Fidonet Portal






From: becky.kudrenecky@gmail.com (1:396/4)
To: All
Date: Sat, 21.09.19 00:14
Info Zip Questions
From: becky.kudrenecky@gmail.com

I have some queries about info zip which I just discovered:

1) The last two versions of zip I have are:

2013/07/24 04:47:10 107395 F:\usr\bin\zip.exe

(OS/2 executable module built for kLIBC v0.6.4+)

2010/08/14 04:11:26 224844 F:\OS2_Apps\zip.exe

(OS/2 executable module built with InnoTek GCC)

However, even though they seem very different, and are compiled
differently, they return the same version information:

[F:\usr\bin]F:\usr\bin\zip.exe
Copyright (c) 1990-2008 Info-ZIP
Zip 3.0 (July 5th 2008). Usage:

[F:\OS2_Apps]F:\OS2_Apps\zip.exe
Copyright (c) 1990-2008 Info-ZIP
Zip 3.0 (July 5th 2008). Usage:

If any, what are the functional differences?


2) This discovery was precipitated when I was attempting to verify zip file
integrity. Both these executables return:

[G:\ZipBackup]F:\usr\bin\zip.exe -T ThinkPad_MR2_20190721.zip
unzip: cannot find either "ThinkPad_MR2_20190721.zip" or
"ThinkPad_MR2_20190721.zip".zip.
test of ThinkPad_MR2_20190721.zip FAILED

zip error: Zip file invalid, could not spawn unzip, or wrong unzip
(original files unmodified)

[G:\ZipBackup]F:\OS2_Apps\zip.exe -T ThinkPad_MR2_20190721.zip
unzip: cannot find either "ThinkPad_MR2_20190721.zip" or
"ThinkPad_MR2_20190721.zip".zip.
test of ThinkPad_MR2_20190721.zip FAILED

zip error: Zip file invalid, could not spawn unzip, or wrong unzip
(original files unmodified)

So, I checked an older info zip version:

[G:\ZipBackup]D:\OS2\ZIP.EXE -T ThinkPad_MR2_20190721.zip
ThinkPad_MR2_20190721.zip: found a preamble of 1825507506 bytes
test of ThinkPad_MR2_20190721.zip OK

[D:\os2]zip
Copyright (C) 1990-2005 Info-ZIP
Type 'zip "-L"' for software license.
Zip 2.31 (March 8th 2005). Usage:

What is up with this?

thanks for your interest,
Baden



--- NewsGate v1.0 gamma 2
* Origin: News Gate @ Net396 -Huntsville, AL - USA (1:396/4)

From: Dave Yeo (1:396/4)
To: All
Date: Sat, 21.09.19 09:53
Re: Info Zip Questions
From: Dave Yeo <dave.r.yeo@gmail.com>

On 09/21/19 01:14 PM, becky.kudrenecky@gmail.com wrote:
> I have some queries about info zip which I just discovered:
>
> 1) The last two versions of zip I have are:
>
> 2013/07/24 04:47:10 107395 F:\usr\bin\zip.exe
>
> (OS/2 executable module built for kLIBC v0.6.4+)
>
> 2010/08/14 04:11:26 224844 F:\OS2_Apps\zip.exe
>
> (OS/2 executable module built with InnoTek GCC)
>
> However, even though they seem very different, and are compiled
differently, they return the same version information:
>
> [F:\usr\bin]F:\usr\bin\zip.exe
> Copyright (c) 1990-2008 Info-ZIP
> Zip 3.0 (July 5th 2008). Usage:
>
> [F:\OS2_Apps]F:\OS2_Apps\zip.exe
> Copyright (c) 1990-2008 Info-ZIP
> Zip 3.0 (July 5th 2008). Usage:
>
> If any, what are the functional differences?

The version info is likely hardcoded and the porters never touched it.
Hopefully no functional differences, but really it depends on whether
the porters needed to touch anything and the toolchain, differences in
behaviour or bugs. When it comes to the toolchain, usually newer is better.

>
>
> 2) This discovery was precipitated when I was attempting to verify zip file
integrity. Both these executables return:
>
> [G:\ZipBackup]F:\usr\bin\zip.exe -T ThinkPad_MR2_20190721.zip
> unzip: cannot find either "ThinkPad_MR2_20190721.zip" or
"ThinkPad_MR2_20190721.zip".zip.
> test of ThinkPad_MR2_20190721.zip FAILED
>
> zip error: Zip file invalid, could not spawn unzip, or wrong unzip
(original files unmodified)
>
> [G:\ZipBackup]F:\OS2_Apps\zip.exe -T ThinkPad_MR2_20190721.zip
> unzip: cannot find either "ThinkPad_MR2_20190721.zip" or
"ThinkPad_MR2_20190721.zip".zip.
> test of ThinkPad_MR2_20190721.zip FAILED
>
> zip error: Zip file invalid, could not spawn unzip, or wrong unzip
(original files unmodified)
>
> So, I checked an older info zip version:
>
> [G:\ZipBackup]D:\OS2\ZIP.EXE -T ThinkPad_MR2_20190721.zip
> ThinkPad_MR2_20190721.zip: found a preamble of 1825507506 bytes
> test of ThinkPad_MR2_20190721.zip OK
>
> [D:\os2]zip
> Copyright (C) 1990-2005 Info-ZIP
> Type 'zip "-L"' for software license.
> Zip 2.31 (March 8th 2005). Usage:
>
> What is up with this?

