Fidonet Portal

From: OS2Mark (1:396/4)
To: n/a
Date: Sun, 14.06.20 14:57
Install OS2 4 CP2 install question
From: OS2Mark <goodbyerubbish@gmail.com>

Hello,

I have an IBM Thinkcentre 8086-36U. It has 4 GB ram, 160 GB HD. It runs a
Pentium 4. On board graphics.

I have installed CP2. No problems. But, on the initial boot it loads, shows the
Blue OS2 Warp screen, then crashes reporting a Trap error screen. It is headed
C0000005 from DOSCALL1.DLL

The h/d is formatted c: (DOS 2gb) E: (OS2 8gb) F: (JFS 150gb). It is running
OS2 bootmanager.

Dos boots properly.

Any thoughts? Many thanks.

--- NewsGate v1.0 gamma 2

From: Kelbel (1:396/4)
To: n/a
Date: Sun, 14.06.20 14:57
Re: Install OS2 4 CP2 install question
From: Kelbel <kelbel.b.root@free.fr>

OS2Mark wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have an IBM Thinkcentre 8086-36U. It has 4 GB ram, 160 GB HD. It runs a
Pentium 4. On board graphics.

> I have installed CP2. No problems. But, on the initial boot it loads, shows
the Blue OS2 Warp screen, then crashes reporting a Trap error screen. It is
headed C0000005 from DOSCALL1.DLL

> The h/d is formatted c: (DOS 2gb) E: (OS2 8gb) F: (JFS 150gb). It is running
OS2 bootmanager.

> Dos boots properly.
>
> Any thoughts? Many thanks.

Hi

I have quite the same ? box here (Thinkcentre 8189-7JG), merely used as a test
m/c.
OS/2 MCP installed after some difficulties.. & I had as well a crash after the
blue OS2
screen..
Format & partitions were done with DFSEE. I solved that crash by removing the
boot
manager installed by DFSEE and re-installing the b/m from the original OS/2
CD's..

If succesfull, I'd like to know if you have problems or not with USB.. I have
been unable
to find the proper USB drivers for that machine.. (eventhough the usb pendrives
are usable)
UsbresMgr says that no usb driver found and usbmountd says it can't query
number devices..

K.

--- NewsGate v1.0 gamma 2

From: Pete (1:396/4)
To: n/a
Date: Sun, 14.06.20 14:57
Re: Install OS2 4 CP2 install question
From: Pete <losepete@losepete.plus.com>

Hi

Kelbel wrote:
> OS2Mark wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> I have an IBM Thinkcentre 8086-36U. It has 4 GB ram, 160 GB HD. It
>> runs a Pentium 4. On board graphics.
>>
>> I have installed CP2. No problems. But, on the initial boot it loads,
>> shows the Blue OS2 Warp screen, then crashes reporting a Trap error
>> screen. It is headed C0000005 from DOSCALL1.DLL
>>
>> The h/d is formatted c: (DOS 2gb) E: (OS2 8gb) F: (JFS 150gb). It is
>> running OS2 bootmanager.
>>
>> Dos boots properly.
>> Any thoughts? Many thanks.
>>

> Hi
>
> I have quite the same ? box here (Thinkcentre 8189-7JG), merely used as
> a test m/c.
> OS/2 MCP installed after some difficulties.. & I had as well a crash
> after the blue OS2 screen..
> Format & partitions were done with DFSEE. I solved that crash by
> removing the boot
> manager installed by DFSEE and re-installing the b/m from the original
> OS/2 CD's..
>
> If succesfull, I'd like to know if you have problems or not with USB.. I
> have been unable
> to find the proper USB drivers for that machine.. (eventhough the usb
> pendrives are usable)
> UsbresMgr says that no usb driver found and usbmountd says it can't
> query number devices..
>
> K.

What buildlevel are the usb controllers and other drivers at?

