Fidonet Portal

From: Benjamin Toussaint (2:240/8001.19)
To: n/a
Date: Thu, 06.08.20 12:38
Picard
Hello everyone,

recently I started watching the series on Prime. Before I have been
listening to the audio book which appeared to be a totally different story
line (although the story itself is the same).

Still it is not like the Star Trek I used to love (TNG, DS9, VOY) although
it has quite a lot of nostalgia moments.

What I always loved about "my" ST was that it showed a world that I wanted
to live in. And of course the exploring of new people, stars and
technologies among with ethical and philosophical implications.

Except for Picard both following Series were f*****g prequels. That I find
opposing to the look at the future.

How did you percieve Picard?

Cheers,
Benjamin

--- OpenXP 5.0.42
* Origin: (2:240/8001.19)

From: Daniel (1:340/7)
To: n/a
Date: Thu, 06.08.20 19:58
Re: Picard
-=> Benjamin Toussaint wrote to All <=-

BT> Hello everyone,

BT> recently I started watching the series on Prime. Before I have been
BT> listening to the audio book which appeared to be a totally different
BT> story line (although the story itself is the same).

BT> Still it is not like the Star Trek I used to love (TNG, DS9, VOY)
BT> although it has quite a lot of nostalgia moments.

BT> What I always loved about "my" ST was that it showed a world that I
BT> wanted to live in. And of course the exploring of new people, stars and
BT> technologies among with ethical and philosophical implications.

BT> Except for Picard both following Series were f*****g prequels. That I
BT> find opposing to the look at the future.

BT> How did you percieve Picard?

I gave Picard a try after downloading a torrent. After a few episodes I gave
up. To me it is an empty shell of TNG. I would do a complete review but that
would require a complete viewing of the season.

Like the reboot movies, the show is made for young people who grew up without
Star Trek. The franchise is done with, if you ask me. At least I have the dvd
collections of TOS, TNG, and DS9. I liked Voyager despite the rushed finale
season.

During his promo tour of the talkshow circuit, Stewart said that the show would
be specifically written to combat Trump. I knew it was going to be a steaming
pile of turds. I'm surprised he didn't cast DeNiro.

Star Trek died with Roddenberry.

Daniel Traechin

... Visit me at gopher://gcpp.world
--- MultiMail/Linux v0.49
* Origin: Digital Distortion: digdist.synchro.net (1:340/7)

From: Benjamin Toussaint (2:240/8001.19)
To: n/a
Date: Tue, 25.08.20 10:27
Re: Picard
> I gave Picard a try after downloading a torrent. After a few episodes I
gave
> up. To me it is an empty shell of TNG. I would do a complete review but
that
> would require a complete viewing of the season.

I am still viewing it. I agree that it is not even close to what Star Trek
TNG was like.
What I specifically loved about that was the exploring mission with few
self centered political issues or combat / battle scenes.
And that almost every single episode made sense on its own. Although
streaming technology makes it impossible to miss an episode, it used to be
like having one philosophical thought discussed within one episode.

> Like the reboot movies, the show is made for young people who grew up
> without Star Trek. The franchise is done with, if you ask me. At least I
> have the dvd collections of TOS, TNG, and DS9. I liked Voyager despite
the
> rushed finale season.

Yeah, I liked those as well. Enterprise has too much fighting and from
season 2 it started having a running plot through the whole show. But
still I liked watching it.
But ST - to me - has to be about future and optimism. I cannot find much
of that in Picard or any Prequel.

> During his promo tour of the talkshow circuit, Stewart said that the
show
> would be specifically written to combat Trump. I knew it was going to be
> steaming pile of turds. I'm surprised he didn't cast DeNiro.

Trump is just an expression of losing a common ground of facts and the
impact of believing whatever is pleasant to believe. A sickness of many
democracies nowadays. But something like the TNG series gave hope for a
brighter future to many nerds out there.

> Star Trek died with Roddenberry.

I would not go that far. But it completely went to the wrong direction I
think.

--- OpenXP 5.0.42
* Origin: (2:240/8001.19)

From: Daniel (1:340/7)
To: n/a
Date: Thu, 27.08.20 09:52
Re: Picard
-=> Benjamin Toussaint wrote to Daniel <=-

> I gave Picard a try after downloading a torrent. After a few episodes I
BT> gave
> up. To me it is an empty shell of TNG. I would do a complete review but
BT> that
> would require a complete viewing of the season.

BT> I am still viewing it. I agree that it is not even close to what Star
BT> Trek TNG was like.
BT> What I specifically loved about that was the exploring mission with few
BT> self centered political issues or combat / battle scenes.
BT> And that almost every single episode made sense on its own. Although
BT> streaming technology makes it impossible to miss an episode, it used to
BT> be like having one philosophical thought discussed within one episode.