Bad zip, that's a huge preamble. I guess the older zip looks harder at
the file to try to correct for errors and it looks like the zip itself
was good, just hiding at the end of the file.

I believe there are newer versions of Zip v3 at Netlabs rpm repositories
(available as zips) and perhaps Paul's site.
I have,
6-12-18 2:02a 89,787 124 a--- unzip.exe
9-28-18 7:09a 110,449 124 a--- zip.exe
Dave

--- NewsGate v1.0 gamma 2
* Origin: News Gate @ Net396 -Huntsville, AL - USA (1:396/4)

From: baden@baden.nu (1:396/4)
To: All
Date: Sat, 21.09.19 19:54
Re: Info Zip Questions
From: "baden@baden.nu" <baden@baden.nu>

Hi Dave:

Thanks for your response.

On Sunday, 22 September 2019 00:53:37 UTC-5, Dave Yeo wrote:
> On 09/21/19 01:14 PM, becky.kudrenecky@gmail.com wrote:
> > I have some queries about info zip which I just discovered:

> > 2010/08/14 04:11:26 224844 F:\OS2_Apps\zip.exe
> >
> > (OS/2 executable module built with InnoTek GCC)

> The version info is likely hardcoded and the porters never touched it.
> Hopefully no functional differences, but really it depends on whether
> the porters needed to touch anything and the toolchain, differences in
> behaviour or bugs. When it comes to the toolchain, usually newer is better.

The biggest thing I am amazed at is the InnoTek executable is twice the size of
the other, with presumably identical functionality. Was the InnoTek version
(Zip 3.0) maybe compiled with debug mode?

> >
> > What is up with this?
>
> Bad zip, that's a huge preamble. I guess the older zip looks harder at
> the file to try to correct for errors and it looks like the zip itself
> was good, just hiding at the end of the file.

But it's the same situation for any zip file I've tested:

[F:\Applications]zip -T usbdrv213.zip
unzip: cannot find either "usbdrv213.zip" or "usbdrv213.zip".zip.
test of usbdrv213.zip FAILED

zip error: Zip file invalid, could not spawn unzip, or wrong unzip
(original files unmodified)

[F:\Applications]D:\os2\zip -T usbdrv213.zip
test of usbdrv213.zip OK

Zip 3.0 (-T) does not appear to work , but Zip 2.31 does.

I also see why I upgraded my zips, as Zip 2.31 does not support file sizes over
2 GiB.

> I believe there are newer versions of Zip v3 at Netlabs rpm repositories
> (available as zips) and perhaps Paul's site.
> I have,
> 6-12-18 2:02a 89,787 124 a--- unzip.exe
> 9-28-18 7:09a 110,449 124 a--- zip.exe
> Dave

I will check this out, and see what transpires.

thanks!
Baden

--- NewsGate v1.0 gamma 2
* Origin: News Gate @ Net396 -Huntsville, AL - USA (1:396/4)

From: baden@baden.nu (1:396/4)
To: All
Date: Sat, 21.09.19 20:19
Re: Info Zip Questions
From: "baden@baden.nu" <baden@baden.nu>

Hi Dave:

On Sunday, 22 September 2019 10:54:12 UTC-5, ba...@baden.nu wrote:
> Hi Dave:
>
> Thanks for your response.
>
> On Sunday, 22 September 2019 00:53:37 UTC-5, Dave Yeo wrote:
> > On 09/21/19 01:14 PM, becky.kudreneky@gmail.com wrote:
> > > I have some queries about info zip which I just discovered:

> But it's the same situation for any zip file I've tested:
>
> [F:\Applications]zip -T usbdrv213.zip
> unzip: cannot find either "usbdrv213.zip" or "usbdrv213.zip".zip.
> test of usbdrv213.zip FAILED
>
> zip error: Zip file invalid, could not spawn unzip, or wrong unzip
(original files unmodified)
>
> [F:\Applications]D:\os2\zip -T usbdrv213.zip
> test of usbdrv213.zip OK
>
> Zip 3.0 (-T) does not appear to work , but Zip 2.31 does.
>
> I also see why I upgraded my zips, as Zip 2.31 does not support file sizes
over 2 GiB.
>
> > I believe there are newer versions of Zip v3 at Netlabs rpm repositories
> > (available as zips) and perhaps Paul's site.
> > I have,
> > 6-12-18 2:02a 89,787 124 a--- unzip.exe
> > 9-28-18 7:09a 110,449 124 a--- zip.exe
> > Dave
>
> I will check this out, and see what transpires.