The "USB Removables - Care and Feeding FAQs" included in the USBcfg Help
FAQs - http://hobbes.nmsu.edu/h-search.php?key=usbcfg&pushbutton=Search
- or available online at
http://www.os2voice.org/VNL/past_issues/VNL0606H/feature_2.html may be
of help in identifying driver buildlevels required and configuring your
system.

You may also want to try the updated USB drivers available on hobbes; I
think these are current:-

http://hobbes.nmsu.edu/download/pub/os2/system/drivers/misc/usbhcd197.zip

http://hobbes.nmsu.edu/download/pub/os2/system/drivers/misc/usbhid197.zip

http://hobbes.nmsu.edu/download/pub/os2/system/drivers/misc/usbres02.zip

Regards

Pete

--- NewsGate v1.0 gamma 2

From: Kelbel (1:396/4)
To: n/a
Date: Sun, 14.06.20 14:57
Re: Install OS2 4 CP2 install question
From: Kelbel <kelbel.b.root@free.fr>

Pete wrote:
> Hi
>
> Kelbel wrote:
>
>> OS2Mark wrote:
>>
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> I have an IBM Thinkcentre 8086-36U. It has 4 GB ram, 160 GB HD. It
>>> runs a Pentium 4. On board graphics.
>>>
>>> I have installed CP2. No problems. But, on the initial boot it loads,
>>> shows the Blue OS2 Warp screen, then crashes reporting a Trap error
>>> screen. It is headed C0000005 from DOSCALL1.DLL
>>>
>>> The h/d is formatted c: (DOS 2gb) E: (OS2 8gb) F: (JFS 150gb). It is
>>> running OS2 bootmanager.
>>>
>>> Dos boots properly.
>>> Any thoughts? Many thanks.
>>>

>> Hi
>>
>> I have quite the same ? box here (Thinkcentre 8189-7JG), merely used as
>> a test m/c.
>> OS/2 MCP installed after some difficulties.. & I had as well a crash
>> after the blue OS2 screen..
>> Format & partitions were done with DFSEE. I solved that crash by
>> removing the boot
>> manager installed by DFSEE and re-installing the b/m from the original
>> OS/2 CD's..
>>
>> If succesfull, I'd like to know if you have problems or not with USB.. I
>> have been unable
>> to find the proper USB drivers for that machine.. (eventhough the usb
>> pendrives are usable)
>> UsbresMgr says that no usb driver found and usbmountd says it can't
>> query number devices..
>>
>> K.
>>

> What buildlevel are the usb controllers and other drivers at?
>
> The "USB Removables - Care and Feeding FAQs" included in the USBcfg Help
> FAQs - http://hobbes.nmsu.edu/h-search.php?key=usbcfg&pushbutton=Search
> - or available online at
> http://www.os2voice.org/VNL/past_issues/VNL0606H/feature_2.html may be
> of help in identifying driver buildlevels required and configuring your
> system.
>
> You may also want to try the updated USB drivers available on hobbes; I
> think these are current:-
>
> http://hobbes.nmsu.edu/download/pub/os2/system/drivers/misc/usbhcd197.zip
>
> http://hobbes.nmsu.edu/download/pub/os2/system/drivers/misc/usbhid197.zip
>
> http://hobbes.nmsu.edu/download/pub/os2/system/drivers/misc/usbres02.zip
>

> Regards
>
> Pete

Pete,
Thks for your help. The bldlevel is 10.196 for the usb drivers, except
for usbmsd.add which is 10.162
I'll install the 10.197 version although I guess the problem comes from
the outdated usbmsd.add ..(not sure). There is nothing on Hobbes for
usbmsd.add..

K.

