Fidonet Portal

From: Lynn McGuire (1:396/4)
To: n/a
Date: Sun, 19.07.20 08:48
"The Old Guard" (2020) by John Varley
From: Lynn McGuire <lynnmcguire5@gmail.com>

"The Old Guard" (2020) by John Varley
https://varley.net/movie_review/old-guard/

"Don t much care for comic books or graphic novels, but every so often
one comes along that is intelligent and worthwhile as an action movie.
This is one, very much so. Greg Rucka wrote the book and the screenplay,
and it is about a small group of immortals, who can recover from any
injury. This is unexplained, and unlikely, but qualifies as the One Big
Given that any SF story is allowed. The oldest of them is Andromache of
Scythia (Charlize Theron), known as Andy, who is about 6,700 years old
and dreadfully tired of living. The youngest fought for Napoleon. The
four have been trying to do one simple thing over the centuries, and
that is to make the world a better place, as any good super-hero should
do. They do good as much as they are able, but just look around you.
Have they really made a dent in the evil in the world? Not so much. But
what else is there to do?"

On Netflix. The movie was a blood bath. Recommended. I have not read
the book.
https://www.netflix.com/title/81038963

Lynn
--- NewsGate v1.0 gamma 2

From: J. Clarke (1:396/4)
To: n/a
Date: Sun, 19.07.20 13:25
Re: "The Old Guard" (2020) by John Varley
From: J. Clarke <jclarke.873638@gmail.com>

On Sun, 19 Jul 2020 17:48:45 -0500, Lynn McGuire
<lynnmcguire5@gmail.com> wrote:

>"The Old Guard" (2020) by John Varley
> https://varley.net/movie_review/old-guard/
>
>"Don t much care for comic books or graphic novels, but every so often
>one comes along that is intelligent and worthwhile as an action movie.
>This is one, very much so. Greg Rucka wrote the book and the screenplay,
>and it is about a small group of immortals, who can recover from any
>injury. This is unexplained, and unlikely, but qualifies as the One Big
>Given that any SF story is allowed. The oldest of them is Andromache of
>Scythia (Charlize Theron), known as Andy, who is about 6,700 years old
>and dreadfully tired of living. The youngest fought for Napoleon. The
>four have been trying to do one simple thing over the centuries, and
>that is to make the world a better place, as any good super-hero should
>do. They do good as much as they are able, but just look around you.
>Have they really made a dent in the evil in the world? Not so much. But
>what else is there to do?"
>
>On Netflix. The movie was a blood bath. Recommended. I have not read
>the book.
> https://www.netflix.com/title/81038963

You had me at "Charlize Theron".

>Lynn
--- NewsGate v1.0 gamma 2

From: Lynn McGuire (1:396/4)
To: n/a
Date: Sun, 19.07.20 13:42
Re: "The Old Guard" (2020) by John Varley
From: Lynn McGuire <lynnmcguire5@gmail.com>

On 7/19/2020 8:25 PM, J. Clarke wrote:
> On Sun, 19 Jul 2020 17:48:45 -0500, Lynn McGuire
> <lynnmcguire5@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> "The Old Guard" (2020) by John Varley
>> https://varley.net/movie_review/old-guard/
>>
>> "Don t much care for comic books or graphic novels, but every so often
>> one comes along that is intelligent and worthwhile as an action movie.
>> This is one, very much so. Greg Rucka wrote the book and the screenplay,
>> and it is about a small group of immortals, who can recover from any
>> injury. This is unexplained, and unlikely, but qualifies as the One Big
>> Given that any SF story is allowed. The oldest of them is Andromache of
>> Scythia (Charlize Theron), known as Andy, who is about 6,700 years old
>> and dreadfully tired of living. The youngest fought for Napoleon. The
>> four have been trying to do one simple thing over the centuries, and
>> that is to make the world a better place, as any good super-hero should
>> do. They do good as much as they are able, but just look around you.
>> Have they really made a dent in the evil in the world? Not so much. But
>> what else is there to do?"
>>
>> On Netflix. The movie was a blood bath. Recommended. I have not read
>> the book.
>> https://www.netflix.com/title/81038963
>
> You had me at "Charlize Theron".
>>
>> Lynn

I suspect that Netflix is going to make it into a series minus Charlize
Theron. Or maybe with her, who knows ? I was impressed with her in the
last Mad Max movie, she nailed it in this one. Shoot, they could have
made her recite Arnold s crush your enemies speech and I believe she
could have pulled it off. The battle axe she uses in the movie is
wicked bad.