18-09-28 9:09 110,449 124 a--- zip.exe

[F:\Applications]F:\temp\zip-3_0-8_oc00\@unixroot\usr\bin\zip.exe -T
usbdrv213.zip
unzip: cannot find either "usbdrv213.zip" or "usbdrv213.zip".zip.
test of usbdrv213.zip FAILED

zip error: Zip file invalid, could not spawn unzip, or wrong unzip
(original files unmodified)

So, the latest zip.exe reports identical version information, and has the same
malfunction. I am going to see if I can get infozip for my daughter's Win 10
(ugh!!Wink computer, and test to see if this fault might be common to the infozip
code.

thanks,
Baden
--- NewsGate v1.0 gamma 2
* Origin: News Gate @ Net396 -Huntsville, AL - USA (1:396/4)

From: LSoens (1:396/4)
To: All
Date: Sun, 22.09.19 13:57
Re: Info Zip Questions
From: "LSoens" <nomail@nospam.invalid>

On Sun, 22 Sep 2019 16:19:30 UTC, "baden@baden.nu" <baden@baden.nu>
wrote:

> [F:\Applications]F:\temp\zip-3_0-8_oc00\@unixroot\usr\bin\zip.exe -T
usbdrv213.zip
> unzip: cannot find either "usbdrv213.zip" or "usbdrv213.zip".zip.
> test of usbdrv213.zip FAILED
>
> zip error: Zip file invalid, could not spawn unzip, or wrong unzip
(original files unmodified)
>
I guess you wanted 'UNzip -t <existing zipfile>' ? I suppose the
zipfile _was_ in the current directory as stated?

The recent Unzip and Zip versions are 6.00 resp. 3.0. Several former
ports around had some minor bugs or restrictions.

Btw: Lars Erdmann's most recent package is usbdrv229.zip (Hobbes).

--
lothar .dot. soens .at. t .minus. online .dot. de

Wegen Unregelm??igkeiten im Betrieb f?hrt die Bahn heute p?nktlich.
Due to irregular service all trains go on schedule today.

--- NewsGate v1.0 gamma 2
* Origin: News Gate @ Net396 -Huntsville, AL - USA (1:396/4)

From: LSoens (1:396/4)
To: All
Date: Sun, 22.09.19 15:03
Re: Info Zip Questions
From: "LSoens" <nomail@nospam.invalid>

On Sun, 22 Sep 2019 16:19:30 UTC, "baden@baden.nu" <baden@baden.nu>
wrote:

> So, the latest zip.exe reports identical version information, and has the
same malfunction. I am going to see if I can get infozip for my daughter's Win
10 (ugh!!Wink computer, and test to see if this fault might be common to the
infozip code.
>

I suspect "our" 'zip -T ..' function is actually broken. Similar
nonsense results here. I've never used it like that ...
Works smoothly here on Linux, so IMHO no need to ask Win$ Smile (people
often have Winrar instead....Wink
But 'unzip -t ...' works anyway, resp. should do.

--
lothar .dot. soens .at. t .minus. online .dot. de

Wegen Unregelm??igkeiten im Betrieb f?hrt die Bahn heute p?nktlich.
Due to irregular service all trains go on schedule today.

--- NewsGate v1.0 gamma 2
* Origin: News Gate @ Net396 -Huntsville, AL - USA (1:396/4)

From: baden@baden.nu (1:396/4)
To: All
Date: Sun, 22.09.19 01:52
Re: Info Zip Questions
From: "baden@baden.nu" <baden@baden.nu>

Hi Lothar:

Thanks for your excellent (and correct! {:-) information! I initially was
looking for the integrity function in "unzip", but I overlooked it.

On thing is that "zip -T" seems to be about 6 times faster than "unzip -t". On
my 6.8 GiB file, "unzip -t" took over 9 minutes to complete.

Another thing I have found, is that infozip development seems to have stopped
over a decade ago. The latest stuff appears on
https://sourceforge.net/projects/infozip/ but there are no new releases. It
makes me wonder what all the OS/2 updates are about?