--- NewsGate v1.0 gamma 2

From: Pete (1:396/4)
To: n/a
Date: Sun, 14.06.20 14:57
Re: Install OS2 4 CP2 install question
From: Pete <losepete@losepete.plus.com>

Hi Kelbel

Kelbel wrote:
> Pete wrote:
>> Hi
>>
>> Kelbel wrote:

>>> Hi
>>>
>>> I have quite the same ? box here (Thinkcentre 8189-7JG), merely used as
>>> a test m/c.
>>> OS/2 MCP installed after some difficulties.. & I had as well a crash
>>> after the blue OS2 screen..
>>> Format & partitions were done with DFSEE. I solved that crash by
>>> removing the boot
>>> manager installed by DFSEE and re-installing the b/m from the original
>>> OS/2 CD's..
>>>
>>> If succesfull, I'd like to know if you have problems or not with USB.. I
>>> have been unable
>>> to find the proper USB drivers for that machine.. (eventhough the usb
>>> pendrives are usable)
>>> UsbresMgr says that no usb driver found and usbmountd says it can't
>>> query number devices..
>>>
>>> K.
>>>

>> What buildlevel are the usb controllers and other drivers at?
>>
>> The "USB Removables - Care and Feeding FAQs" included in the USBcfg
>> Help FAQs -
>> http://hobbes.nmsu.edu/h-search.php?key=usbcfg&pushbutton=Search - or
>> available online at
>> http://www.os2voice.org/VNL/past_issues/VNL0606H/feature_2.html may be
>> of help in identifying driver buildlevels required and configuring
>> your system.
>>
>> You may also want to try the updated USB drivers available on hobbes;
>> I think these are current:-
>>
>> http://hobbes.nmsu.edu/download/pub/os2/system/drivers/misc/usbhcd197.zip
>>
>> http://hobbes.nmsu.edu/download/pub/os2/system/drivers/misc/usbhid197.zip
>>
>> http://hobbes.nmsu.edu/download/pub/os2/system/drivers/misc/usbres02.zip
>>

>> Regards
>>
>> Pete
>>
> Pete,
> Thks for your help. The bldlevel is 10.196 for the usb drivers, except
> for usbmsd.add which is 10.162
> I'll install the 10.197 version although I guess the problem comes from
> the outdated usbmsd.add ..(not sure). There is nothing on Hobbes for
> usbmsd.add..
>
> K.

The usbmsd.add driver seems to work reasonably well on various desktops
and laptops here. I seem to recall that it does need os2dasd.dmd and
danis506.add to be at specific buildlevels or above - I think they are
mentioned in the "care and feeding..." FAQ.

The configuration tool, USBcfg, mentioned previously may be of help in
checking that your usb configuration is what you think it is eg if you
have the wrong usb controller driver(s) installed - or the wrong
quantity of the right controller driver(s) - things will not work right.

Regards

Pete

--- NewsGate v1.0 gamma 2

From: Kelbel (1:396/4)
To: n/a
Date: Sun, 14.06.20 14:57
Re: Install OS2 4 CP2 install question
From: Kelbel <kelbel.b.root@free.fr>

Pete wrote:
> Hi Kelbel
>
> Kelbel wrote:
>
>> Pete wrote:
>>
>>> Hi

>>> What buildlevel are the usb controllers and other drivers at?
>>>
>>> The "USB Removables - Care and Feeding FAQs" included in the USBcfg
>>> Help FAQs -
>>> http://hobbes.nmsu.edu/h-search.php?key=usbcfg&pushbutton=Search - or
>>> available online at
>>> http://www.os2voice.org/VNL/past_issues/VNL0606H/feature_2.html may be
>>> of help in identifying driver buildlevels required and configuring
>>> your system.
>>>
>>> You may also want to try the updated USB drivers available on hobbes;
>>> I think these are current:-
>>>
>>> http://hobbes.nmsu.edu/download/pub/os2/system/drivers/misc/usbhcd197.zip
>>>

>>> http://hobbes.nmsu.edu/download/pub/os2/system/drivers/misc/usbhid197.zip
>>>

