Fidonet Portal

From: James J. Weinkam (1:396/4)
To: n/a
Date: Sun, 14.06.20 14:57
Samba printing success
From: "James J. Weinkam" <jjw@cs.sfu.ca>

I have succeeded in getting Samba printing working in eCS. Here are the
details:

I had concluded that smbprint was the most likely culprit for the failure of
printing to work, so I tried to lay my
hands on the source. I found smbprint.cmd and smbprint.vrx at netlabs.
smbprint.vrx was useless. Here is smbprint.cmd

/* REXX */
parms = arg(1)

parse var parms '"'spoolfile'" "'printername'" "'Jobname'" "'pages'"
"'Jobsize'"'
call beep 880, 100
/* 'D:\TCPIP\BIN\LPR.EXE -s eps.bfdnet.at -p 'printername' 'spoolfile */
'copy /B 'spoolfile' 'printername
call lineout 'D:\Samba\print.log','spoolfile ='spoolfile
call lineout 'D:\Samba\print.log','printername ='printername
call lineout 'D:\Samba\print.log','Jobname ='Jobname
call lineout 'D:\Samba\print.log','pages ='pages
call lineout 'D:\Samba\print.log','Jobsize ='Jobsize
/* ok = SysFileDelete(SpoolFile) */

This is too short to be the actual source for the smbprint.exe that comes with
Samba; nevertheless it provides some clues:

The only really useful information here is the identification and ordering of
the parameters, the name of the print log,
and the hint that the only substantive operation to be done is to copy
spoolfile to the printer queue..

Here is what I came up with:

/* jjw20141209 - smbprint.cmd replacement for smbprint.exe */
parse arg '"'spoolfile'" "'printername'" "'jobname'" "'pages'" "'jobsize'"'
d=date('S'Wink
call lineout
'G:\Samba\print.log',substr(d,1,4)'/'substr(d,5,2)'/'substr(d,7)'-'time(Wink'
'jobname
rc=stream('G:\Samba\print.log','c','close'Wink
'set beginlibpath=g:\ibmpli\dll;'
'set path=g:\ibmpli\bin;%path%'
'set dpath=g:\ibmpli\msg;%dpath%'
'e:\pli\apps\fil2prt.exe /'printername' <'spoolfile' >>G:\samba\print.log'
call RxFuncAdd 'SysFileDelete', 'RexxUtil', 'SysFileDelete'
rc=SysFileDelete(spoolfile)

This can be further simplified if you are willing to dispense with the print
log. I decided to use it for a while until
I am satisfied that the system is stable. At that point out it goes.

It is also necessary to have Samba and the spooler properly configured.

I have samba itself installed in g:\samba. However for each bootable instance
samba also keeps certain information on
the boot drive. At the moment, I have only one bootable partition using samba
which is my maintenance partition on drive
f. Instance specific information is stored in the tree under
%boot%:\MPTN\ETC\samba. In particular, smb.conf is in the
samba directory and Samba sets up its own internal "spooler" in the spool
directory under samba with a subdirectory for
each printer object. Do not point the real eCS spooler at this spool directory.

Basically, a printer specific spool file received from another computer is
first placed in
%boot%:\MPTN\ETC\samba\spool\printer with a weird name. Then smbprint is called
into action and it writes that file to
the real spooler which goes on to send it to the printer. Then smbprint must
delete the file received from the other
computer from Samba's internal spooler.

Here are the relevant sections from my smb.conf file (I have flagged the
important lines with an * in the left margin):

