Fidonet Portal

From: Tom Swartz (1:153/757.11)
To: All
Date: Mon, 19.11.18 20:50
Test Drive
Hi to all!

I just installed Blue Wave for DOS and applied the Y2K patch. Now to see
if the date format is correct. I uploaded this packet to a PCBoard BBS.

Has anyone successfully run the DOOR version for PCBoard?

I got it to run via DOORWAY, but the door thinks i am a LOCAL caller.

Any suggestions??

Thanks!

___ Blue Wave/386 v2.30

--- PCBoard (R) v15.3/100
* Origin: Danger Bay BBS * Vancouver, Canada (1:153/757.11)

From: Dale Shipp (1:261/1466)
To: All
Date: Wed, 21.11.18 02:58
Re: Test Drive
-=> On 11-19-18 20:50, Tom Swartz <=-
-=> spoke to All about Test Drive <=-

TS> I just installed Blue Wave for DOS and applied the Y2K patch. Now to
TS> see if the date format is correct. I uploaded this packet to a PCBoard
TS> BBS.

Looks good. Which Y2K fix did you use? There are two out there. The
bandaid I wrote which encircles BlueWave with a batch file to correct
the Y2K headers, and another one which actually patches the executable
directly.

IMO, the second version is a much better solution and easier to
implement.

Look at the Wiki article on BlueWave. It mentions both, but does not
give links. I believe that one of the Mark(c) Lewis has both on his web
site and maybe he will jump in to give you a pointer. It that does not
happen quickly -- get back to me and I will dig up the links for you.

Dale Shipp
fido_261_1466 (at) verizon (dot) net
(1:261/1466)

... Shipwrecked on Hesperus in Columbia, Maryland. 03:04:53, 21 Nov 2018
___ Blue Wave/DOS v2.30

--- Maximus/NT 3.01
* Origin: Owl's Anchor (1:261/1466)

From: Tom Swartz (1:153/757.11)
To: All
Date: Tue, 27.11.18 08:26
Re: Test Drive
Hi Dale,

I used your full .EXE patch. Nice work! I was reading your .DOC file on
it and you mention something about the C libraries expiring in 2038. Can
you elaborate on this?

Also, what "OTHER" 3rd party libraries will the patch work on??

Thanks Dale!

From: NANCY BACKUS (1:123/140)
To: All
Date: Thu, 29.11.18 21:20
Re: Test Drive
-=> Quoting Tom Swartz to Dale Shipp on 11-27-18 08:26 <=-

TS> Hi Dale,

Hi, this is from the guy who did the patch you are referring to: Nancy's
husband.

TS> I used your full .EXE patch. Nice work! I was reading your .DOC file
TS> on it and you mention something about the C libraries expiring in 2038.
TS> Can you elaborate on this?

In the old C libraries, time/date is kept as a count of seconds from
1970 in a 32bit signed integer. That means that the "date" will roll
over from positive to negative in January 2038 - and programs using it
will break. Newer C libraries use an unsigned 32 bit integer and will
work for twice as long or to 2106 (newest use a 64 bit integer...Wink.

TS> Also, what "OTHER" 3rd party libraries will the patch work on??

Not libraries, but 3rd party programs. I've used it on the DOS Pegasus
Mail utility PREBUILD.EXE and one or two other programs. The only
requirement is that they were built using one of the Borland C Libraries
I made a patch for. You will know that it works when you get at least 4
"1 changes made" messages when running the batch file.

TS> Thanks Dale!

You are welcome, and thank you (Richard).

___ Blue Wave/QWK v2.20
* Origin: Fido Since 1991 | QWK by Web | BBS.FIDOSYSOP.ORG (1:123/140)

From: Tom Swartz (1:153/757.11)
To: All
Date: Fri, 30.11.18 20:54
Re: Test Drive
Thanks Nancy,

Is it just the Borland C libraries or also other C libraries that suffer
from this problem?

Are there any work arounds available or is this it for all Borland C
Apps?

All Versions of Borland C ?

Thanks!

