Fidonet Portal

From: David McKenna (1:396/4)
To: n/a
Date: Sun, 14.06.20 14:57
WinXP can't see WSeB domain
00000fac
From: "David McKenna" <davidmckenna@comcast.net>

I am trying to get a WinXP pro machine to log on to a WSeB 4.52 domain. IBM
LAN client is
installed on the WinXP machine (ver. 4.5) and the Browser service is started on
the server, but
WinXP claims the domain cannot be found. WinXP can ping the server (all
machines connect to the
same hub). OS/2 clients have no trouble connecting. Is there something I am
overlooking? Thanks
for any insights....

Dave McKenna

--- NewsGate v1.0 gamma 2

From: &lt;rde42@spamcop.net&gt; (1:396/4)
To: n/a
Date: Sun, 14.06.20 14:57
Re: WinXP can't see WSeB domain
From: <rde42@spamcop.net>

On Wed, 21 Mar 2007 18:33:26 UTC, "David McKenna"
<davidmckenna@comcast.net> wrote:

> I am trying to get a WinXP pro machine to log on to a WSeB 4.52 domain. IBM
LAN client is
> installed on the WinXP machine (ver. 4.5) and the Browser service is started
on the server, but
> WinXP claims the domain cannot be found. WinXP can ping the server (all
machines connect to the
> same hub). OS/2 clients have no trouble connecting. Is there something I am
overlooking? Thanks
> for any insights....

What protocol is the WSeB machine running?

Open MPTS (in System Setup?Wink config and check that you have NETBIOS over
TCP/IP installed. If you have just NETBIOS, that's the problem. In that
case come back here; there are two options.
--- NewsGate v1.0 gamma 2

From: David McKenna (1:396/4)
To: n/a
Date: Sun, 14.06.20 14:57
Re: WinXP can't see WSeB domain
00000fae
From: "David McKenna" <davidmckenna@comcast.net>

Hi,

On 21 Mar 2007 18:41:57 GMT, rde42@spamcop.net wrote:

>On Wed, 21 Mar 2007 18:33:26 UTC, "David McKenna"
><davidmckenna@comcast.net> wrote:
>
>> I am trying to get a WinXP pro machine to log on to a WSeB 4.52 domain.
IBM LAN client is
>> installed on the WinXP machine (ver. 4.5) and the Browser service is started
on the server, but
>> WinXP claims the domain cannot be found. WinXP can ping the server (all
machines connect to
the
>> same hub). OS/2 clients have no trouble connecting. Is there something I am
overlooking?
Thanks
>> for any insights....
>
>What protocol is the WSeB machine running?

Sorry, I should have mentioned the server has one Intel Gigabit NIC and has
the following protocols
attached:

1 - IBM OS/2 NETBIOS
0 - IBM OS/2 NETBIOS over TCP/IP
0 - IBM TCP/IP

I also tried installing NETBIOS on the XP machine but it made no
difference....

Dave McKenna

--- NewsGate v1.0 gamma 2

From: Alex Taylor (1:396/4)
To: n/a
Date: Sun, 14.06.20 14:57
Re: WinXP can't see WSeB domain
From: Alex Taylor <mail.me@reply.to.address>

On Wed, 21 Mar 2007 15:52:55 -0500 (EST), David McKenna
<davidmckenna@comcast.net> wrote:
> Sorry, I should have mentioned the server has one Intel Gigabit NIC and has
the following protocols
> attached:
>
> 1 - IBM OS/2 NETBIOS
> 0 - IBM OS/2 NETBIOS over TCP/IP
> 0 - IBM TCP/IP
>
> I also tried installing NETBIOS on the XP machine but it made no
difference....

Some other questions... does your IBMLAN.INI actually enable both
protocols for the SERVER service?

Also, what is your INETCFG configuration? ISTR some settings are
incompatible with WinXP communication.