# Samba config file created using SSCC ver. 1.0.3
# from jjw@JJW3
# Date: 20 Nov 2014 20:25:07
[global]
workgroup = IBMPEERS
null passwords = Yes
passdb backend = tdbsam
guest account = guest
username map = F:\MPTN\ETC\samba\private\smbusermap
log level = 2
log file = F:\MPTN\ETC\samba\log\log.smbd.%U.%M
time server = Yes
load printers = No
* printing = os2
printcap name = G:\etc\printcap
* print command = G:\samba\smbprint.cmd "%s" "%p" "%J" "%c" "%z"
+ lpq command = lpq.exe -s %i -p %p
+ lprm command = lprm.exe -s %i -p %p %j
enumports command = G:\samba\enumports.cmd
add user script = G:\samba\usermod.cmd -a "%u"
rename user script = G:\samba\usermod.cmd -r "%uold" "%unew"
delete user script = G:\samba\usermod.cmd -x "%u"
add group script = G:\samba\groupmod.cmd -a "%g"
delete group script = G:\samba\groupmod.cmd -x "%g"
add user to group script = G:\samba\groupmod.cmd -j "%g" "%u"
delete user from group script = G:\samba\groupmod.cmd -l "%g" "%u"
set primary group script = G:\samba\usermod.cmd -p "%u" "%g"
add machine script = G:\samba\usermod.cmd -a "%u"
lm announce = Yes
wins support = Yes
add share command = G:\samba\addshare.cmd
change share command = G:\samba\changeshare.cmd
delete share command = G:\samba\delshare.cmd
lock directory = F:\MPTN\ETC\samba\lock
create mask = 0777
ea support = Yes
store dos attributes = Yes

[HOMES]

.... drive shares

[CP2025PC]
path = F:/MPTN/ETC/samba/spool/CP2025PC
read only = No
create mask = 0700
guest ok = Yes
printable = Yes
printer name = CP2025PC

[CP2025PS]
path = F:/MPTN/ETC/samba/spool/CP2025PS
read only = No
create mask = 0700
guest ok = Yes
printable = Yes
printer name = CP2025PS

Note that the printing, print, lpq, and lprm lines have been deleted from the
printer specific sections and a single
copy of each has been placed in the global section. I have no idea whether or
not the lpq and lprm lines are actually
needed for anything; the look superfluous to me. Also note that printing=os2 as
set up by the warpin installer seems to
work just as well as the printing=bsd setting specified in Herwig Bauernfeind's
instructions. If someone knows
otherwise, please speak up.

Finally here is the source for fil2prt. It should be straightforward to
transliterate to other languages.

% process mar(2,100),offset,libs(multi); /* fil2prt */
/* jjw20141205 - fil2prt {/}queue <prtfile - copy a printer specific file to
a printer queue */
/* (c) 2014 James J. Weinkam */
fil2prt: proc(cmd) options(main noexecops) reorder;
dcl
cmd char(*) var,
(queue,strz based) char(256) varz,
(bp,ib,p3,hs,(rp,si) init(null)Wink ptr,
(rc,nr,bs,nq,na,sa,i,tw) bin fixed(31),
(dtatyp init('PM_Q_RAW'Wink,cmt init('fil2prt'WinkWink char(Cool varz,
1 info3 based(p3),
2 pnm ptr,
2 (prty,strt,untl) bin fixed(15),
2 (*,*,*,*,*,dflt,byps,raw,*,*,*,*,*,*,*,*) bit(1),
2 (sep,qprc,qpar,qdsc) ptr,
2 (stat,jobs) bin fixed(15),
2 (ptrs,drvr,drvd) ptr,
1 devopnstr,
2 (loga,dvrnm,drvdta,dtyp,com,qproc,qpparm,qsplp,qnetp) ptr,
((SplEnumQueue entry(char(*) varz byaddr,bin fixed(31),ptr,bin fixed(31),
bin fixed(31) byaddr,bin fixed(31) byaddr,bin fixed(31) byaddr,ptr),
DosRead entry(ptr,ptr,bin fixed(31),bin fixed(31) byaddr),
SplQmStartDoc entry(ptr,char(*) varz byaddr),
SplQmWrite entry(ptr,bin fixed(31),ptr),
(SplQmClose,SplQmEndDoc) entry(ptr)Wink returns(bin fixed(31) byvalue),
SplQmOpen entry(char(*) varz byaddr,bin fixed(31),* byaddr) returns(ptr
byvalue)Wink
external options(byvalue nodescriptor linkage(system)Wink,
sysprint file print,
(addr,allocate,index,length,null,plifree,substr,trim) builtin;

