Fidonet Portal

From: Joe Schweier (1:342/200)
To: n/a
Date: Wed, 08.07.20 11:27
Message to all
If I want to write a message to "ALL"... what do I have to do in WINS to send a
message to all the users...

Thanx
Joe

---
* Origin: Joe's Mail System 1:342/200 -=joesbbs.com=- (1:342/200)

From: Ib Joe (1:342/201)
To: n/a
Date: Tue, 21.07.20 07:46
Re: Message to all
On 19 Jul 2020, Robert Wolfe said the following...
RW> [...]
RW>
RW> -> A plain text file Group List:
RW> ->
RW> -> \wcat\disp\group1.lst
RW> ->
RW> -> comprising a name on each line
RW> ->
RW> -> Bob Brown
RW> -> Jane Doe
RW> -> John Smith
RW> ->
RW> -> Can then be used to Address a Message TO: GROUP 1
RW> ->
RW>
RW> [...]
RW>
RW> -> wcBASIC and the wcBASIC PLUS pack can if desired be used to
RW> -> completely customize the behavior of the ANSI Mail Interface.
RW>
RW> This might be the best way to go, IMO. I might have to come up with some
RW> wcCODE to help out this this process Smile

Keep me posted...

IB Joe
AKA Joe Schweier
SysOp of Joe's BBS
-= JoesBBS.Com =-

--- Mystic BBS v1.12 A45 2020/02/18 (Raspberry Pi/32)
* Origin: Joe's BBS -=JoesBBS.Com=- (1:342/201)

From: Ib Joe (1:342/201)
To: n/a
Date: Wed, 15.07.20 11:04
Re: Message to all
On 13 Jul 2020, Robert Wolfe said the following...

RW> >If I want to write a message to "ALL"... what do I have to do in WINS t
RW> >message to all the users...
RW>
RW>
RW> "All" usually sends the message to "All."

Nope, it doesn't. Writing a message to All in WINServer is like write a
message to ALL in a FidoNET echo. a cc is not sent out to all your users.
Most BBS packages have this feature. I left a message on the WINServer
listserver and what I found out is that I would need to buy the wcReports
package. Santronics, or Mustang Software, made a choice at some point to
spread needed features over 2, 3 or 4 different programs so that a SysOP was
forced to buy 2, 3 or 4 different programs. I have spent soooooo much money
over the years supporting Santronics.... I am just not going to spend an
other dime so that I can cc a message to all my users.

Anyway, Thanx

From: RON PETERS (1:123/140)
To: n/a
Date: Wed, 15.07.20 21:35
Re: Message to all
Joe

I read the Santronics Lists I did see your message.

As you were told you can use a Distribution Group to send a private
message to all users you do not need wcReports.

Regards

Ron
* Origin: Fido Since 1991 | QWK by Web | BBS.FIDOSYSOP.ORG (1:123/140)

From: Ib Joe (1:342/201)
To: n/a
Date: Wed, 15.07.20 21:28
Re: Message to all
On 15 Jul 2020, RON PETERS said the following...

RP> Joe
RP>
RP> I read the Santronics Lists I did see your message.
RP>
RP> As you were told you can use a Distribution Group to send a private
RP> message to all users you do not need wcReports.

I thought Hector added the feature a while back.... and I asked and I've had
no response...
Anyway, good enough!!

From: Ib Joe (1:342/201)
To: n/a
Date: Thu, 16.07.20 14:49
Re: Message to all
On 17 Jul 2020, Robert Wolfe said the following...

RW> -> RW> "All" usually sends the message to "All."
RW> ->
RW> -> Nope, it doesn't. Writing a message to All in WINServer is like
RW> -> write a message to ALL in a FidoNET echo. a cc is not sent out to
RW> -> all your users. Most BBS packages have this feature. I left a
RW> -> message on the WINServer listserver and what I found out is that I
RW> -> would need to buy the wcReports package. Santronics, or Mustang
RW> -> Software, made a choice at some point to spread needed features over
RW> -> 2, 3 or 4 different programs so that a SysOP was forced to buy 2, 3
RW> -> or 4 different programs. I have spent soooooo much over the years
RW> -> supporting Santronics.... I am just not going to spe other dime so
RW> -> that I can cc a message to all my users.
RW>
RW> So you are wanting to send the same message at once to every user on your
RW> system individually? Seems like an easy job for a wcCODE module to me.
RW> But, you are right. A lot of other BBS packages do have this feature
RW> built in.

I know most, if not all, other packages have that built into the package.
Most of these packages are free, and even under development as well. I just
paid a few hundred dollars to get the latest version, up to speed on the
AUP... whatever...
I am a hobbiest. I really don't care about all the extended features some
people may want to use.... I have always leaned towards the terminal side. I
may just keep WINServer as a game server, I have a load of wcx games
registered.... Not sure exactly what do do... we'll see ... Mystic has
everything I want, and more, but I talked myself out of that and paid money
Santronics...

fTelnet kicking my ass like it's 2020 for the rest of my life... learning some
Linux along the way... installed apache web server on my pi to see if I'd get
the same error with a different web server.... and YES I did... piss me off.

More to come....Smile

From: RON PETERS (1:123/140)
To: n/a
Date: Thu, 16.07.20 23:54
Re: Message to all
Hello Joe

Hector Santos added the Distribution List option back in 2004.
* Origin: Fido Since 1991 | QWK by Web | BBS.FIDOSYSOP.ORG (1:123/140)

From: Ib Joe (1:342/201)
To: n/a
Date: Fri, 17.07.20 00:56
Re: Message to all
On 16 Jul 2020, RON PETERS said the following...

