Fidonet Portal

From: Dave Yeo (1:396/4)
To: n/a
Date: Sun, 14.06.20 14:57
Re: Is JFS really open source?
From: Dave Yeo <dave.r.yeo@gmail.com>

Jonathan de Boyne Pollard wrote:
>> The Linux JFS was IIRC ported directly from the OS/2 JFS source code,
>> which IBM did originally release about 10 years ago. It was on an IBM
>> site (AlphaWorks, I think) as was the LVM source; I think both have
>> disappeared from there now, though.
>>

> That's one of the little-spoken-of problems in the world of open
> source. Years down the line, it turns out that things aren't open
> source, because the source isn't published any more. The JFS project at
> SourceForge has only Linux trees (linux24, linux25, and linux-2.2.12)
> and there's no sign of those trees ever having had a jfs_ifs.c file
> (which is the file to look at for the relevant OS/2 FSD entrypoints, if
> anyone comes across this discussion in the future).

I remember looking at one of the first Linux releases of JFS. There were
lots of #ifdef __OS2__ but I don't think there was a jfs_ifs.c file and
knowing IBM I doubt that they would have released one.
Should be able to look at the svn history at sourceforge to find the
first release.
Dave
--- NewsGate v1.0 gamma 2

From: Andy (1:396/4)
To: n/a
Date: Sun, 14.06.20 14:57
Re: Is JFS really open source?
From: "Andy" <nospam-abwillis1-nopspam@nospam-gmail.com>

On Tue, 5 Apr 2011 23:34:42 UTC, Dave Yeo <dave.r.yeo@gmail.com>
wrote:

> Jonathan de Boyne Pollard wrote:
> >> The Linux JFS was IIRC ported directly from the OS/2 JFS source code,
> >> which IBM did originally release about 10 years ago. It was on an IBM
> >> site (AlphaWorks, I think) as was the LVM source; I think both have
> >> disappeared from there now, though.
> >>

> > That's one of the little-spoken-of problems in the world of open
> > source. Years down the line, it turns out that things aren't open
> > source, because the source isn't published any more. The JFS project at
> > SourceForge has only Linux trees (linux24, linux25, and linux-2.2.12)
> > and there's no sign of those trees ever having had a jfs_ifs.c file
> > (which is the file to look at for the relevant OS/2 FSD entrypoints, if
> > anyone comes across this discussion in the future).
>
> I remember looking at one of the first Linux releases of JFS. There were
> lots of #ifdef __OS2__ but I don't think there was a jfs_ifs.c file and
> knowing IBM I doubt that they would have released one.
> Should be able to look at the svn history at sourceforge to find the
> first release.
> Dave
The OS/2 specific code (at least some of it such as DASD support) was
removed by the maintainers but was initially released (not sure of the
jfs_ifs.c).
Andy
--

--- NewsGate v1.0 gamma 2

From: Dave Yeo (1:396/4)
To: n/a
Date: Sun, 14.06.20 14:57
Re: Is JFS really open source?
From: Dave Yeo <dave.r.yeo@gmail.com>

Alex Taylor wrote:
> There are also INF viewers available for various other OSes, I believe.

One of the Pascal distributions has adopted INF for their help system
and ported newview as the help/documentation viewer. Can't remember
which one though.
Hmm, a bit of googling returns
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Information_Presentation_Facility and
http://www.lazarus.freepascal.org/index.php?topic=10335.0
People are impressed.
Dave
--- NewsGate v1.0 gamma 2

From: Allan (1:396/4)
To: n/a
Date: Sun, 14.06.20 14:57
Re: Is JFS really open source?
From: "Allan" <allan2@warpspeed.dyndns.dk>

On Sun, 10 Apr 2011 07:42:44 UTC, Dave Yeo <dave.r.yeo@gmail.com> wrote:

> Alex Taylor wrote:
> > There are also INF viewers available for various other OSes, I believe.
>
> One of the Pascal distributions has adopted INF for their help system
> and ported newview as the help/documentation viewer. Can't remember
> which one though.
> Hmm, a bit of googling returns
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Information_Presentation_Facility and
> http://www.lazarus.freepascal.org/index.php?topic=10335.0
> People are impressed.

Another similar project - FPGUI - have also adapted INF as
help system for internel help.

Neither of these projects do funny enough not have OS/2 versions - yet.

--
Allan.

It is better to close your mouth, and look like a fool,
than to open it, and remove all doubt.
--- NewsGate v1.0 gamma 2

From: A.D. Fundum (1:396/4)
To: n/a
Date: Sun, 14.06.20 14:57
Re: Is JFS really open source?
From: "A.D. Fundum" <what.ever@neverm.ind>

> Neither of these projects do funny enough not have OS/2 versions -
yet.

Well, maybe one could stop to try to be interesting regarding not
having the GUI environment, and just invest the full $20 to buy a
notebook capable of running OS/2 and (re-) obtain the PM/WPS that
way...

--
--- NewsGate v1.0 gamma 2