I tested "zip -T" for three platforms, and I found that:

zip_3.0 zip_2.32 zip_2.31
OS/2 no yes
WIN32 no no
DOS32 (OS/2) yes
DOS32 (Win 10) yes
DOS16 (OS/2) no

Maybe the most expedient solution for infozip would be to delete the switch,
considering that it was not really noticed for ten years. {:-)

thanks,
Baden


On Sunday, 22 September 2019 16:03:33 UTC-5, LSoens wrote:
> On Sun, 22 Sep 2019 16:19:30 UTC, baden wrote:
>
> > So, the latest zip.exe reports identical version information, and has the
same malfunction. I am going to see if I can get infozip for my daughter's Win
10 (ugh!!Wink computer, and test to see if this fault might be common to the
infozip code.
> >
>
> I suspect "our" 'zip -T ..' function is actually broken. Similar
> nonsense results here. I've never used it like that ...
> Works smoothly here on Linux, so IMHO no need to ask Win$ Smile (people
> often have Winrar instead....Wink
> But 'unzip -t ...' works anyway, resp. should do.
>


--- NewsGate v1.0 gamma 2
* Origin: News Gate @ Net396 -Huntsville, AL - USA (1:396/4)

From: Andreas Kohl (1:396/4)
To: All
Date: Mon, 02.12.19 12:56
Re: Info Zip Questions
From: Andreas Kohl <ak120@arcor.de>

becky.kudrenecky@gmail.com schrieb:
> I have some queries about info zip which I just discovered:
>
> 1) The last two versions of zip I have are:
>
> 2013/07/24 04:47:10 107395 F:\usr\bin\zip.exe
>
> (OS/2 executable module built for kLIBC v0.6.4+)
>
> 2010/08/14 04:11:26 224844 F:\OS2_Apps\zip.exe
>
> (OS/2 executable module built with InnoTek GCC)
>
> However, even though they seem very different, and are compiled
differently, they return the same version information:
>
> [F:\usr\bin]F:\usr\bin\zip.exe
> Copyright (c) 1990-2008 Info-ZIP
> Zip 3.0 (July 5th 2008). Usage:
>
> [F:\OS2_Apps]F:\OS2_Apps\zip.exe
> Copyright (c) 1990-2008 Info-ZIP
> Zip 3.0 (July 5th 2008). Usage:
>
> If any, what are the functional differences?
You can simply execute:
zip -v
to see the compile options.

Btw. the official OS/2 build should be from 2009-05-26 with filesize 181749.

The size of the executable from the kLIBC build is smaller because it
dynamically links to quite larger runtime.

--
Andreas
--- NewsGate v1.0 gamma 2
* Origin: News Gate @ Net396 -Huntsville, AL - USA (1:396/4)

From: Andreas Kohl (1:396/4)
To: All
Date: Mon, 02.12.19 12:56
Re: Info Zip Questions
From: Andreas Kohl <ak120@arcor.de>

becky.kudrenecky@gmail.com schrieb:
> I have some queries about info zip which I just discovered:
>
> 1) The last two versions of zip I have are:
>
> 2013/07/24 04:47:10 107395 F:\usr\bin\zip.exe
>
> (OS/2 executable module built for kLIBC v0.6.4+)
>
> 2010/08/14 04:11:26 224844 F:\OS2_Apps\zip.exe
>
> (OS/2 executable module built with InnoTek GCC)
>
> However, even though they seem very different, and are compiled
differently, they return the same version information:
>
> [F:\usr\bin]F:\usr\bin\zip.exe
> Copyright (c) 1990-2008 Info-ZIP
> Zip 3.0 (July 5th 2008). Usage:
>
> [F:\OS2_Apps]F:\OS2_Apps\zip.exe
> Copyright (c) 1990-2008 Info-ZIP
> Zip 3.0 (July 5th 2008). Usage:
>
> If any, what are the functional differences?
You can simply execute:
zip -v
to see the compile options.

Btw. the official OS/2 build should be from 2009-05-26 with filesize 181749.

The size of the executable from the kLIBC build is smaller because it
dynamically links to quite larger runtime.

--
Andreas
--- NewsGate v1.0 gamma 2
* Origin: News Gate @ Net396 -Huntsville, AL - USA (1:396/4)

ABOUT

This forum contains echomail areas hosted on Nightmare BBS You can browse local echomail areas, italian fidonet areas and a selection of international fidonet areas, reading messages posted by users in Nightmare BBS or even other BBSs all over the world. You can find file areas too (functional to fidonet technology). You can browse echomail areas and download files with no registration, but if you want to write messages in echomail areas, or use fidonet netmail (private messages with fidomet technology), you have to register. Only a minimal set of data is required, functional to echomail and netmail usage (name, password, email); a registration and login with facebook is provided too, to allow easy registration. If you won't follow rules (each echomail areas has its own, regularly posted in the echomail), your account may be suspended;

CONTACT