Fidonet Portal

From: Chris Krascek (1:229/426)
To: n/a
Date: Sun, 21.06.20 00:25
new trek shows
I've tried watching Discovery and I can't seem to get into it. I admit I was I
was excited to see it but as I kept watching, it just lacked what I knew to be
trek. Now, this Picard show, is exactly what I needed. It's not TNG obviously
but it seems to make more sense in its flow. I'm really looking forward to
Season 2.

--- Renegade vY2Ka2

From: Kurt Weiske (1:218/700)
To: n/a
Date: Sun, 21.06.20 10:03
Re: new trek shows
-=> Chris Krascek wrote to All <=-

CK> I've tried watching Discovery and I can't seem to get into it. I admit
CK> I was I was excited to see it but as I kept watching, it just lacked
CK> what I knew to be trek.

Season 1 took a while to get my interest - Michael Burnham fell flat
for me, and I didn't like another Klingon reboot. but Pike, Spock and
Number 1 in Season 2 got me hooked.

CK> Now, this Picard show, is exactly what I
CK> needed. It's not TNG obviously but it seems to make more sense in its
CK> flow. I'm really looking forward to Season 2.

Ditto.

... Don't break the silence
--- MultiMail/XT v0.52
* Origin: http://realitycheckbbs.org | tomorrow's retro tech (1:218/700)

From: Daniel (1:340/7)
To: n/a
Date: Sun, 21.06.20 21:26
Re: new trek shows
-=> Chris Krascek wrote to All <=-

CK> I've tried watching Discovery and I can't seem to get into it. I admit
CK> I was I was excited to see it but as I kept watching, it just lacked
CK> what I knew to be trek. Now, this Picard show, is exactly what I
CK> needed. It's not TNG obviously but it seems to make more sense in its
CK> flow. I'm really looking forward to Season 2.

I can't get into picard. The writing isn't trekky and the side characters are
bleh. The vulcan security chief, sporting raybans, ugh. It's baaaaaaadddddd in
my opinion. I watched until the beginning of episode seven and gave up. It was
a wasted torrent download for me.

Daniel Traechin

... Visit me at gopher://gcpp.world
--- MultiMail/Linux v0.49
* Origin: Digital Distortion: digdist.synchro.net (1:340/7)

From: Chris Krascek (1:229/426)
To: n/a
Date: Sun, 21.06.20 22:20
Re: new trek shows
D> CK> I've tried watching Discovery and I can't seem to get into it. I admit
D> CK> I was I was excited to see it but as I kept watching, it just lacked
D> CK> what I knew to be trek. Now, this Picard show, is exactly what I
D> CK> needed. It's not TNG obviously but it seems to make more sense in its
D> CK> flow. I'm really looking forward to Season 2.
D>
D> I can't get into picard. The writing isn't trekky and the side characters ar
D> bleh. The vulcan security chief, sporting raybans, ugh. It's baaaaaaadddddd
D> my opinion. I watched until the beginning of episode seven and gave up. It w
D> a wasted torrent download for me.
Hmmm, I see your point on that. No doubt there are aspects of that series
which I did not care for... but to me it had enough TNG reference and of
course Picard that held it together. It truly was a different feel thats for
sure. I understand that they are looking to make a series with Pike, some
exploration thing. What are your thoughts on that one?

--- Renegade vY2Ka2

From: Daniel (1:340/7)
To: n/a
Date: Mon, 22.06.20 10:05
Re: new trek shows
-=> Chris Krascek wrote to Daniel <=-

D> CK> I've tried watching Discovery and I can't seem to get into it. I admit
D> CK> I was I was excited to see it but as I kept watching, it just lacked
D> CK> what I knew to be trek. Now, this Picard show, is exactly what I
D> CK> needed. It's not TNG obviously but it seems to make more sense in its
D> CK> flow. I'm really looking forward to Season 2.
D>
D> I can't get into picard. The writing isn't trekky and the side characters
ar
D> bleh. The vulcan security chief, sporting raybans, ugh. It's baaaaaaadddddd
D> my opinion. I watched until the beginning of episode seven and gave up. It
D> a wasted torrent download for me.
CK> Hmmm, I see your point on that. No doubt there are aspects of that
CK> series which I did not care for... but to me it had enough TNG
CK> reference and of course Picard that held it together. It truly was a
CK> different feel thats for sure. I understand that they are looking to
CK> make a series with Pike, some exploration thing. What are your thoughts
CK> on that one?