Lynn
--- NewsGate v1.0 gamma 2

From: Dorothy J Heydt (1:396/4)
To: n/a
Date: Mon, 20.07.20 01:37
Re: "The Old Guard" (2020) by John Varley
From: djheydt@kithrup.com (Dorothy J Heydt)

In article <1js9hfhg7tferf12uh1hsbgl8oaemupsm4@4ax.com>,
J. Clarke <jclarke.873638@gmail.com> wrote:
>On Sun, 19 Jul 2020 17:48:45 -0500, Lynn McGuire
><lynnmcguire5@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>>"The Old Guard" (2020) by John Varley
>> https://varley.net/movie_review/old-guard/
>>
>>"Don t much care for comic books or graphic novels, but every so often
>>one comes along that is intelligent and worthwhile as an action movie.
>>This is one, very much so. Greg Rucka wrote the book and the screenplay,
>>and it is about a small group of immortals, who can recover from any
>>injury. This is unexplained, and unlikely, but qualifies as the One Big
>>Given that any SF story is allowed. The oldest of them is Andromache of
>>Scythia (Charlize Theron), known as Andy, who is about 6,700 years old
>>and dreadfully tired of living. The youngest fought for Napoleon. The
>>four have been trying to do one simple thing over the centuries, and
>>that is to make the world a better place, as any good super-hero should
>>do. They do good as much as they are able, but just look around you.
>>Have they really made a dent in the evil in the world? Not so much. But
>>what else is there to do?"
>>
>>On Netflix. The movie was a blood bath. Recommended. I have not read
>>the book.
>> https://www.netflix.com/title/81038963
>
>You had me at "Charlize Theron".

So did the mention of her name induce you to watch the thing, or
not to?

--
Dorothy J. Heydt
Vallejo, California

From: J. Clarke (1:396/4)
To: n/a
Date: Mon, 20.07.20 01:23
Re: "The Old Guard" (2020) by John Varley
From: J. Clarke <jclarke.873638@gmail.com>

On Mon, 20 Jul 2020 05:37:11 GMT, djheydt@kithrup.com (Dorothy J
Heydt) wrote:

>In article <1js9hfhg7tferf12uh1hsbgl8oaemupsm4@4ax.com>,
>J. Clarke <jclarke.873638@gmail.com> wrote:
>>On Sun, 19 Jul 2020 17:48:45 -0500, Lynn McGuire
>><lynnmcguire5@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>>"The Old Guard" (2020) by John Varley
>>> https://varley.net/movie_review/old-guard/
>>>
>>>"Don t much care for comic books or graphic novels, but every so often
>>>one comes along that is intelligent and worthwhile as an action movie.
>>>This is one, very much so. Greg Rucka wrote the book and the screenplay,
>>>and it is about a small group of immortals, who can recover from any
>>>injury. This is unexplained, and unlikely, but qualifies as the One Big
>>>Given that any SF story is allowed. The oldest of them is Andromache of
>>>Scythia (Charlize Theron), known as Andy, who is about 6,700 years old
>>>and dreadfully tired of living. The youngest fought for Napoleon. The
>>>four have been trying to do one simple thing over the centuries, and
>>>that is to make the world a better place, as any good super-hero should
>>>do. They do good as much as they are able, but just look around you.
>>>Have they really made a dent in the evil in the world? Not so much. But
>>>what else is there to do?"
>>>
>>>On Netflix. The movie was a blood bath. Recommended. I have not read
>>>the book.
>>> https://www.netflix.com/title/81038963
>>
>>You had me at "Charlize Theron".
>
>So did the mention of her name induce you to watch the thing, or
>not to?

Neither, it induced me to put it on my "to watch when time is
available" list.
--- NewsGate v1.0 gamma 2

From: Christian Weisgerber (1:396/4)
To: n/a
Date: Mon, 20.07.20 11:36
Re: "The Old Guard" (2020) by John Varley
From: Christian Weisgerber <naddy@mips.inka.de>

On 2020-07-20, Lynn McGuire <lynnmcguire5@gmail.com> wrote:

> I suspect that Netflix is going to make it into a series minus Charlize
> Theron. Or maybe with her, who knows ?