I never caught Enterprise. I tried a few episodes and I couldn't get into
it. But the ship did look like an Akira class which rates as among a favorite
type for me.

Plus, I didn't really like the cast.

> Like the reboot movies, the show is made for young people who grew up
> without Star Trek. The franchise is done with, if you ask me. At least I
> have the dvd collections of TOS, TNG, and DS9. I liked Voyager despite
BT> the
> rushed finale season.

BT> Yeah, I liked those as well. Enterprise has too much fighting and from
BT> season 2 it started having a running plot through the whole show. But
BT> still I liked watching it.
BT> But ST - to me - has to be about future and optimism. I cannot find
BT> much of that in Picard or any Prequel.

Yeah, it's generic sci-fi in Star Trek clothes.

> During his promo tour of the talkshow circuit, Stewart said that the
BT> show
> would be specifically written to combat Trump. I knew it was going to be
> steaming pile of turds. I'm surprised he didn't cast DeNiro.

BT> Trump is just an expression of losing a common ground of facts and the
BT> impact of believing whatever is pleasant to believe. A sickness of many
BT> democracies nowadays. But something like the TNG series gave hope for a
BT> brighter future to many nerds out there.

Well, Stewart said it was his way of combatting Trump. He made it about
him and his hate and not about the fans. Interesting take you have, but I'm
sure
this isn't a forum for political debate. So I'll keep it at that.

> Star Trek died with Roddenberry.

BT> I would not go that far. But it completely went to the wrong direction
BT> I think.

I was just getting it off my chest.

Disney killed Star Wars and the passage of time killed Star Trek. My two loves
of science fiction and fantasy are history.

From: Benjamin Toussaint (2:240/8001.19)
To: n/a
Date: Fri, 04.09.20 13:10
Re: Picard
> I never caught Enterprise. I tried a few episodes and I couldn't get into
> it. But the ship did look like an Akira class which rates as among a
> favorite type for me.

> Plus, I didn't really like the cast.

I do not like prequels in general. The cast is something you need to get
used to, but still it was "more Star Trek-y" than anything else that came
after it.

Discovery is as you say later "usual SciFi with Star Trek clothes".

> Well, Stewart said it was his way of combatting Trump. He made it about
> him and his hate and not about the fans. Interesting take you have, but I'm
> sure
> this isn't a forum for political debate. So I'll keep it at that.

The original ST does have a lot of political statements related to the
time it was made. But instead of criticism against political actors,
especially not specific ones, ST used to show a vision about better
alternatives and kept the science within the fiction as "possible as
possible".
This is probably the reason so many nerds and science people love it.

To me, dreaming about a better world and thinking how to achieve it has
always been a way better attitude than ranting about the existing one.

> I was just getting it off my chest.
> Disney killed Star Wars and the passage of time killed Star Trek. My two
> loves of science fiction and fantasy are history.

Yes... we will likely have to accept, that "our" Star Trek might never
return again.

--- OpenXP 5.0.42
* Origin: (2:240/8001.19)

From: Daniel (1:340/7)
To: n/a
Date: Thu, 10.09.20 09:02
Re: Picard
-=> Benjamin Toussaint wrote to Daniel <=-

> I never caught Enterprise. I tried a few episodes and I couldn't get into
> it. But the ship did look like an Akira class which rates as among a
> favorite type for me.

> Plus, I didn't really like the cast.

BT> I do not like prequels in general. The cast is something you need to
BT> get used to, but still it was "more Star Trek-y" than anything else
BT> that came after it.

Valid point.

BT> The original ST does have a lot of political statements related to the
BT> time it was made. But instead of criticism against political actors,
BT> especially not specific ones, ST used to show a vision about better
BT> alternatives and kept the science within the fiction as "possible as
BT> possible".
BT> This is probably the reason so many nerds and science people love it.

Quite true. In my view, those 'statements' regarding political events or
policies seemed to wax philosophical. They seemed to be intellectual exercise
or
thought experiment on moral implications.

Think of the episode 'Who's watching the Watchers' from Season 3 of TNG. It was
a brilliant exercise on the long term manipulation of an entire people when
they
mistake Picard for an ancient mythological god when the culture had long
discarded their myths.

Picard took a stand by stating that in doing so, he would be erasing their
achievement.

Quote: 'Millenia ago they abandoned their belief in the supernatural. Now you
are asking me to sabotage that achievement. To send them back into the dark
ages
of superstition and ignorance and fear? No.'

One of my favorite stands. But it discussed an important moral stand. In modern
day discussions, there are indigenous groups of human in various areas of the
world who are uncontacted. There is a push to contact them and civilize them,
while the local governments have banned such practices and allowing them to
live
in peace.

BT> To me, dreaming about a better world and thinking how to achieve it has
BT> always been a way better attitude than ranting about the existing one.

Totally.

BT> Yes... we will likely have to accept, that "our" Star Trek might never
BT> return again.

mhm Sad