queue=substr(cmd,1+index(cmd,'/'Wink);
if length(queue)=0 then do;
put file(sysprint) edit('Usage: fil2prt {/}queue <prtfile'Wink(col(1),a); goto
fini;
end;
rc=splenumqueue('',3,bp,0,nq,na,sa,rp);
if rc~=234&rc~=2123 then do;
put file(sysprint) edit('Invalid error code from SplEnumQueue.'Wink(col(1),a);
goto fini;
end;
bs=sa; bp=allocate(bs);
rc=splenumqueue('',3,bp,bs,nq,na,sa,rp); p3=bp;
if rc~=0 then do;
put file(sysprint) edit('Error getting printer object
information.'Wink(col(1),a); goto freebp;
end;
work: do i=1 to nq;
if pnm->strz=queue then do;
loga=pnm; dvrnm=drvr; drvdta=drvd; dtyp=addr(dtatyp); com=addr(cmt);
qproc,qpparm,qsplp,qnetp=null;
hs=splqmopen('*',4,devopnstr);
if hs=null then do;
put file(sysprint) edit('Unable to open spool file'Wink(col(1),a); goto
freebp;
end;
rc=splqmstartdoc(hs,'prtfile');
ib=allocate(61440); tw=0;
do forever;
rc=dosread(si,ib,61440,nr);
if nr>0 then do; tw+=nr; rc=splqmwrite(hs,nr,ib); end;
if nr<61440 then leave;
end;
put file(sysprint)
edit(vfmt(tw),' bytes written to ',queue,'; job id
',vfmt(splqmenddoc(hs)Wink,'.'Wink
(col(1),6 a);
rc=splqmclose(hs); call plifree(ib); goto freebp;
end;
p3+=44;
end work;
put file(sysprint) edit(queue,' not found.'Wink(col(1),2 a);
freebp: call plifree(bp);
vfmt: proc(i) returns(char(12) var);
dcl i bin fixed(31),c char(12);
put string(c) edit(i)(f(12)); return(trim(c,' 'Wink);
end;
fini: end fil2prt;
--- NewsGate v1.0 gamma 2

From: ivan (1:396/4)
To: n/a
Date: Sun, 14.06.20 14:57
Re: Samba printing success
From: "ivan" <ivanjt@free.fr>

On Wed, 10 Dec 2014 05:13:36 UTC, "James J. Weinkam" <jjw@cs.sfu.ca>
wrote:

> [...]
> end;
> rc=splqmstartdoc(hs,'prtfile');
> ib=allocate(61440); tw=0;
> do forever;
> rc=dosread(si,ib,61440,nr);
> if nr>0 then do; tw+=nr; rc=splqmwrite(hs,nr,ib); end;
> if nr<61440 then leave;
> end;
> put file(sysprint)
> edit(vfmt(tw),' bytes written to ',queue,'; job id
',vfmt(splqmenddoc(hs)Wink,'.'Wink
> (col(1),6 a);
> rc=splqmclose(hs); call plifree(ib); goto freebp;
> end;
> p3+=44;
> end work;
> put file(sysprint) edit(queue,' not found.'Wink(col(1),2 a);
> freebp: call plifree(bp);
> vfmt: proc(i) returns(char(12) var);
> dcl i bin fixed(31),c char(12);
> put string(c) edit(i)(f(12)); return(trim(c,' 'Wink);

Thanks James.

I will give this a try as soon as we can get a test setup up and
running - rather flat out at the moment with clients gearing up for
the ski season.

ivan
--

--- NewsGate v1.0 gamma 2

From: James J. Weinkam (1:396/4)
To: n/a
Date: Sun, 14.06.20 14:57
Re: Samba printing success
From: "James J. Weinkam" <jjw@cs.sfu.ca>

ivan wrote:
> On Wed, 10 Dec 2014 05:13:36 UTC, "James J. Weinkam"<jjw@cs.sfu.ca>
> wrote:
>
>> I have succeeded in getting Samba printing working in eCS. Here are the
details:

> Thanks James.
>
> I will give this a try as soon as we can get a test setup up and
> running - rather flat out at the moment with clients gearing up for
> the ski season.

Good luck in getting printing working on your system.

