Fidonet Portal

From: Nigel Reed (1:124/5016)
To: n/a
Date: Mon, 10.08.20 02:42
Trying to study for extra
Hi all,

I've been studying some of these questions for the Extra exam and I am having
a bit of difficulty. I think the biggest block is the fact that I'm never
likely to need half the stuff I have to remember, and if I ever do, I'm going
to look it up on the internet.

If I'm going to build an antenna, you bet your life I'm going to find one on
the internet that someone has already designed, tested, and tweaked.

So for those who have recently studied and passed the extra, how do you get
this stuff to stick in your mind long enough to pass the test?
--- SBBSecho 3.11-Linux
* Origin: End Of The Line BBS - endofthelinebbs.com (1:124/5016)

From: Nigel Reed (1:124/5016)
To: n/a
Date: Thu, 13.08.20 05:09
Re: Trying to study for extra
Daryl wrote:
> NR> So for those who have recently studied and passed the extra, how do you
> NR> get this stuff to stick in your mind long enough to pass the test?
>
> I used HamTestOnline, studying 2 hours a day for 2 weeks. I barely
> passed the test (back in 2007), but it was good enough. If you can
> get a good grasp on the rest of the stuff, you don't have to worry
> about the math and electronic theory...which weren't my high points,
> either.
>
> HamTestOnline does offer a money back guarantee, if you fail the exam.
> But, in using them, I went from Technician to General in 14 days, and
> from General to Amateur Extra 13 days later. To me, it was the best money
> I ever spent in ham radio.

I may invest if I can find the time to indulge myself in 2 weeks of relentless
bombardment of facts, figures, and forumlas that I will never care about
again, probably Smile

The only other thing is me balking at the cost of a decent radio setup.

From: Andre Robitaille (1:154/70)
To: n/a
Date: Thu, 13.08.20 09:30
Re: Trying to study for extra
On 10 Aug 2020, Nigel Reed said the following...

NR> I'm never likely to need half the stuff I have to remember, and if I

Then I'd argue you probably don't need extra. After a little over two years
into radio, I've used something from every section of the test except
sat, and even that knowledge I've used in discussions with people.

Why are you interested in extra?

NR> If I'm going to build an antenna, you bet your life I'm going to find
NR> one on the internet that someone has already designed, tested, and
NR> tweaked.

I can tell you in no uncertain terms, every antenna you buy or built, *maybe*
with the exception of a loop or metal vertical, is going to need some antenna
knowledge to get the best performance out of it.

I have operated with plenty of people of all sorts, including a bunch with
extra class, and about 80% of them have damn near no idea what they're doing
with antennas, setup, and/or operating. I promise that if you learn what's in
extra and put it into practice as you need it, you'll find value in it.

NR> So for those who have recently studied and passed the extra, how do you
NR> get this stuff to stick in your mind long enough to pass the test?

Everyone is different. My son, Etienne, memorizes well and just used
hamstudy.org to memorize the easy parts. Then he used The Fast Track to Your
Extra... by Michael Burnette audio book for the harder parts.

I used hamstudy for the parts I mostly already knew. Then for the harder
parts, especially electronics, I would listen to the Fast Track book on 1.25x
and follow along with the regular book.

Etienne passed with a couple wrong answers. I did worse. He was eleven at the
time. :-/

- Andre, WI9AJR

--- Mystic BBS v1.12 A45 2020/02/18 (Raspberry Pi/32)
* Origin: Runaan BBS (1:154/70)

From: Nigel Reed (1:124/5016)
To: n/a
Date: Thu, 13.08.20 13:07
Re: Trying to study for extra
Re: Re: Trying to study for extra
By: Andre Robitaille to Nigel Reed on Thu Aug 13 2020 07:30:16

> Then I'd argue you probably don't need extra. After a little over two years
> into radio, I've used something from every section of the test except
> sat, and even that knowledge I've used in discussions with people.

THe main reason for it is trying not to remember which frequencies I can use as
tech and which I can't. It also means that if I'm eventually going to put down
stupid amounts of money for an antenna and radio setup, I'll be able to get one
that covers all the frequencies, not wasting any, and not having to upgrade
later.