--
Alex Taylor
http://www.cs-club.org/~alex

Remove hat to reply (reply-to address).
--- NewsGate v1.0 gamma 2

From: David McKenna (1:396/4)
To: n/a
Date: Sun, 14.06.20 14:57
Re: WinXP can't see WSeB domain
00000fb0
From: "David McKenna" <davidmckenna@comcast.net>

Alex,

<davidmckenna@comcast.net>
wrote:
>> Sorry, I should have mentioned the server has one Intel Gigabit NIC and
has the following
protocols
>> attached:
>>
>> 1 - IBM OS/2 NETBIOS
>> 0 - IBM OS/2 NETBIOS over TCP/IP
>> 0 - IBM TCP/IP
>>
>> I also tried installing NETBIOS on the XP machine but it made no
difference....

>Some other questions... does your IBMLAN.INI actually enable both
>protocols for the SERVER service?

As far as I can tell... from the IBMLAN.INI:

; This information is read by the redirector at device initialization time.
net1 = TCPBEUI$,0,LM10,34,100,14
net2 = NETBEUI$,1,LM10,34,100,14
..
..
..
srvheuristics = 111101411113130913311
SRVSERVICES = ALERTER,NETLOGON,LSSERVER,DCDBREPL,NETRUN,BROWSER
srvnets = net1,net2
autopath =
maxconnections = 300

[alerter]

sizalertbuf = 3072

[browser]

MaintainServerList = YES
Quiet = NO

>Also, what is your INETCFG configuration? ISTR some settings are
>incompatible with WinXP communication.
>
>--

Here it is:

#Inetcfg: CURRENT DEFAULT MINIMUM MAXIMUM

keepalive 300 7800 0 7800 KeepAlive (sec)
tcpswinsize 64240 32768 1024 246723 TCP SendWindow Size
tcprwinsize 64240 32768 1024 246723 TCP RecvWindow Size
udpswinsize 9216 9216 1024 246723 UDP SendWindow Size
udprwinsize 41600 41600 1024 246723 UDP RecvWindow Size
lingertime 120 120 0 65535 Linger Time (sec)
probecnt 8 8 1 8 Number Of KeepAlive Probes
ipforward 0 0 0 1 IP Forwarding flag ON/OFF
mtudiscover 0 1 0 1 TCP Path MTU Discovery ON/OFF
arpkillc 1200 1200 180 15300 ARP Complete TimeOut (sec)
arpkilli 180 180 60 1200 ARP InComplete TimeOut (sec)
lipcstswinsize 10240 10240 1024 246723 LIPC Stream SendWindow Size
lipcstrwinsize 10240 10240 1024 246723 LIPC Stream RecvWindow Size
lipcdgswinsize 2048 2048 1024 246723 LIPC Dgram SendWindow Size
lipcdgrwinsize 4096 4096 1024 246723 LIPC Dgram RecvWindow Size
synattack 1 0 0 1 SYN Attack Flag ON/OFF
syncookie 1 0 0 1 SYN Cookie Flag ON/OFF
firewall 0 0 0 1 FIREWALL ON/OFF
multidefrt 0 1 0 1 Multiple Default Routes ON/OFF
winscale 1 1 0 1 TCP Window Scale ON/OFF
timestmp 1 0 0 1 TCP TimeStamps ON/OFF
realslow 20 20 1 100 TCP TW Q Slow Timeout ticks
perfhttp 1 1 0 1 Fast Path HTTP ON/OFF
tcpttl 64 64 1 255 TCP TTL (hops)
udpttl 64 64 1 255 UDP TTL (hops)
icmpttl 64 64 1 255 ICMP TTL (hops)
fragttl 60 60 1 255 Fragment TTL (sec)
reusetw 0 1 0 1 Reuse Time Wait ON/OFF
msl 30 30 1 16384 TCP MaxSegLifeTime (sec)
cc 0 0 0 1 TTCP function ON/OFF
sack 0 0 0 1 Selective ACK ON/OFF

Thanks again for any insight.

