Fidonet Portal

From: Don (1:396/4)
To: n/a
Date: Thu, 13.08.20 08:24
Re: [tor dot com] Five Science-Fictional Approaches to Healthcare
From: Don <g@crcomp.net>

James Nicoll <jdnicoll@panix.com> wrote:

> Five Science-Fictional Approaches to Healthcare

https://www.tor.com/2020/08/12/five-science-fictional-approaches-to-healthcare/

An excerpt from your review:

Doctors Wells and Kellis set out to create engineered viruses aimed at
eliminating cancer and the common cold. An unscheduled, unsanctioned
field test revealed that their creation was wildly successful...in the
sense that neither cancer nor the common cold was anyone s primary
health problem once the virus spread. Pity about the global zombie
apocalypse that followed, but you can't make an omelette without
breaking some eggs!

These plot points ought to be familiar to people who watched the
_I Am Legend_ (2007) movie. The movie's another Hollywood treatment of
the novel _I Am Legend_ (Matheson, 1954).
Instead of Los Angeles, the treatment uses a brownstone near
Columbus Circle as a setting. The brownstone's fortified and has a fully
equipped lab in its basement. (It's the palace of my own dreams, truth
be known.Wink
_The Last Man on Earth_ (1964) is an earlier derivative movie of the
Matheson. A copy of it's currently available at:
https://archive.org/details/TheLastMan_onEarth
It's a typical American International Pictures black-and-white
product from back in the day. It foreshadows the
_Night of the Living Dead_ (1968), which appears four years later.

Danke,

--
Don.......My cat's )\._.,--....,'``.
telltale tall tail /, _.. \ _\ (`._ ,.

--- NewsGate v1.0 gamma 2

From: Paul S Person (1:396/4)
To: n/a
Date: Wed, 12.08.20 22:04
Re: [tor dot com] Five Science-Fictional Approaches to Healthcare
From: Paul S Person <psperson1@ix.netcom.invalid>

On Thu, 13 Aug 2020 12:24:23 -0000 (UTC), Don <g@crcomp.net> wrote:

>James Nicoll <jdnicoll@panix.com> wrote:
>>
>> Five Science-Fictional Approaches to Healthcare

https://www.tor.com/2020/08/12/five-science-fictional-approaches-to-healthcare/

>An excerpt from your review:
>
> Doctors Wells and Kellis set out to create engineered viruses aimed at
> eliminating cancer and the common cold. An unscheduled, unsanctioned
> field test revealed that their creation was wildly successful...in the
> sense that neither cancer nor the common cold was anyone s primary
> health problem once the virus spread. Pity about the global zombie
> apocalypse that followed, but you can't make an omelette without
> breaking some eggs!
>
>These plot points ought to be familiar to people who watched the
>_I Am Legend_ (2007) movie. The movie's another Hollywood treatment of
>the novel _I Am Legend_ (Matheson, 1954).
> Instead of Los Angeles, the treatment uses a brownstone near
>Columbus Circle as a setting. The brownstone's fortified and has a fully
>equipped lab in its basement. (It's the palace of my own dreams, truth
>be known.Wink
> _The Last Man on Earth_ (1964) is an earlier derivative movie of the
>Matheson. A copy of it's currently available at:
>https://archive.org/details/TheLastMan_onEarth
> It's a typical American International Pictures black-and-white
>product from back in the day. It foreshadows the
>_Night of the Living Dead_ (1968), which appears four years later.

Don't forget /The Omega Man/ (1971), with Charlton Heston as the last
man. Hey, at least it was in color!
--
"I begin to envy Petronius."
"I have envied him long since."