> I have operated with plenty of people of all sorts, including a bunch with
> extra class, and about 80% of them have damn near no idea what they're doing
> with antennas, setup, and/or operating. I promise that if you learn what's
> in extra and put it into practice as you need it, you'll find value in it.

I guess it's not a matter of not needing it, but not having to needing to
remember it when we have plenty of instant online resources. It'd probably be
quicker for me to look up some forumla calculator on Google than to perform it
myself.

I really don't think I'm ever going to need stuff like "What is a typical range
for tropospheric propagation of microwave signals?"

> I used hamstudy for the parts I mostly already knew. Then for the harder
> parts, especially electronics, I would listen to the Fast Track book on
> 1.25x and follow along with the regular book.

I used hamstudy.org to get me through my General. I really have no idea how I
passed my Technician. I think it was more luck than skill.

From: Andre Robitaille (1:154/70)
To: n/a
Date: Fri, 14.08.20 00:13
Re: Trying to study for extra
On 13 Aug 2020, Nigel Reed said the following...

NR> THe main reason for it is trying not to remember which frequencies I can
NR> use as tech and which I can't. It also means that if I'm eventually

That's one of the two main reasons I did it. When contesting, I was finding
people just below the general limits. The second reason is that I was pretty
sure I could get my son's picture in QST magazine if I did it right.

NR> going to put down stupid amounts of money for an antenna and radio
NR> setup, I'll be able to get one that covers all the frequencies, not
NR> wasting any, and not having to upgrade later.

I'm not really following this line of thinking.

NR> I guess it's not a matter of not needing it, but not having to needing to
NR> remember it when we have plenty of instant online resources. It'd
NR> probably be quicker for me to look up some forumla calculator on Google
NR> than to perform it myself.

For forumlas, definitely. But for everything else, whether on the electonics
bench or out working on antennas or operating, I don't want to keep heading
to the internet over and over. And besides, I've never found something for
radio on the internet that worked perfectly without tweaking.

NR> I really don't think I'm ever going to need stuff like "What is a
NR> typical range for tropospheric propagation of microwave signals?"

Guess you're not interested in mesh networking yet. Smile

- Andre

From: Nigel Reed (1:124/5016)
To: n/a
Date: Fri, 14.08.20 13:23
Re: Trying to study for extra
Re: Re: Trying to study for extra
By: Andre Robitaille to Nigel Reed on Thu Aug 13 2020 22:13:34

> I'm not really following this line of thinking.

Not at all.

From: Andre Robitaille (1:154/70)
To: n/a
Date: Fri, 14.08.20 15:15
Re: Trying to study for extra
On 14 Aug 2020, Nigel Reed said the following...

NR> > I'm not really following this line of thinking.
NR>
NR> Not at all.

Meaning that general has access to every band that extra does. So any radio
or antenna you buy to cover band X will be accessible whether you are a
general or an extra.

Same mostly goes for antennas, though as a general you'd have a different
center of band to tune the antenna.

- Andre`

From: Andre Robitaille (1:154/70)
To: n/a
Date: Sat, 15.08.20 15:20
Re: Trying to study for extra
On 15 Aug 2020, Mike Miller said the following...

MM> $3 from the app store (I have an Android phone, I'm pretty sure it's
MM> also available on iOS). All it does is ask you the questions on the

It is available on iOS and iPad OS.

MM> once a day. It will also tell you how much of the question pool you've
MM> seen/answered.

That reminds me. For extra, I only did one section at a time until I got up
over 80% competency, then moved to the next section. Only after hitting 80%
in each section did I start using the complete pool.

MM> I have a friend who just took (and passed, first time) his extra exam
MM> using this app. he said once he had seen 100% of the question pool, his
MM> test scores shot up to around 90%, which is a comfortable range to pass
MM> the actual test.

80% on practice exams is fine. It's feasible that you'll get a bad exam and
fail, but that won't happen twice. I used the 80% mark on all three exams and
passed all three of them on the first try. My son did the same and scored
higher on all three exams than I did.

- Andre, WT9X