It doesn't have to be military or biomed. Let's have a sequel where
the immortals are hunted by a crack team of historical linguists
who REALLY want to interview them at length. Smile

--
Christian "naddy" Weisgerber naddy@mips.inka.de
--- NewsGate v1.0 gamma 2

From: Lynn McGuire (1:396/4)
To: n/a
Date: Mon, 20.07.20 03:28
Re: "The Old Guard" (2020) by John Varley
From: Lynn McGuire <lynnmcguire5@gmail.com>

On 7/20/2020 10:36 AM, Christian Weisgerber wrote:
> On 2020-07-20, Lynn McGuire <lynnmcguire5@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> I suspect that Netflix is going to make it into a series minus Charlize
>> Theron. Or maybe with her, who knows ?
>
> It doesn't have to be military or biomed. Let's have a sequel where
> the immortals are hunted by a crack team of historical linguists
> who REALLY want to interview them at length. Smile

ROTFLMAO.

+1

Of course, Chiwetel Ejiofor's character in the movie did build a
thousand year timeline of the immortals exploits over the last millenium.
https://www.imdb.com/name/nm0252230/

Lynn
--- NewsGate v1.0 gamma 2

From: Paul S Person (1:396/4)
To: n/a
Date: Sun, 26.07.20 22:03
Re: "The Old Guard" (2020) by John Varley
From: Paul S Person <psperson1@ix.netcom.invalid>

On Sun, 26 Jul 2020 13:11:37 -0700, BCFD36 <bcfd36@cruzio.com> wrote:

>On 7/26/20 09:14, Lynn McGuire wrote:
>>>>
>>> [stuff deleted]

>>> Watched it tonight. My wife was "Meh". I liked it. And yes, the main
>>> attraction was Ms. Theron. But it was still quite watchable and the
>>> young Marine was rather fetching.
>>
>> Yup, you are the target audience. Did it make you want to read the
>> graphic novels ? Me, I don't like graphic novels so, no.
>> https://www.amazon.com/Old-Guard-Book-One-Opening/dp/1534302409/
>>
>> Lynn
>
>Not so sure I am the actual target audience. Ms. Theron would be in the
>target audience of any straight male with even a smidgeon of a sex
>drive, as well as other audiences.
>
>Who targets 64 y.o. males except reverse mortgage companies and Medigap
>insurance?

Which, in my experence over the last 9 years or so, will be your
constant (if intermittant) companions from here on out.

--
"I begin to envy Petronius."
"I have envied him long since."

From: BCFD36 (1:396/4)
To: n/a
Date: Sun, 26.07.20 02:11
Re: "The Old Guard" (2020) by John Varley
From: BCFD36 <bcfd36@cruzio.com>

On 7/26/20 09:14, Lynn McGuire wrote:
> On 7/26/2020 3:05 AM, BCFD36 wrote:
>> On 7/19/20 15:48, Lynn McGuire wrote:
>>> "The Old Guard" (2020) by John Varley
>>> https://varley.net/movie_review/old-guard/
>>>
>> [stuff deleted]
>>>
>>> Lynn
>>
>> Watched it tonight. My wife was "Meh". I liked it. And yes, the main
>> attraction was Ms. Theron. But it was still quite watchable and the
>> young Marine was rather fetching.
>
> Yup, you are the target audience. Did it make you want to read the
> graphic novels ? Me, I don't like graphic novels so, no.
> https://www.amazon.com/Old-Guard-Book-One-Opening/dp/1534302409/
>
> Lynn

Not so sure I am the actual target audience. Ms. Theron would be in the
target audience of any straight male with even a smidgeon of a sex
drive, as well as other audiences.

Who targets 64 y.o. males except reverse mortgage companies and Medigap
insurance?

No, I have not looked at the graphic novels. Like you, I don't care for
them.

--
Dave Scruggs
Captain, Boulder Creek Fire (Retired)

From: Lynn McGuire (1:396/4)
To: n/a
Date: Sun, 26.07.20 02:14
Re: "The Old Guard" (2020) by John Varley
From: Lynn McGuire <lynnmcguire5@gmail.com>

From: BCFD36 (1:396/4)
To: n/a
Date: Sat, 25.07.20 14:05
Re: "The Old Guard" (2020) by John Varley
From: BCFD36 <bcfd36@cruzio.com>