Dave McKenna

--- NewsGate v1.0 gamma 2

From: Bruce D (1:396/4)
To: n/a
Date: Sun, 14.06.20 14:57
Re: WinXP can't see WSeB domain
From: Bruce D <os2box@gmail.com>

"David McKenna" <davidmckenna@comcast.net> wrote

> synattack 1 0 0 1 SYN Attack Flag ON/OFF
> syncookie 1 0 0 1 SYN Cookie Flag ON/OFF

Turn both of these OFF

synattack 0
syncookie 0

WinXP will not work with OS/2 tcpbeui enabed.

--- NewsGate v1.0 gamma 2

From: David McKenna (1:396/4)
To: n/a
Date: Sun, 14.06.20 14:57
Re: WinXP can't see WSeB domain
00000fb2
From: "David McKenna" <davidmckenna@comcast.net>

Hi Bruce,

On Sat, 24 Mar 2007 23:26:43 GMT, Bruce D wrote:

>"David McKenna" <davidmckenna@comcast.net> wrote
>
>> synattack 1 0 0 1 SYN Attack Flag ON/OFF
>> syncookie 1 0 0 1 SYN Cookie Flag ON/OFF
>>

>Turn both of these OFF
>
>synattack 0
>syncookie 0

Thanks! Doing this took care of the problem.... I think it was a legacy of me
trying to figure out how to
use the firewall functions of OS/2 (never did get my head totally around it).

>WinXP will not work with OS/2 tcpbeui enabed.

I did not need to do this - TCPBEUI is enabled and does not seem to
interfere with anything.

Dave McKenna

--- NewsGate v1.0 gamma 2

From: Karlheinz Schmidthaus (1:396/4)
To: n/a
Date: Sun, 14.06.20 14:57
Re: WinXP can't see WSeB domain
From: Karlheinz Schmidthaus <ksng1118@ksit.de>

Bruce D wrote:

> WinXP will not work with OS/2 tcpbeui enabed.

NO, WinXP work ONLY with tcpbeui and NOT with NetBeui. NetBeui is
unsupported by Microsoft.

--- NewsGate v1.0 gamma 2

From: &lt;rde42@spamcop.net&gt; (1:396/4)
To: n/a
Date: Sun, 14.06.20 14:57
Re: WinXP can't see WSeB domain
From: <rde42@spamcop.net>

On Tue, 27 Mar 2007 12:00:10 UTC, Karlheinz Schmidthaus
<ksng1118@ksit.de> wrote:

> Bruce D wrote:
> >
> > WinXP will not work with OS/2 tcpbeui enabed.
> >

> NO, WinXP work ONLY with tcpbeui and NOT with NetBeui. NetBeui is
> unsupported by Microsoft.

It works OK with NETBEUI. It just isn't supported. These are two
different things.

--- NewsGate v1.0 gamma 2

From: Philip R. Mann (1:396/4)
To: n/a
Date: Sun, 14.06.20 14:57
Re: WinXP can't see WSeB domain
From: Philip R. Mann <prmlaw@NOSPAMnyc.r.com>

On Tue, 27 Mar 2007 14:00:10 +0200, Karlheinz Schmidthaus
<ksng1118@ksit.de> wrote:

>NO, WinXP work ONLY with tcpbeui and NOT with NetBeui. NetBeui is
>unsupported by Microsoft.

However, Netbeui is available for manual installation on the XP CD.
--- NewsGate v1.0 gamma 2

From: Herwig Bauernfeind (1:396/4)
To: n/a
Date: Sun, 14.06.20 14:57
Re: WinXP can't see WSeB domain
00000fb6
From: Herwig Bauernfeind <herwig.DESPAM.bauernfeind@aon.at>

rde42@spamcop.net schrieb:
> On Tue, 27 Mar 2007 12:00:10 UTC, Karlheinz Schmidthaus
> <ksng1118@ksit.de> wrote:
>
>> Bruce D wrote:
>>> WinXP will not work with OS/2 tcpbeui enabed.
>>>
>> NO, WinXP work ONLY with tcpbeui and NOT with NetBeui. NetBeui is
>> unsupported by Microsoft.
>
> It works OK with NETBEUI. It just isn't supported. These are two
> different things.

Unfortunately NetBEUI seems to be dead slow with WinXP...

Herwig
--- NewsGate v1.0 gamma 2