Fidonet Portal

From: KB6NU via rec.radio.amateur.moderat (1:396/4)
To: n/a
Date: Thu, 13.08.20 05:18
[KB6NU] 8-meter band?? Who knew?
From: rec-radio-amateur-moderated-request@panix.com (KB6NU via
rec.radio.amateur.moderated Admin)

KB6NU's Ham Radio Blog

8-meter band?? Who knew?

http://feedproxy.google.com/~r/kb6nu/tVpu/~3/lNIc3mkinv0/?utm_source=feedburner&;
utm_medium=email

S50B and EI4GNB logged the first 40-meter QSO between Ireland and Slovenia.

One of the things that I enjoy about doing the ICQ podcast is that I always
seem to learn something new. What I learned today, is that some amateurs in
IARU Region 1 have access to the 8-meter band.

8 meters?? Apparently, amateurs in Lithuania, Slovenia, Ireland, Denmark,
and South Africa now have privileges in the 8-meter amateur radio band,
which spans 40.66–40.7 MHz. EI7GL has blogged fairly extensively about
operations in the 8-meter band, including:

First contact on 40 MHz between Ireland & Slovenia 15th June 2020
First contact on 40 MHz between Lithuania & Slovenia 13th June 2020
40 MHz activity report 18th May 2020
Reception reports of the EI1KNH 40 MHz beacon 17th May 2020

One of the questions I had was what equipment is available for 8 meters.
The answer is that EI4GNB is using a modified Icom IC-7100 and a 2-element
quad antenna.

I wonder if anyone here in the U.S. has tried to hear these stations. I
would think that when 6 meters is open to Europe, some of the beacons, at
least, would be audible.

The post 8-meter band?? Who knew? appeared first on KB6NUs Ham Radio Blog.

--- NewsGate v1.0 gamma 2