Fidonet Portal

From: John Varela (1:396/4)
To: n/a
Date: Wed, 12.02.20 20:19
Is there an updated version of os2 available?
From: "John Varela"

I have been running ECS 2.0 in a Parallels virtual machine under
MacOS for about 15 years, and it's getting pretty long in the tooth.
The only reason I keep it is because I have yet to find a native
Mac newsreader that I like better than ProNews/2.

Is there available an updated version of OS/2 and a current browser
that will run under Parallels in a current Mac?

--
John Varela
--- NewsGate v1.0 gamma 2

From: Grant Taylor (1:396/4)
To: n/a
Date: Wed, 12.02.20 07:27
Re: Is there an updated version of os2 available?
From: Grant Taylor

ArcaOS from Arca Noae (www.arcanoae.com).

--
Grant. . . .
unix || die

From: John Varela (1:396/4)
To: n/a
Date: Fri, 14.02.20 16:01
Re: Is there an updated version of os2 available?
From: "John Varela"

On Thu, 13 Feb 2020 02:27:03 UTC, Grant Taylor
wrote:

> On 2/12/20 6:19 PM, John Varela wrote:
> > Is there available an updated version of OS/2 and a current browser
> > that will run under Parallels in a current Mac?
>
> ArcaOS from Arca Noae (www.arcanoae.com).

Thanks for the response. I looked at the ARCA NOAE web site and see
no mention of Mac hardware, Parallels Desktop, or any version of
MacOS. Instead there's a disclaimer that they won't guarantee it
will work.

Is there anywhere I can go to look further into it? Can the
clipboard transfer between MacOS Mojave/Catalina and ArcaOS?

--
John Varela
--- NewsGate v1.0 gamma 2

From: Peter J. Seymour (1:396/4)
To: n/a
Date: Sat, 15.02.20 04:38
Re: Is there an updated version of os2 available?
From: "Peter J. Seymour"

On 14/02/2020 21:01, John Varela wrote:
> On Thu, 13 Feb 2020 02:27:03 UTC, Grant Taylor
> wrote:
>
>> On 2/12/20 6:19 PM, John Varela wrote:
>>> Is there available an updated version of OS/2 and a current browser
>>> that will run under Parallels in a current Mac?
>>
>> ArcaOS from Arca Noae (www.arcanoae.com).
>
> Thanks for the response. I looked at the ARCA NOAE web site and see
> no mention of Mac hardware, Parallels Desktop, or any version of
> MacOS. Instead there's a disclaimer that they won't guarantee it
> will work.
>
> Is there anywhere I can go to look further into it? Can the
> clipboard transfer between MacOS Mojave/Catalina and ArcaOS?

Hi,

I have run ArcaOS 5.0.3 under Parallels 12. Programs seemed to execute
OK. However, I have not tried a web browser nor the clipboard, so I have
only partly answered your questions.

Peter
--- NewsGate v1.0 gamma 2

From: Peter J. Seymour (1:396/4)
To: n/a
Date: Sat, 15.02.20 04:39
Re: Is there an updated version of os2 available?
From: "Peter J. Seymour"

From: Peter J. Seymour (1:396/4)
To: n/a
Date: Sat, 15.02.20 04:39
Re: Is there an updated version of os2 available?
From: "Peter J. Seymour"

From: T. (1:396/4)
To: n/a
Date: Sat, 15.02.20 07:51
Re: Is there an updated version of os2 available?
From: "T."

John Varela schrieb:
> Thanks for the response. I looked at the ARCA NOAE web site and see
> no mention of Mac hardware, Parallels Desktop, or any version of

if you are using vitualization, you probably can stay with what you
have. ArcaOS has slightly updated drivers, limited support for modern
hardware and some new software.

Nothing that is needed on virtualized hardware, most software can be
installed on OS/2 and eCS too.

A new browser is in work, but probably will need much time until it will
be available.

--

Gruesse,

Thorolf
--- NewsGate v1.0 gamma 2

From: David Wade (1:396/4)
To: n/a
Date: Sun, 16.02.20 19:02
Re: Is there an updated version of os2 available?
From: David Wade

On 15/02/2020 10:51, T. wrote:
> John Varela schrieb:
>> Thanks for the response. I looked at the ARCA NOAE web site and see
>> no mention of Mac hardware, Parallels Desktop, or any version of
>
> if you are using vitualization, you probably can stay with what you
> have. ArcaOS has slightly updated drivers, limited support for modern
> hardware and some new software.
>
> Nothing that is needed on virtualized hardware, most software can be
> installed on OS/2 and eCS too.
>
> A new browser is in work, but probably will need much time until it will
> be available.

Would this work on a PC Server 500 with P390 card...