From: Lynn McGuire (1:396/4)
To: n/a
Date: Thu, 13.08.20 08:13
Re: [tor dot com] Five Science-Fictional Approaches to Healthcare
From: Lynn McGuire <lynnmcguire5@gmail.com>

On 8/13/2020 11:04 AM, Paul S Person wrote:
> On Thu, 13 Aug 2020 12:24:23 -0000 (UTC), Don <g@crcomp.net> wrote:
>
>> James Nicoll <jdnicoll@panix.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> Five Science-Fictional Approaches to Healthcare

https://www.tor.com/2020/08/12/five-science-fictional-approaches-to-healthcare/

>> An excerpt from your review:
>>
>> Doctors Wells and Kellis set out to create engineered viruses aimed at
>> eliminating cancer and the common cold. An unscheduled, unsanctioned
>> field test revealed that their creation was wildly successful...in the
>> sense that neither cancer nor the common cold was anyone s primary
>> health problem once the virus spread. Pity about the global zombie
>> apocalypse that followed, but you can't make an omelette without
>> breaking some eggs!
>>
>> These plot points ought to be familiar to people who watched the
>> _I Am Legend_ (2007) movie. The movie's another Hollywood treatment of
>> the novel _I Am Legend_ (Matheson, 1954).
>> Instead of Los Angeles, the treatment uses a brownstone near
>> Columbus Circle as a setting. The brownstone's fortified and has a fully
>> equipped lab in its basement. (It's the palace of my own dreams, truth
>> be known.Wink
>> _The Last Man on Earth_ (1964) is an earlier derivative movie of the
>> Matheson. A copy of it's currently available at:
>> https://archive.org/details/TheLastMan_onEarth
>> It's a typical American International Pictures black-and-white
>> product from back in the day. It foreshadows the
>> _Night of the Living Dead_ (1968), which appears four years later.
>
> Don't forget /The Omega Man/ (1971), with Charlton Heston as the last
> man. Hey, at least it was in color!

And the movie "Repo Men" which is about repossessing medical "parts"
from people: hearts, kidneys, etc, etc, etc.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Repo_Men

Lynn

--- NewsGate v1.0 gamma 2

From: J. Clarke (1:396/4)
To: n/a
Date: Thu, 13.08.20 10:37
Re: [tor dot com] Five Science-Fictional Approaches to Healthcare
From: J. Clarke <jclarke.873638@gmail.com>

On Thu, 13 Aug 2020 12:24:23 -0000 (UTC), Don <g@crcomp.net> wrote:

>James Nicoll <jdnicoll@panix.com> wrote:
>>
>> Five Science-Fictional Approaches to Healthcare

https://www.tor.com/2020/08/12/five-science-fictional-approaches-to-healthcare/

>An excerpt from your review:
>
> Doctors Wells and Kellis set out to create engineered viruses aimed at
> eliminating cancer and the common cold. An unscheduled, unsanctioned
> field test revealed that their creation was wildly successful...in the
> sense that neither cancer nor the common cold was anyone s primary
> health problem once the virus spread. Pity about the global zombie
> apocalypse that followed, but you can't make an omelette without
> breaking some eggs!
>
>These plot points ought to be familiar to people who watched the
>_I Am Legend_ (2007) movie. The movie's another Hollywood treatment of
>the novel _I Am Legend_ (Matheson, 1954).
> Instead of Los Angeles, the treatment uses a brownstone near
>Columbus Circle as a setting. The brownstone's fortified and has a fully
>equipped lab in its basement. (It's the palace of my own dreams, truth
>be known.Wink
> _The Last Man on Earth_ (1964) is an earlier derivative movie of the
>Matheson. A copy of it's currently available at:
>https://archive.org/details/TheLastMan_onEarth
> It's a typical American International Pictures black-and-white
>product from back in the day. It foreshadows the
>_Night of the Living Dead_ (1968), which appears four years later.

Note that the Mira Grant stories are much more modern in approach--the
protagonists are bloggers in a world where blogging has become
regarded as legitimate journalism on a par with established
newspapers. And there is a conspiracy . . .