>>> http://hobbes.nmsu.edu/download/pub/os2/system/drivers/misc/usbres02.zip
>>>

>>> Regards
>>>
>>> Pete
>>>
>> Pete,
>> Thks for your help. The bldlevel is 10.196 for the usb drivers, except
>> for usbmsd.add which is 10.162
>> I'll install the 10.197 version although I guess the problem comes from
>> the outdated usbmsd.add ..(not sure). There is nothing on Hobbes for
>> usbmsd.add..
>>
>> K.
>>

> The usbmsd.add driver seems to work reasonably well on various desktops
> and laptops here. I seem to recall that it does need os2dasd.dmd and
> danis506.add to be at specific buildlevels or above - I think they are
> mentioned in the "care and feeding..." FAQ.
>
> The configuration tool, USBcfg, mentioned previously may be of help in
> checking that your usb configuration is what you think it is eg if you
> have the wrong usb controller driver(s) installed - or the wrong
> quantity of the right controller driver(s) - things will not work right.
>

> Regards
>
> Pete

Hello Pete

Thks for your answer. May be I was not that clear in my original post.

The various pendrives are normally operating. There is no pb with the
number of controllers present and the associated drivers.
Hcimonit reports: 4 PCI USB UHCI host controller(s) and 1 PCI USB EHCI.
The same are listed in USBcfg.

The only item not working properly is usbresmg.. usbres.exe says
"USB driver not found", thus usbmountd can not operate..
The bldlevel of usbresmg.sys is at 10.196.. was there an update for
usbres.exe that I missed ?
I'm using OS/2 USB Resource Manager version 0.9 (beta)

Thks for your help

K.

--- NewsGate v1.0 gamma 2

From: Pete (1:396/4)
To: n/a
Date: Sun, 14.06.20 14:57
Re: Install OS2 4 CP2 install question
From: Pete <losepete@losepete.plus.com>

Hi Kelbel

----- big snip -----

> Hello Pete
>
> Thks for your answer. May be I was not that clear in my original post.
>
> The various pendrives are normally operating. There is no pb with the
> number of controllers present and the associated drivers.
> Hcimonit reports: 4 PCI USB UHCI host controller(s) and 1 PCI USB EHCI.
> The same are listed in USBcfg.
>
> The only item not working properly is usbresmg.. usbres.exe says
> "USB driver not found", thus usbmountd can not operate..
> The bldlevel of usbresmg.sys is at 10.196.. was there an update for
> usbres.exe that I missed ?
> I'm using OS/2 USB Resource Manager version 0.9 (beta)
>
> Thks for your help
>
> K.

What is usbmountd? - I do not have any apps/dlls by that name on my
systems. Is usbmountd included in CP2?

I suspect it performs in the same manner as the eCS supplied usbmsdd.exe
which replaced the earlier IBM usbmon.exe usb drive mounting daemon.

Sorry, never ran a pure CP2 system myself as I picked the eCS route so
there will be some differences in experiences Smile

Silly question: When you try attaching a usb drive do you get a
notification about drive/device attached? If "No" have you tried
clicking on the "Refresh Removables" icon in the Drives folder?

You could have a look at
http://home.hccnet.nl/w.m.brul/usbcalls/index.html for usbresmg updates
as Wim seems to be developing/updating a few usb bits.

Regards

Pete

--- NewsGate v1.0 gamma 2

From: ivan (1:396/4)
To: n/a
Date: Sun, 14.06.20 14:57
Re: Install OS2 4 CP2 install question
From: "ivan" <ivanjt@free.fr>

On Mon, 23 Feb 2015 17:14:22 UTC, Pete <losepete@losepete.plus.com>
wrote:

> Hi Kelbel
>
> Kelbel wrote:
> > Pete wrote:
> >

> ----- big snip -----
>

> > Hello Pete
> >
> > Thks for your answer. May be I was not that clear in my original post.
> >
> > The various pendrives are normally operating. There is no pb with the
> > number of controllers present and the associated drivers.
> > Hcimonit reports: 4 PCI USB UHCI host controller(s) and 1 PCI USB EHCI.
> > The same are listed in USBcfg.
> >
> > The only item not working properly is usbresmg.. usbres.exe says
> > "USB driver not found", thus usbmountd can not operate..
> > The bldlevel of usbresmg.sys is at 10.196.. was there an update for
> > usbres.exe that I missed ?
> > I'm using OS/2 USB Resource Manager version 0.9 (beta)
> >
> > Thks for your help
> >
> > K.
> >