RP> Hello Joe
RP>
RP> Hector Santos added the Distribution List option back in 2004.

Interesting.... and you do it how??

From: RON PETERS (1:123/140)
To: n/a
Date: Fri, 17.07.20 10:41
Re: Message to all
Hi Joe

This is a cut and paste of the reply sent to you in the Santronics List:

It would probably be best to follow it up there should you need to do
so.

---- Cut from SSI ----

Messages to ALL are not permitted in Conference: #0 via the
ANSI/Terminal interface.

Conference 0 is intended for Private EMail and To "ALL" Opens up the
risks of SPAM and Private Messages accidentally being sent to ALL.

The Capitalized "ALL" can be used in other Conferences as a valid Public
"TO ALL" message Address.

If you have a small user base you can create a Group Distribution List
and use it in association with Any Conference.

For Example:

A plain text file Group List:

\wcat\disp\group1.lst

comprising a name on each line

Bob Brown
Jane Doe
John Smith

Can then be used to Address a Message TO: GROUP 1

Which would send a CC Copy to users in the Distribution List Group 1

From: Ib Joe (1:342/201)
To: n/a
Date: Fri, 17.07.20 12:27
Re: Message to all
On 17 Jul 2020, RON PETERS said the following...

RP> Hi Joe
RP>
RP> This is a cut and paste of the reply sent to you in the Santronics List:
RP>
RP> It would probably be best to follow it up there should you need to do
RP> so.
RP>
RP> ---- Cut from SSI ----
RP>
RP> Messages to ALL are not permitted in Conference: #0 via the
RP> ANSI/Terminal interface.
RP>
RP> Conference 0 is intended for Private EMail and To "ALL" Opens up the
RP> risks of SPAM and Private Messages accidentally being sent to ALL.
RP>
RP> The Capitalized "ALL" can be used in other Conferences as a valid Public
RP> "TO ALL" message Address.
RP>
RP> If you have a small user base you can create a Group Distribution List
RP> and use it in association with Any Conference.
RP>
RP> For Example:
RP>
RP> A plain text file Group List:
RP>
RP> \wcat\disp\group1.lst
RP>
RP> comprising a name on each line
RP>
RP> Bob Brown
RP> Jane Doe
RP> John Smith
RP>
RP> Can then be used to Address a Message TO: GROUP 1
RP>
RP> Which would send a CC Copy to users in the Distribution List Group 1
RP>
RP> wcBASIC and the wcBASIC PLUS pack can if desired be used to completely
RP> customize the behavior of the ANSI Mail Interface.

Tried it again... and a message to ALL in a local area, not area 0, is
nothing more than a message addressed to ALL.

BBS software that hasn't been worked on since the early 90's had that
feature...

I know that the terminal side of WINServer is a little lite on features,
unless you knoqw how to program in wcBasic, se're stuck. WINServer should
have a message to "ALL" built into it and as well an ability to let the users
have a signature file... on the terminal side.

I got my ass kicked on 2 projects... adding the ssl certificates to the web
server... not hard if you knew what to do... and as well I had issues with
fTelnet

Anyway, that's behind me...

From: Ib Joe (1:342/201)
To: n/a
Date: Sat, 18.07.20 10:40
Re: Message to all
On 17 Jul 2020, Robert Wolfe said the following...

RW> -> RW> "All" usually sends the message to "All."
RW> ->
RW> -> Nope, it doesn't. Writing a message to All in WINServer is like
RW> -> write a message to ALL in a FidoNET echo. a cc is not sent out to
RW> -> all your users. Most BBS packages have this feature. I left a
RW> -> message on the WINServer listserver and what I found out is that I
RW> -> would need to buy the wcReports package. Santronics, or Mustang
RW> -> Software, made a choice at some point to spread needed features over
RW> -> 2, 3 or 4 different programs so that a SysOP was forced to buy 2, 3
RW> -> or 4 different programs. I have spent soooooo much over the years
RW> -> supporting Santronics.... I am just not going to spe other dime so
RW> -> that I can cc a message to all my users.
RW>
RW> So you are wanting to send the same message at once to every user on your
RW> system individually? Seems like an easy job for a wcCODE module to me.
RW> But, you are right. A lot of other BBS packages do have this feature
RW> built in.

Yes

From: Ib Joe (1:342/201)
To: n/a
Date: Sat, 15.08.20 10:26
Re: Message to all
RW> -> Joe
RW>
RW>
RW>
RW> -> --- Platinum Xpress/Win/WINServer v7.0
RW> -> * Origin: Joe's BBS -=joesbbs.com=- (1:342/201)
RW>
RW> Yeah, planning on adding optional signature file usage on my bbs in the
RW> message areas soon.

Thanx... I went the way of Mystic BBS though.... I have run WC5 for years....
Ths time around I have come to the oppinion that the terminal side of WINS is
stuck in the 80s and 90s. I spent a couple hundred dollars to blow life back
into the BBS... paid for AUP and had install disks mailed to me.

And I went with the BBS program that I talked myself out of when I sent
Santronics my 200 bucks.

I'll set my WINServer up as some kind of door server because of all the games
I have registered for it.

Smile

IB Joe
AKA Joe Schweier
SysOp of Joe's BBS
-=JoesBBS.com=-

* Origin: Joe's BBS -=JoesBBS.com=- (1:342/201)