--- NewsGate v1.0 gamma 2

From: Lynn McGuire (1:396/4)
To: n/a
Date: Thu, 13.08.20 08:40
Re: [tor dot com] Five Science-Fictional Approaches to Healthcare
From: Lynn McGuire <lynnmcguire5@gmail.com>

On 8/13/2020 5:37 PM, J. Clarke wrote:
> On Thu, 13 Aug 2020 12:24:23 -0000 (UTC), Don <g@crcomp.net> wrote:
>
>> James Nicoll <jdnicoll@panix.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> Five Science-Fictional Approaches to Healthcare

https://www.tor.com/2020/08/12/five-science-fictional-approaches-to-healthcare/

>> An excerpt from your review:
>>
>> Doctors Wells and Kellis set out to create engineered viruses aimed at
>> eliminating cancer and the common cold. An unscheduled, unsanctioned
>> field test revealed that their creation was wildly successful...in the
>> sense that neither cancer nor the common cold was anyone s primary
>> health problem once the virus spread. Pity about the global zombie
>> apocalypse that followed, but you can't make an omelette without
>> breaking some eggs!
>>
>> These plot points ought to be familiar to people who watched the
>> _I Am Legend_ (2007) movie. The movie's another Hollywood treatment of
>> the novel _I Am Legend_ (Matheson, 1954).
>> Instead of Los Angeles, the treatment uses a brownstone near
>> Columbus Circle as a setting. The brownstone's fortified and has a fully
>> equipped lab in its basement. (It's the palace of my own dreams, truth
>> be known.Wink
>> _The Last Man on Earth_ (1964) is an earlier derivative movie of the
>> Matheson. A copy of it's currently available at:
>> https://archive.org/details/TheLastMan_onEarth
>> It's a typical American International Pictures black-and-white
>> product from back in the day. It foreshadows the
>> _Night of the Living Dead_ (1968), which appears four years later.
>
> Note that the Mira Grant stories are much more modern in approach--the
> protagonists are bloggers in a world where blogging has become
> regarded as legitimate journalism on a par with established
> newspapers. And there is a conspiracy . . .

And everyone tests for the virus many times a day. To open a door to a
home or a business, you have to pass an automated tester.

Lynn

--- NewsGate v1.0 gamma 2

From: Dorothy J Heydt (1:396/4)
To: n/a
Date: Thu, 13.08.20 18:56
Re: [tor dot com] Five Science-Fictional Approaches to Healthcare
From: djheydt@kithrup.com (Dorothy J Heydt)

In article <51gbjft0598qh0cn607uajtegqlmukmjot@4ax.com>,
J. Clarke <jclarke.873638@gmail.com> wrote:
>On Thu, 13 Aug 2020 12:24:23 -0000 (UTC), Don <g@crcomp.net> wrote:
>
>>James Nicoll <jdnicoll@panix.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> Five Science-Fictional Approaches to Healthcare
>>>
>https://www.tor.com/2020/08/12/five-science-fictional-approaches-to-healthcare/

>>An excerpt from your review:
>>
>> Doctors Wells and Kellis set out to create engineered viruses aimed at
>> eliminating cancer and the common cold. An unscheduled, unsanctioned
>> field test revealed that their creation was wildly successful...in the
>> sense that neither cancer nor the common cold was anyone s primary
>> health problem once the virus spread. Pity about the global zombie
>> apocalypse that followed, but you can't make an omelette without
>> breaking some eggs!
>>
>>These plot points ought to be familiar to people who watched the
>>_I Am Legend_ (2007) movie. The movie's another Hollywood treatment of
>>the novel _I Am Legend_ (Matheson, 1954).
>> Instead of Los Angeles, the treatment uses a brownstone near
>>Columbus Circle as a setting. The brownstone's fortified and has a fully
>>equipped lab in its basement. (It's the palace of my own dreams, truth
>>be known.Wink
>> _The Last Man on Earth_ (1964) is an earlier derivative movie of the
>>Matheson. A copy of it's currently available at:
>>https://archive.org/details/TheLastMan_onEarth
>> It's a typical American International Pictures black-and-white
>>product from back in the day. It foreshadows the
>>_Night of the Living Dead_ (1968), which appears four years later.
>
>Note that the Mira Grant stories are much more modern in approach--the
>protagonists are bloggers in a world where blogging has become
>regarded as legitimate journalism on a par with established
>newspapers. And there is a conspiracy . . .

