Fidonet Portal

From: Roy Witt (1:397/22)
To: All
Date: Tue, 05.12.06 12:03
FidoNews Editor MIA?
05 Dec 06 11:55, Michiel van der Vlist wrote to Roy Witt:

MvdV> Hello Roy!

MvdV> On Monday December 04 2006 13:55, you wrote to Carol Shenkenberger:

RW>> That reminds me. MvdV wrote an article in the snooze that brings up
RW>> a problem in your zone segment. Roati, among others, are listed
RW>> without any contact information. Roati, among others, are listed as
RW>> *Cs without any contact info. A big no-no, yet we see it more and
RW>> more these days.

MvdV> What we have seen is the emergence of ION RCs and hosts.

Yes. To the detriment of the network. There are several RCs in Z1 listed
that way with no POTS in their listings. There are 4 RCs listed with POTS
vs 6 without POTS, plus there is no way to reach those without other than
via their ION listing. Even that is not a given. R10C was never online
while I lived in that region and for all I know, still isn't.

MvdV> This however is a new developement that puts us further down on
MvdV> thge slope. Terry Roati is not ION, he not reachable at all. Not by
MvdV> POTS/ISDN and not by InterNet.

He supposedly has a website, but I havn't been there in a very long time,
so I don't know that it's still working.

RW>> We can't expect Fidonet to grow with this happening.

MvdV> What we can expect is it to quickly desintegrate this way.

Had I been a newbie when trying to get listed in R19 when I moved here, I
would have been out of luck, as the R19C's POTS never answered my calls.

I had to route my netmail through 1:379/1 - who is in R18.

CS>>> Basically it got too complex to fix in fast timeframes.

RW>> It's quite easy to do; assign them to other Zones and get it over
RW>> with.

MvdV> The most optimistic count of zone 6 tells us there are eight sysops
MvdV> left. A more realistic count says two or three. How hard can it be
MvdV> to relocate them to another zone?

xxcarol claimed that there's a lot of work involved. Move those who
respond to netmail to a new zone and let the others know about the move
when they get in touch.

CS>>> The ship (XO) wants me to extend onboard really bad and will get
CS>>> it approved if i ask. Something about me being able to reliably
CS>>> handle 1.6M$ in training funds which isnt an easy skill to find
CS>>> or learn.

RW>> So you'll be too busy with your work to be an affective ZC...

MvdV> The sad reality is that Z6 is too small to function as a zone. Not
MvdV> enough manpower left to run the show.

Not to mention that those who're left are listed as RCs with no nets in
their regions.

MvdV> If the best they can come up with for ZC is someone who is away
MvdV> from the system for 6 month of the year, and if they are totally
MvdV> dependent on Z1 systems to move their mail, I think enough is said.

According to the person with that Z1 mail link, sometimes she doesn't get
any mail while at sea, leaving the other 6 people in the zone without mail
until she returns to port.

MvdV> Sad, but those are the hard facts. Denying the facts and living in
MvdV> a dream world has never gotten anyone anywhere.

Well, it did get xxcarol a ZC position.

RW>> They don't seem to be too worried about whether or not they're
RW>> available for Fidonet activity - time to cut them loose...

MvdV> He, we agree! Let's not make a habit of it. ;-)

We have to start agreeing sooner or later, Michiel. Or we won't have
anything to do but argue when the rest of this crew are gone. SurprisedWink

R\%/itt

--- Twit(t) Filter v2.1 (C) 2000
* Origin: SATX Alamo Area Net * South * Texas, USA * (1:397/22)