> What is usbmountd? - I do not have any apps/dlls by that name on my
> systems. Is usbmountd included in CP2?
>
> I suspect it performs in the same manner as the eCS supplied usbmsdd.exe
> which replaced the earlier IBM usbmon.exe usb drive mounting daemon.
>
> Sorry, never ran a pure CP2 system myself as I picked the eCS route so
> there will be some differences in experiences Smile
>
> Silly question: When you try attaching a usb drive do you get a
> notification about drive/device attached? If "No" have you tried
> clicking on the "Refresh Removables" icon in the Drives folder?
>

> You could have a look at
> http://home.hccnet.nl/w.m.brul/usbcalls/index.html for usbresmg updates
> as Wim seems to be developing/updating a few usb bits.
>

> Regards
>
> Pete

Hi Pete,

Usbmountd is a program on hobbes.

Section 1 of the readme states.

USBMOUNTD v0.0.1

1. What is USBMOUNTD?

USBMOUNTD is an utility for automatic mounting of the USB media
devices in OS/2 LVM. On plugging a new device to the PC USBMOUNTD
automatically updates the list of the accessible in OS/2 removable
media
and assigns the corresponding drive letter. If USB drive file system
is dirty
USBMOUNTD can check it.

Other than knowing it was there - a client downloaded it and then
asked if he needed it - I know nothing about it. Also I don't see any
reason for using it if you setup any USB removable media correctly (we
use DFSee for the initial setup).

ivan
--

--- NewsGate v1.0 gamma 2

From: Pete (1:396/4)
To: n/a
Date: Sun, 14.06.20 14:57
Re: Install OS2 4 CP2 install question
From: Pete <losepete@losepete.plus.com>

Hi Ivan

ivan wrote:
> On Mon, 23 Feb 2015 17:14:22 UTC, Pete <losepete@losepete.plus.com>
> wrote:
>
>> Hi Kelbel
>>
>> Kelbel wrote:
>>> Pete wrote:
>>>

>> ----- big snip -----
>>

>>> Hello Pete
>>>
>>> Thks for your answer. May be I was not that clear in my original post.
>>>
>>> The various pendrives are normally operating. There is no pb with the
>>> number of controllers present and the associated drivers.
>>> Hcimonit reports: 4 PCI USB UHCI host controller(s) and 1 PCI USB EHCI.
>>> The same are listed in USBcfg.
>>>
>>> The only item not working properly is usbresmg.. usbres.exe says
>>> "USB driver not found", thus usbmountd can not operate..
>>> The bldlevel of usbresmg.sys is at 10.196.. was there an update for
>>> usbres.exe that I missed ?
>>> I'm using OS/2 USB Resource Manager version 0.9 (beta)
>>>
>>> Thks for your help
>>>
>>> K.
>>>

>> What is usbmountd? - I do not have any apps/dlls by that name on my
>> systems. Is usbmountd included in CP2?
>>
>> I suspect it performs in the same manner as the eCS supplied usbmsdd.exe
>> which replaced the earlier IBM usbmon.exe usb drive mounting daemon.
>>
>> Sorry, never ran a pure CP2 system myself as I picked the eCS route so
>> there will be some differences in experiences Smile
>>
>> Silly question: When you try attaching a usb drive do you get a
>> notification about drive/device attached? If "No" have you tried
>> clicking on the "Refresh Removables" icon in the Drives folder?
>>

>> You could have a look at
>> http://home.hccnet.nl/w.m.brul/usbcalls/index.html for usbresmg updates
>> as Wim seems to be developing/updating a few usb bits.
>>

