas, you can get Extra Class privileges with
DS> the CEPT license.

That's something I didn't think about.

DS> 4) As a Volunteer Examiner, you can give and grade ALL the exams.

That too.

DS> 5) Snob appeal (hi hi).

Oh, I've seen Technicians with plenty of snob appeal. When I first got my
license in 1997, I was berated for being an "appliance operator" because I
didn't know CW. There's still that attitude today...

I still catch hell from these crusty "CW since 1950" operators that tell me
that if you don't use CW, you're not a true amateur radio operator.

From: Daryl Stout (1:19/33)
To: n/a
Date: Sat, 15.08.20 12:36
Re: Trying to study for e
Andre,

AR> Meaning that general has access to every band that extra does. So any
AR> radio or antenna you buy to cover band X will be accessible whether you
AR> are a general or an extra.

There are only 500 kilohertz of spectrum that General Class hams can't
use, and 250 kilohertz of spectrum that Advanced Class hams can't use;
both in comparison to Amateur Extra. However, most hams that operate HF
have the General Class license.

Daryl, WX4QZ

... Deja View: When you've been down this road before.
=== MultiMail/Win v0.52
--- SBBSecho 3.11-Win32
* Origin: The Thunderbolt BBS - tbolt.synchro.net (1:19/33)

From: Andre Robitaille (1:154/70)
To: n/a
Date: Sun, 16.08.20 20:19
Re: Trying to study for e
On 15 Aug 2020, Daryl Stout said the following...

DS> There are only 500 kilohertz of spectrum that General Class hams can't
DS> use, and 250 kilohertz of spectrum that Advanced Class hams can't use;
DS> both in comparison to Amateur Extra. However, most hams that operate HF
DS> have the General Class license.

Yeah, I totally agree. I got it because during the NJQRP Skeeter Hunt contest
last year (was also today, coincidentally), I kept hearing people just below
where generals could go. So I figured between that, and having the shorter
call, it was worth it for my occasional contest or for getting into pileups
more easily.

But once I started studying the extra material, I realized that it was the
first exam level material that was really interesting.

- Andre, WT9X

--- Mystic BBS v1.12 A45 2020/02/18 (Raspberry Pi/32)
* Origin: Runaan BBS (1:154/70)