Fidonet Portal

From: Dave Yeo (1:396/4)
To: n/a
Date: Sun, 14.06.20 14:57
Re: Is JFS really open source?
From: Dave Yeo <dave.r.yeo@gmail.com>

Jonathan de Boyne Pollard wrote:
>> As far as I know the newer JFS is closed source even though they used
>> some of the GPLed Linux JFS.
>>

> That's rather naughty.

Actually I should clarify that I think they used some of the GPLed code
as I don't have access to the newest code and I might be wrong. (plus
they might be offering the code to the people with the newest binaries)
Dave
--- NewsGate v1.0 gamma 2

From: Steve Wendt (1:396/4)
To: n/a
Date: Sun, 14.06.20 14:57
Re: Is JFS really open source?
From: Steve Wendt <spamsux@forgetit.org>

Dave Yeo wrote:

>>> As far as I know the newer JFS is closed source even though they used
>>> some of the GPLed Linux JFS.
>
> Actually I should clarify that I think they used some of the GPLed code
> as I don't have access to the newest code and I might be wrong.

What else could they have possibly used, unless IBM provided them with
source code under another license? The likelihood of the latter is
pretty much zero.
--- NewsGate v1.0 gamma 2

From: Allan (1:396/4)
To: n/a
Date: Sun, 14.06.20 14:57
Re: Is JFS really open source?
00000d01
From: "Allan" <allan2@warpspeed.dyndns.dk>

On Sun, 3 Apr 2011 21:04:14 UTC, Dave Yeo <dave.r.yeo@gmail.com> wrote:

> Jonathan de Boyne Pollard wrote:
> >> As far as I know the newer JFS is closed source even though they used
> >> some of the GPLed Linux JFS.
> >>

> > That's rather naughty.
> >

> Actually I should clarify that I think they used some of the GPLed code
> as I don't have access to the newest code and I might be wrong. (plus
> they might be offering the code to the people with the newest binaries)

ECS's JFS code is based directly off the OpenJFS code, that is available
on Netlabs FTP. OpenJFS is GPL, and so Mensys have to respect that,
and I'm sure they will; but they may not have thought about it.

That said, the Bootable JFS part may not be opensource, as it is not
part of IFS driver, it is a separate piece of software, that Mensys have
made by themselves.

For people still using old Warp - osFree's FreeLDR can boot on (IBM)JFS Smile

FAT32 source code is available at svn in Netlabs.

--
Allan.

It is better to close your mouth, and look like a fool,
than to open it, and remove all doubt.
--- NewsGate v1.0 gamma 2

From: A.D. Fundum (1:396/4)
To: n/a
Date: Sun, 14.06.20 14:57
Re: Is JFS really open source?
From: "A.D. Fundum" <what.ever@neverm.ind>

> OpenJFS is GPL, and so Mensys have to respect that,

All licenses are bogus (/"unfinished"). What makes one think that a
license, if a.o. legal at all, written in e.g. Japanese (or English),
applies to people not being to read Japanese (or English)?!

> and I'm sure they will

In this case, the only reason in Netherland (just one land) to look at
a foreign piece of strange text is most likely the fact that they're
supposed to be a professional business. But that's easy to avoid, and
this "respect" (with Mensys having and excellent track record indeed)
has nothing to do with any license at all.

Of course there's x:\PROGRAMS\NETSCAPE\PROGRAM\LICENSES\LICENSE.SV to
solve the translation problem. The license still is bogus
("/unfinished"), but I'm afraid PROGRAMS isn't a Swedish word. Nor are
PROGRAM, LICENSES and LICENSE. No reason to look for this file, no
need to read it, no record of having read it, no record of each user
having agreed to this license, no problem using Netscape without
having read it, and so on. Perhaps the only real protection is a brand
name, e.g. the "NETSCAPE"-part.

--
--- NewsGate v1.0 gamma 2

From: Dave Yeo (1:396/4)
To: n/a
Date: Sun, 14.06.20 14:57
Re: Is JFS really open source?
From: Dave Yeo <dave.r.yeo@gmail.com>

Jonathan de Boyne Pollard wrote:
>> The Linux JFS was IIRC ported directly from the OS/2 JFS source code,
>> which IBM did originally release about 10 years ago. It was on an IBM
>> site (AlphaWorks, I think) as was the LVM source; I think both have
>> disappeared from there now, though.
>>

> That's one of the little-spoken-of problems in the world of open
> source. Years down the line, it turns out that things aren't open
> source, because the source isn't published any more. The JFS project at
> SourceForge has only Linux trees (linux24, linux25, and linux-2.2.12)
> and there's no sign of those trees ever having had a jfs_ifs.c file
> (which is the file to look at for the relevant OS/2 FSD entrypoints, if
> anyone comes across this discussion in the future).