>> Regards
>>
>> Pete
>>
> Hi Pete,
>
> Usbmountd is a program on hobbes.
>
> Section 1 of the readme states.
>
> USBMOUNTD v0.0.1
>
> 1. What is USBMOUNTD?
>
> USBMOUNTD is an utility for automatic mounting of the USB media
> devices in OS/2 LVM. On plugging a new device to the PC USBMOUNTD
> automatically updates the list of the accessible in OS/2 removable
> media
> and assigns the corresponding drive letter. If USB drive file system
> is dirty
> USBMOUNTD can check it.
>
> Other than knowing it was there - a client downloaded it and then
> asked if he needed it - I know nothing about it. Also I don't see any
> reason for using it if you setup any USB removable media correctly (we
> use DFSee for the initial setup).
>

> ivan

Looks like it might have been useful before the Refresh Removable Media
object became available.

Of possible interest: The usbwarn package from Wim Brul - see
http://home.hccnet.nl/w.m.brul/usbstick/index.html - pops open the usb
drive when it has been attached. I find it very useful Smile

Regards

Pete

--- NewsGate v1.0 gamma 2

From: Kelbel (1:396/4)
To: n/a
Date: Sun, 14.06.20 14:57
Re: Install OS2 4 CP2 install question
From: Kelbel <kelbel.b.root@free.fr>

Pete wrote:
> Hi Ivan
>
> ivan wrote:
>
>> On Mon, 23 Feb 2015 17:14:22 UTC, Pete <losepete@losepete.plus.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi Kelbel

>>> ----- big snip -----

--- another big snip ---

> Looks like it might have been useful before the Refresh Removable Media
> object became available.
>
> Of possible interest: The usbwarn package from Wim Brul - see
> http://home.hccnet.nl/w.m.brul/usbstick/index.html - pops open the usb
> drive when it has been attached. I find it very useful Smile
>

> Regards
>
> Pete

Pete,

Thanks for these infos. However no improvement. The latest UsbresMg.sys is not
able
to query the USB drivers installed. I give up. The "vintage" (and ugly)
usbmon.exe
does the job: inform & mount whatever usb stick is plugged in.

K.

--- NewsGate v1.0 gamma 2

From: Kelbel (1:396/4)
To: n/a
Date: Sun, 14.06.20 14:57
Re: Install OS2 4 CP2 install question
From: Kelbel <kelbel.b.root@free.fr>

Hello Pete

Next time you update USBCFG.EXE, can you include a test on the Config.Sys file,
and remove (& reinstall after completion) the Read-only attributes ?
I ran usbcfg the other day (config.sys was +r), and created an endless loop !

Thks
K.
--- NewsGate v1.0 gamma 2

From: Pete (1:396/4)
To: n/a
Date: Sun, 14.06.20 14:57
Re: Install OS2 4 CP2 install question
From: Pete <losepete@losepete.plus.com>

Hi

Kelbel wrote:
> Hello Pete
>
> Next time you update USBCFG.EXE, can you include a test on the
> Config.Sys file,
> and remove (& reinstall after completion) the Read-only attributes ?
> I ran usbcfg the other day (config.sys was +r), and created an endless
> loop !
>
> Thks
> K.

Currently USBcfg checks config.sys exists and will popup a message if
the file is not found.

I had not considered that some people may set config.sys as readonly so
will have to update USbcfg to cover that situation.

I guess it would be polite to popup a message something like:-

The CONFIG.SYS file is set as READONLY.
Click OK to let USBcfg access the CONFIG.SYS file or Cancel to Exit USBcfg.

Clicking OK will result in the readonly attributes being changed to
allow access to the file with the readonly attributes being reset to +R
when the user exits/closes USBcfg.

I'm currently in the middle of a house sale/purchase which is not going
as smoothly as it should so may not get a chance to update USBcfg for a
few weeks but the above is on the "to do list" for the next release.

Regards

Pete
--- NewsGate v1.0 gamma 2