One thing I forgot to mention is that I found it necessary to check the printer
specific format box on the Queue Options
tab of the Printer properties notebook for the printer objects on both the
sending and receiving ends. Print while
spooling is also a good idea.
--- NewsGate v1.0 gamma 2

From: ivan (1:396/4)
To: n/a
Date: Sun, 14.06.20 14:57
Re: Samba printing success
From: "ivan" <ivanjt@free.fr>

On Thu, 11 Dec 2014 08:46:35 UTC, "James J. Weinkam" <jjw@cs.sfu.ca>
wrote:

> ivan wrote:
> > On Wed, 10 Dec 2014 05:13:36 UTC, "James J. Weinkam"<jjw@cs.sfu.ca>
> > wrote:
> >
> >> I have succeeded in getting Samba printing working in eCS. Here are the
details:

> > Thanks James.
> >
> > I will give this a try as soon as we can get a test setup up and
> > running - rather flat out at the moment with clients gearing up for
> > the ski season.
> >

> Good luck in getting printing working on your system.
>
> One thing I forgot to mention is that I found it necessary to check the
printer specific format box on the Queue Options
> tab of the Printer properties notebook for the printer objects on both the
sending and receiving ends. Print while
> spooling is also a good idea.

I can see this is going to be fun ;)

Our print server is accessed using an IP adderss <IP address/lp>.
There are no printer drivers on it, those and the spool reside on the
sending box.

The anoying thing is that any of our clients that have a windows
notebook or Android tablet can print to it without problems as can we
from a Linux box and any of our tablets - just not from OS/2.

There has to be a way - it is just a matter of finding it.

ivan
--

--- NewsGate v1.0 gamma 2

From: James J. Weinkam (1:396/4)
To: n/a
Date: Sun, 14.06.20 14:57
Re: Samba printing success
From: "James J. Weinkam" <jjw@cs.sfu.ca>

ivan wrote:
> On Thu, 11 Dec 2014 08:46:35 UTC, "James J. Weinkam"<jjw@cs.sfu.ca>
> wrote:
>

>> Good luck in getting printing working on your system.
>>
>> One thing I forgot to mention is that I found it necessary to check the
printer specific format box on the Queue Options
>> tab of the Printer properties notebook for the printer objects on both the
sending and receiving ends. Print while
>> spooling is also a good idea.
>

> I can see this is going to be fun ;)
>
> Our print server is accessed using an IP adderss<IP address/lp>.
> There are no printer drivers on it, those and the spool reside on the
> sending box.
>
> The anoying thing is that any of our clients that have a windows
> notebook or Android tablet can print to it without problems as can we
> from a Linux box and any of our tablets - just not from OS/2.
>
> There has to be a way - it is just a matter of finding it.
>
> ivan

fil2prt /NETPTR <pcl-or-psfile

works here, where NETPTR is the name of the printer object for the printer
connected directly to the network. This goes
straight to the printer and does not involve all the rigamarole needed for
printing to a shared printer.

Drag and drop of a printer specific file or printing to that printer object
from applications that can do so also works.

I have the \PIPE\LPD0 port configured as follows:

LPD server = ip address of printer
LPD printer = lp (Different make and model printers require different settings
here; lp works for most HP printers)
Host name = name of your computer, i.e., whatever you have in SET HOSTNAME in
config.sys.
Data Transfer Mode: Non Streaming Mode

You also have to configure your system to start LPRPORTD at boot time or start
it yourself manually (detach lprportd).

Go to SystemSetup->Network->TCP/IP->TCP/IP Configuration->Autostart

Under Autostarted Services click on lprportd. Under Autostart Options make sure
that Autostart Service and Detached are
selected, save the configuration, and reboot.

I just noticed that you mention a printer server. What I have is a HP CP2025dn
which has a network connector as well as
a USB connector. The HP documentation states that the network connection
includes a built in server. If what you have is
a printer server device attached to the network to which one or more printers
are attached then I think what you need is
to create a SLPR port for your printer and configure it appropriately. I know
nothing about this; I assume you would put
in the ip address for the server and a printer name or other id code to specify
which of several attached printers you
want to use. Presumably the server's user manual would explain that.

Also, I see no mention in your posts of what version of OS/2 or eCS you are
using. I would say that the older the
version of OS/2 you are using the less chance you have of getting it to work. I
am using eCS2.2betaII and still needed
to replace smbprint to get sharing and connecting working. I also had to write
a program that can copy a printer
specific file to a printer object unless I wanted to use drag and drop. YMMV.