Dave
--- NewsGate v1.0 gamma 2

From: Martin Iturbide (1:396/4)
To: n/a
Date: Sun, 16.02.20 16:23
Re: Is there an updated version of os2 available?
From: Martin Iturbide

On Sunday, February 16, 2020 at 7:02:21 PM UTC-5, David Wade wrote:

> Would this work on a PC Server 500 with P390 card...
>
> Dave

Hi David.

ArcaOS has the same kernel and binary level as OS/2 Wapr 4.52. I think it will
work with the P390 card.

I also think it may boot on a IBM PC Server 500 but possible you will need a
bigger HDD drive (than the ones from that time), since ArcaOS installs more
software.

Please let me know if you have more information on the P390 card running on
OS/2, I want to improve the OS2World wiki.

https://www.os2world.com/wiki/index.php/Category:Mainframe

Feel free to contact me directly.

Regards
--- NewsGate v1.0 gamma 2

From: Andi B. (1:396/4)
To: n/a
Date: Mon, 17.02.20 12:49
Re: Is there an updated version of os2 available?
From: "Andi B."

Martin Iturbide schrieb:
> On Sunday, February 16, 2020 at 7:02:21 PM UTC-5, David Wade wrote:
>>
>> Would this work on a PC Server 500 with P390 card...
>>
>> Dave
>
> Hi David.
>
> ArcaOS has the same kernel and binary level as OS/2 Wapr 4.52.

This is not entirely true. ArcaOS delivers a patched version of the kernel.

Andi
--- NewsGate v1.0 gamma 2

From: Grant Taylor (1:396/4)
To: n/a
Date: Sun, 16.02.20 23:37
Re: Is there an updated version of os2 available?
From: Grant Taylor

On 2/16/20 5:02 PM, David Wade wrote:
> Would this work on a  PC Server 500 with P390 card...

I am using ArcaOS with my P/390-E card.

I expect that it will also work with the P/390 card.

I can't speak for the PC Server 500. — I don't recall if the PC Server
500 is MCA or PCI. Nor do I know how well ArcaOS will support MCA. —
I do know that (older versions of) IBM OS/2 would run just fine on MCA
machines.

--
Grant. . . .
unix || die

From: David Wade (1:396/4)
To: n/a
Date: Wed, 19.02.20 05:20
Re: Is there an updated version of os2 available?
From: David Wade

On 17/02/2020 18:37, Grant Taylor wrote:
> On 2/16/20 5:02 PM, David Wade wrote:
>> Would this work on a  PC Server 500 with P390 card...
>
> I am using ArcaOS with my P/390-E card.
>
> I expect that it will also work with the P/390 card.
>
> I can't speak for the PC Server 500.  —  I don't recall if the PC Server
> 500 is MCA or PCI.  Nor do I know how well ArcaOS will support MCA.  — I
> do know that (older versions of) IBM OS/2 would run just fine on MCA
> machines.

its MCA. I might give it a try...
.... but it wont be for a while...
--- NewsGate v1.0 gamma 2

From: Grant Taylor (1:396/4)
To: n/a
Date: Wed, 12.02.20 07:27
Re: Is there an updated version of os2 available?
From: Grant Taylor <gtaylor@tnetconsulting.net>

ArcaOS from Arca Noae (www.arcanoae.comWink.

--
Grant. . . .
unix || die

From: John Varela (1:396/4)
To: n/a
Date: Fri, 14.02.20 16:01
Re: Is there an updated version of os2 available?
From: "John Varela" <jv919a.nospam@gmail.com>

From: Peter J. Seymour (1:396/4)
To: n/a
Date: Sat, 15.02.20 04:38
Re: Is there an updated version of os2 available?
From: "Peter J. Seymour" <ng@pjsey.demon.co.uk>

From: Peter J. Seymour (1:396/4)
To: n/a
Date: Sat, 15.02.20 04:39
Re: Is there an updated version of os2 available?
From: "Peter J. Seymour" <ng@pjsey.demon.co.uk>

From: Peter J. Seymour (1:396/4)
To: n/a
Date: Sat, 15.02.20 04:39
Re: Is there an updated version of os2 available?
From: "Peter J. Seymour" <ng@pjsey.demon.co.uk>

From: T. (1:396/4)
To: n/a
Date: Sat, 15.02.20 07:51
Re: Is there an updated version of os2 available?
From: "T." <nospam@godawa.invalid>

From: Martin Iturbide (1:396/4)
To: n/a
Date: Sun, 16.02.20 16:23
Re: Is there an updated version of os2 available?
From: Martin Iturbide <martiniturbide@gmail.com>

From: Andi B. (1:396/4)
To: n/a
Date: Mon, 17.02.20 12:49
Re: Is there an updated version of os2 available?
From: "Andi B." <andi.b@gmx.net>