Figures. Mira Grant (who is really Seanan McGuire, as you
probably know) has had a long correspondence with the CDC over
public-health measures. Sometimes they ask *her.* Sometimes she
makes a suggestion and they say, "Oh, God, no, don't do that!"

She's an interesting person. She and my daughter are long-term
friends and former co-workers. She now lives in Seattle, and my
daughter showed me a video she sent last night; one of the things
Seanan does is to tend and (with luck) bring to maturity all
kinds of endangered species. The ones she was transferring to
the habitat in this video were tiny little South Asian mantids.
Incredibly cute, about the size of a large fly (but they're on
their second molt, they will grow larger).

--
Dorothy J. Heydt
Vallejo, California

From: Paul S Person (1:396/4)
To: n/a
Date: Thu, 13.08.20 22:02
Re: [tor dot com] Five Science-Fictional Approaches to Healthcare
From: Paul S Person <psperson1@ix.netcom.invalid>

On Thu, 13 Aug 2020 17:13:54 -0500, Lynn McGuire
<lynnmcguire5@gmail.com> wrote:

>On 8/13/2020 11:04 AM, Paul S Person wrote:

https://www.tor.com/2020/08/12/five-science-fictional-approaches-to-healthcare/

>>> An excerpt from your review:
>>>
>>> Doctors Wells and Kellis set out to create engineered viruses aimed at
>>> eliminating cancer and the common cold. An unscheduled, unsanctioned
>>> field test revealed that their creation was wildly successful...in the
>>> sense that neither cancer nor the common cold was anyone s primary
>>> health problem once the virus spread. Pity about the global zombie
>>> apocalypse that followed, but you can't make an omelette without
>>> breaking some eggs!
>>>
>>> These plot points ought to be familiar to people who watched the
>>> _I Am Legend_ (2007) movie. The movie's another Hollywood treatment of
>>> the novel _I Am Legend_ (Matheson, 1954).
>>> Instead of Los Angeles, the treatment uses a brownstone near
>>> Columbus Circle as a setting. The brownstone's fortified and has a fully
>>> equipped lab in its basement. (It's the palace of my own dreams, truth
>>> be known.Wink
>>> _The Last Man on Earth_ (1964) is an earlier derivative movie of the
>>> Matheson. A copy of it's currently available at:
>>> https://archive.org/details/TheLastMan_onEarth
>>> It's a typical American International Pictures black-and-white
>>> product from back in the day. It foreshadows the
>>> _Night of the Living Dead_ (1968), which appears four years later.
>>
>> Don't forget /The Omega Man/ (1971), with Charlton Heston as the last
>> man. Hey, at least it was in color!
>
>And the movie "Repo Men" which is about repossessing medical "parts"
>from people: hearts, kidneys, etc, etc, etc.
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Repo_Men

Missed that one.

But /Repo! The Genetic Opera/ also features artificial organs ... and
their repos. Rev up those buzzsaws!
--
"I begin to envy Petronius."
"I have envied him long since."

From: Mike Van Pelt (1:396/4)
To: n/a
Date: Fri, 14.08.20 16:52
Re: [tor dot com] Five Science-Fictional Approaches to Healthcare
From: mvp@shell.calweb.com (Mike Van Pelt)

In article <qF0yEM.zH4@kithrup.com>,
Dorothy J Heydt <djheydt@kithrup.com> wrote:
>Figures. Mira Grant (who is really Seanan McGuire, as you
>probably know) has had a long correspondence with the CDC over
>public-health measures. Sometimes they ask *her.* Sometimes she
>makes a suggestion and they say, "Oh, God, no, don't do that!"

Favorite Seanan McGuire story: The year she was chair
of BayCon, she happened into the filk room just as
Maya Kaathryn Bohnhoff was starting "The Night Kaga
Brought the Lutefisk Down."

She collapsed over a chair, completely incapacitated
with laughter. Like, to the point of turning blue.

She'd fallen on her radio, and we could hear "Seanan?
Seanan? Are you all right?"

--
Mike Van Pelt | "I don't advise it unless you're nuts."
mvp at calweb.com | -- Ray Wilkinson, after riding out Hurricane