With today's atmosphere of social justice warrior garbage and board room
decisions destroying art, I'm afraid we'll never see a true star trek saga
again. The original series, tng, voyager, etc timelines are tired. If it were a
perfect world, I'd like to see something edgy like an exploration on the
origination of the Borg in the D quadrant before transwarp. It would be early
into their development as a warp society, with a home planet, government, and a
growing threat of insurrection from culture warriors who eventually gain
influence in the borg society. If they could do something like that where, at
the end of 7-8 seasons, they've created an early collective where they still
have individuality while disconnected from the hive, and then become one as
they connect i'd watch every episode. They would discard members who refuse to
comply with the changes.

Followup movies would further explore how they lost all sense of
community/culture and become a threat to any society it encounters. They win
some and lose some, but not as formidable as we've come to know. Upon the
conclusion of a trilogy of flicks, they'd end the last movie with the emergence
of the first borg queen. She'll open her eyes with a look of absolution and
they'd quickly pan out through the ship and outside, continuously panning out
until you realize they've built their first borg cube.

This would be played over broadcast TV.

I just laid out a vision for 15 years of TV entertainment

A series involving Pike, I'm afraid, would only destroy the mystique
surrounding that character. They'd make him a bisexual who listens to klingon
music, does yoga, eats vulcan food, and decries the evil of capitalism. His
ready room would have a picture of Castro hanging next to his empty fish tank.
Oh, and he'd be a vegan who'd espouse how evolved he is while surrounding
himself with a bunch of crunchy feminists who'd laugh at everything he says.

Sorry, I'm a pessimist these days. I'll just stick with TOS and be done with
it. All good things.

From: Chris Krascek (1:229/426)
To: n/a
Date: Mon, 22.06.20 23:15
Re: new trek shows
D> CK> Hmmm, I see your point on that. No doubt there are aspects of that
D> my opinion. I watched until the beginning of episode seven and gave up. It
D> a wasted torrent download for me.
D> CK> Hmmm, I see your point on that. No doubt there are aspects of that
D> CK> series which I did not care for... but to me it had enough TNG
D> CK> reference and of course Picard that held it together. It truly was a
D> CK> different feel thats for sure. I understand that they are looking to
D> CK> make a series with Pike, some exploration thing. What are your thoughts
D> CK> on that one?
D>
D> With today's atmosphere of social justice warrior garbage and board room
D> decisions destroying art, I'm afraid we'll never see a true star trek saga
D> again. The original series, tng, voyager, etc timelines are tired. If it wer
D> perfect world, I'd like to see something edgy like an exploration on the
D> origination of the Borg in the D quadrant before transwarp. It would be earl
D> into their development as a warp society, with a home planet, government, an
D> growing threat of insurrection from culture warriors who eventually gain
D> influence in the borg society. If they could do something like that where, a
D> the end of 7-8 seasons, they've created an early collective where they still
D> have individuality while disconnected from the hive, and then become one as
D> they connect i'd watch every episode. They would discard members who refuse

I hear you on this. I'm worried what would happen in a Pike lead series. A
prime example of what you refer to is what they did with Discovery. I think
you brought to light why I don't care for it. An injection of political
correctness and perceived equality is forced now in every TV show. As
far as I'm concerned, it will be TOS and TNG that captures true trek and
Gene's vision. Voyager and DS9 were great too but not the same caliber. Your
concept of orgins of the Borg is very interesting. I had thought that maybe
it be time to focus on some of the alien civilizations that were encountered
during the 5 year mission for example or maybe a series involving Q and his
antics. It seems that hollywood has truly run out of ideas and is trying to
spark interest in the wrong way. As a fan of scifi and trek, I will give every
new series a try but that's it. I felt that way with Enterprise. The concept I
like but the execution in my opinion did not work. With respect to the movies,
this reboot of the TOS with Chris Pine, I'm not going to lie. I'm conflicted.
I think I just like it because its scifi and not because its trek. I had to
seperate it in order to avoid the disappointed factor.

--- Renegade vY2Ka2