I remember looking at one of the first Linux releases of JFS. There were
lots of #ifdef __OS2__ but I don't think there was a jfs_ifs.c file and
knowing IBM I doubt that they would have released one.
Should be able to look at the svn history at sourceforge to find the
first release.
Dave
--- NewsGate v1.0 gamma 2

From: Andy (1:396/4)
To: n/a
Date: Sun, 14.06.20 14:57
Re: Is JFS really open source?
From: "Andy" <nospam-abwillis1-nopspam@nospam-gmail.com>

On Tue, 5 Apr 2011 23:34:42 UTC, Dave Yeo <dave.r.yeo@gmail.com>
wrote:

> Jonathan de Boyne Pollard wrote:
> >> The Linux JFS was IIRC ported directly from the OS/2 JFS source code,
> >> which IBM did originally release about 10 years ago. It was on an IBM
> >> site (AlphaWorks, I think) as was the LVM source; I think both have
> >> disappeared from there now, though.
> >>

> > That's one of the little-spoken-of problems in the world of open
> > source. Years down the line, it turns out that things aren't open
> > source, because the source isn't published any more. The JFS project at
> > SourceForge has only Linux trees (linux24, linux25, and linux-2.2.12)
> > and there's no sign of those trees ever having had a jfs_ifs.c file
> > (which is the file to look at for the relevant OS/2 FSD entrypoints, if
> > anyone comes across this discussion in the future).
>
> I remember looking at one of the first Linux releases of JFS. There were
> lots of #ifdef __OS2__ but I don't think there was a jfs_ifs.c file and
> knowing IBM I doubt that they would have released one.
> Should be able to look at the svn history at sourceforge to find the
> first release.
> Dave
The OS/2 specific code (at least some of it such as DASD support) was
removed by the maintainers but was initially released (not sure of the
jfs_ifs.c).
Andy
--

--- NewsGate v1.0 gamma 2

From: Dave Yeo (1:396/4)
To: n/a
Date: Sun, 14.06.20 14:57
Re: Is JFS really open source?
From: Dave Yeo <dave.r.yeo@gmail.com>

Alex Taylor wrote:
> There are also INF viewers available for various other OSes, I believe.

One of the Pascal distributions has adopted INF for their help system
and ported newview as the help/documentation viewer. Can't remember
which one though.
Hmm, a bit of googling returns
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Information_Presentation_Facility and
http://www.lazarus.freepascal.org/index.php?topic=10335.0
People are impressed.
Dave
--- NewsGate v1.0 gamma 2

From: Allan (1:396/4)
To: n/a
Date: Sun, 14.06.20 14:57
Re: Is JFS really open source?
From: "Allan" <allan2@warpspeed.dyndns.dk>

On Sun, 10 Apr 2011 07:42:44 UTC, Dave Yeo <dave.r.yeo@gmail.com> wrote:

> Alex Taylor wrote:
> > There are also INF viewers available for various other OSes, I believe.
>
> One of the Pascal distributions has adopted INF for their help system
> and ported newview as the help/documentation viewer. Can't remember
> which one though.
> Hmm, a bit of googling returns
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Information_Presentation_Facility and
> http://www.lazarus.freepascal.org/index.php?topic=10335.0
> People are impressed.

Another similar project - FPGUI - have also adapted INF as
help system for internel help.

Neither of these projects do funny enough not have OS/2 versions - yet.

From: A.D. Fundum (1:396/4)
To: n/a
Date: Sun, 14.06.20 14:57
Re: Is JFS really open source?
From: "A.D. Fundum" <what.ever@neverm.ind>

> Neither of these projects do funny enough not have OS/2 versions -
yet.

Well, maybe one could stop to try to be interesting regarding not
having the GUI environment, and just invest the full $20 to buy a
notebook capable of running OS/2 and (re-) obtain the PM/WPS that
way...

--
--- NewsGate v1.0 gamma 2