From: Dale Shipp (1:261/1466)
To: All
Date: Sat, 01.12.18 16:15
Re: Test Drive
-=> On 11-27-18 08:26, Tom Swartz <=-
-=> spoke to Dale Shipp about Re: Test Drive <=-

TS> I used your full .EXE patch. Nice work! I was reading your .DOC file
TS> on it and you mention something about the C libraries expiring in 2038.
TS> Can you elaborate on this?

I am confused. The fix that I made for Y2K Bluewave was a bandaid that
one installed as a follow on batch file after BW packed up the REP
packet. I would not call it a full .EXE patch. There is a later fix
created by Richard Backus that patches the EXE file itself. Perhaps
that is what you are now using. I do not know about a comment on C
libraries expiring in 2038. Perhaps Richard (or Nancy) could comment.

TS> Also, what "OTHER" 3rd party libraries will the patch work on??

Again, my fix was simply for the BlueWave reader for QWK packets and REP
reply packets. The batch file read the REP packet and corrected the
mistakes made by BW. IMO, it would not apply to any other programs. I
cannot speak to Richard's patch with respect to that.

Dale Shipp
fido_261_1466 (at) verizon (dot) net
(1:261/1466)

... Shipwrecked on Hesperus in Columbia, Maryland. 16:20:58, 01 Dec 2018

From: Dale Shipp (1:261/1466)
To: All
Date: Sun, 02.12.18 02:47
Re: Test Drive
-=> On 11-29-18 21:20, Nancy Backus <=-
-=> spoke to Tom Swartz about Re: Test Drive <=-

NB> Hi, this is from the guy who did the patch you are referring to:
NB> Nancy's husband.

Thanks Nancy & Richard. I had assumed Tom was talking about RBs patch
and not my bandaid wrapper. Glad that you saw it and responded to him.

Dale Shipp
fido_261_1466 (at) verizon (dot) net
(1:261/1466)

... Shipwrecked on Hesperus in Columbia, Maryland. 02:49:23, 02 Dec 2018

From: NANCY BACKUS (1:123/140)
To: All
Date: Sat, 01.12.18 23:40
Re: Test Drive
-=> Quoting Tom Swartz to Nancy Backus on 11-30-18 20:54 <=-

TS> Is it just the Borland C libraries or also other C libraries that
TS> suffer from this problem?

Not just Borland, but most CPM/DOS/OS2 compiler libraries from before
year 2k. And therefore programs written using them.

TS> Are there any work arounds available or is this it for all Borland C
TS> Apps?

I don't know of any other generic workarounds. I did these to cover the
3 libraries used by the last BlueWave software releases. What I did is
not obvious and is time-consuming to generate.

TS> All Versions of Borland C ?

No, BW-Y2K16.BAT and BW-Y2KO2.BAT are for Borland, while BW-Y2K32.BAT is
for WatCom. Read the *.BAT files - the header shows which library each
one works with. These Copyright strings can be seen in the program
*.EXE file.

TS> Thanks!

You are welcome, again. Richard

... I work with User-Surly Software

From: NANCY BACKUS (1:123/140)
To: All
Date: Wed, 05.12.18 16:08
Re: Test Drive
-=> Quoting Dale Shipp to Nancy Backus on 12-02-18 02:47 <=-
-=> On 11-29-18 21:20, Nancy Backus <=-
-=> spoke to Tom Swartz about Re: Test Drive <=-

NB> Hi, this is from the guy who did the patch you are referring to:
NB> Nancy's husband.
DS>
DS> Thanks Nancy & Richard. I had assumed Tom was talking about RBs patch
DS> and not my bandaid wrapper. Glad that you saw it and responded to
DS> him.

Yes, I saw it and recognized he'd gotten the authors mixed up... and
knew you were off on your trip as well... Got Richard to answer... and
he's also followed up on the response... Smile Sean was able to respond to
the 2038 date on C libraries, but couldn't to the more specific BW
questions... ;)

ttyl neb

... Soft of eye, light of touch, speak ye little, listen much.