--- NewsGate v1.0 gamma 2

From: Peter Brown (1:396/4)
To: n/a
Date: Sun, 14.06.20 14:57
Re: Samba printing success
From: Peter Brown <losepeteSPAM-ME-NOT@losepete.plus.com>

Hi ivan

ivan wrote:

----- snip -----

> I can see this is going to be fun ;)
>
> Our print server is accessed using an IP adderss<IP address/lp>.
> There are no printer drivers on it, those and the spool reside on the
> sending box.
>
> The anoying thing is that any of our clients that have a windows
> notebook or Android tablet can print to it without problems as can we
> from a Linux box and any of our tablets - just not from OS/2.
>
> There has to be a way - it is just a matter of finding it.
>
> ivan

I've been using cups to print via a print server for a few years; prior
to that I was using the slpr port as the output port for my local
printer to print via a print server.

Either method should work - cups may just take a bit more time to set up
though Smile

Regards

Pete

--- NewsGate v1.0 gamma 2

From: ivan (1:396/4)
To: n/a
Date: Sun, 14.06.20 14:57
Re: Samba printing success
From: "ivan" <ivanjt@free.fr>

On Thu, 11 Dec 2014 23:23:28 UTC, "James J. Weinkam" <jjw@cs.sfu.ca>
wrote:

> [...]
> a printer server device attached to the network to which one or more printers
are attached then I think what you need is
> to create a SLPR port for your printer and configure it appropriately. I know
nothing about this; I assume you would put
> in the ip address for the server and a printer name or other id code to
specify which of several attached printers you
> want to use. Presumably the server's user manual would explain that.
>
> Also, I see no mention in your posts of what version of OS/2 or eCS you are
using. I would say that the older the
> version of OS/2 you are using the less chance you have of getting it to work.
I am using eCS2.2betaII and still needed
> to replace smbprint to get sharing and connecting working. I also had to
write a program that can copy a printer
> specific file to a printer object unless I wanted to use drag and drop. YMMV.

Sorry, we are using WSeB with FP6 and any other updates we can find.
Our printers are a collection of HP laserjets with the main one being
an HP CLJ 3500. They have either an HP ethernet to USB print server
or are connected to one of the NAS print server USB ports.

Where can I get a copy of your fil2prt because if I can use that to
print it will cut out the need to have a very cut down XP running in a
VM to do the printing.

ivan
--

--- NewsGate v1.0 gamma 2

From: James J. Weinkam (1:396/4)
To: n/a
Date: Sun, 14.06.20 14:57
Re: Samba printing success
From: "James J. Weinkam" <jjw@cs.sfu.ca>

ivan wrote:

> Where can I get a copy of your fil2prt because if I can use that to
> print it will cut out the need to have a very cut down XP running in a
> VM to do the printing.

Email me privately.
--- NewsGate v1.0 gamma 2

From: Paul Ratcliffe (1:396/4)
To: n/a
Date: Sun, 14.06.20 14:57
Re: Samba printing success
From: Paul Ratcliffe <abuse@orac12.clara34.co56.uk78>

On Mon, 15 Dec 2014 14:24:56 -0800, James J. Weinkam <jjw@cs.sfu.ca> wrote:

>> Where can I get a copy of your fil2prt because if I can use that to
>> print it will cut out the need to have a very cut down XP running in a
>> VM to do the printing.
>
> Email me privately.

Is it possible to email publicly?
--- NewsGate v1.0 gamma 2

From: James J. Weinkam (1:396/4)
To: n/a
Date: Sun, 14.06.20 14:57
Re: Samba printing success
From: "James J. Weinkam" <jjw@cs.sfu.ca>

Paul Ratcliffe wrote:
> On Mon, 15 Dec 2014 14:24:56 -0800, James J. Weinkam<jjw@cs.sfu.ca> wrote:
>
>>> Where can I get a copy of your fil2prt because if I can use that to
>>> print it will cut out the need to have a very cut down XP running in a
>>> VM to do the printing.
>>
>> Email me privately.
>
> Is it possible to email publicly?
Good question; I suppose you could cc the newsgroup.
--- NewsGate v1.0 gamma 2