Fidonet Portal

From: Jon Justvig (1:298/26)
To: All
Date: Mon, 10.12.18 08:07
Guitar
I remember my first Gibson Epiphone guitar back in high school. Traded it for
a Sega Genesis with one game, Altered Beast. I'm thinking of getting into
playing music again. Music has always been my passion. I'm thinking of
another Gibson, yet, my wife encourages acoustic. It would be a delight to
play for her. I don't have the vocals, but I can sing with my strings.

-- cr1mson

--- BBBS/LiI v4.10 Toy-3
* Origin: Nightfall Ordain -- telnet://vintagebbsing.com:2323 (1:298/26)

From: Nigel Reed (1:124/5016)
To: All
Date: Mon, 10.12.18 18:23
Re: Guitar
Jon wrote:
J> I remember my first Gibson Epiphone guitar back in high school. Traded it
for
J> a Sega Genesis with one game, Altered Beast. I'm thinking of getting into
J> playing music again. Music has always been my passion. I'm thinking of
J> another Gibson, yet, my wife encourages acoustic. It would be a delight to
J> play for her. I don't have the vocals, but I can sing with my strings.

Your wife probably encouraging acoustic because a. You don't have to spend
hundreds on a decent amp. b. It'll be infinitely quieter than an electric.

Personally, I like the Strat style guitars. I've got a couple. One is a
Fernandes Guitars red strat which looks similar to the Fender that Mark
Knopfler plays. The other is a frankenstrat that I got for $350 - way over
paid but it's a heavy beast and it's good some good parts on it.
Unfortunately I decided to put some heavy strings on to give them a try and
it started pulling the bridge out of the body. I'll have go change out the
13s for some 9s. The other I have is a Lyon by Washburn. The neck is a
little warped on this one and I'll sometimes bend the high e accidentally
off the edge and it'll get stuck on the fret. I really need to get rid of
it. It's not that good but it was useful when I started playing.

As for acoustic, I have a cheap First Act that I picked up for $15 and it
has quite a nice sound do it but it does feel as cheap as it was. I don't
play much acoustic so I'm not too bothered.

Finally, my pride and joy is my Republic guitar. If you've ever seen the
cover of Brothers in Arms...it looks just like that, the diamond cuts, the
sand etchings...it's a thing of beauty and Romeo and Juliet sounds amazing
on it.

Still, with all that I have a crappy amp. It's a Marshall but it's solid
state rather than tube. You can really tell the difference. My budget
didn't stretch to a tube amp so I got the best I could afford at the time.
It's done its job but I really want to get a big boy amp now!
--- SBBSecho 3.06-Linux
* Origin: End Of The Line BBS - endofthelinebbs.com (1:124/5016)

From: Steve Wolf (1:267/150)
To: All
Date: Tue, 07.05.19 22:48
Re: Guitar
On 10 Dec 2018, Mike Powell said the following...

MP> >I remember my first Gibson Epiphone guitar back in high school. Traded i
MP> >a Sega Genesis with one game, Altered Beast. I'm thinking of getting int
MP> >playing music again. Music has always been my passion. I'm thinking of

MP> IIRC, Gibson used to make some very nice acoustic guitars. The ones I
MP> remember had f-holes, like a violin or upright bass, instead of the
MP> round, center hole. Some (or all?Wink allowed for electrical amplification
MP> also.

Wow! I can't tell you how happy it makes me to see "Guitar" chit chat! I've
been playing for over 30 years and BBsing for 20 but never saw any guitar
chat on a BBS. But....I haven't been on FidoNet neither. I will be changing
that very soon.

I use the handle HusTler if you don't recognize the "real name"

* Origin: Capital Station BBS * telnet://csbbs.dyndns.org * (1:267/150)