Fidonet Portal

From: Marc Lewis (1:396/4)
To: All
Date: Sun, 14.06.20 14:57
NFS
From: "Marc Lewis" <Marc.Lewis@p0.f45.n396.z1[.]fidonet[.]org>

+ User FidoNet address: 1:396/45
* Original message posted in: COMP-OS2-NETWORK-SERV.
* Crossposted in: OS2.
Hello all.

I want to be able to share my drives in a manner that will enable Ubuntu (linux
based OS) to see them. Will NFS enable me to do that? Can someone give a
brief explanation of what NFS does or how it works?

Is there an "SMB" component that OS/2 can utilise as well?

Thanks in advance!

Best regards,
Marc
-+-timEd/2 1.10.y2k+

... Food is an important part of a well-balanced diet.(Fran Lebowitz)
+ The FidoNet News Gate (Meridian, MS - USA) +
+ The views of this user are strictly his or her own. +
--- NewsGate v1.0 gamma 2

From: Trevor Hemsley (1:396/4)
To: All
Date: Sun, 14.06.20 14:57
Re: NFS
From: "Trevor Hemsley" <Trevor.Hemsley@mytrousers.ntlworld.com>

On Wed, 28 Feb 2007 06:46:55 UTC in comp.os.os2.networking.server, "Marc Lewis"

<Marc.Lewis@p0.f45.n396.z1[.]fidonet[.]org> wrote:

> + User FidoNet address: 1:396/45
> * Original message posted in: COMP-OS2-NETWORK-SERV.
> * Crossposted in: OS2.
> Hello all.
>
> I want to be able to share my drives in a manner that will enable Ubuntu
(linux
> based OS) to see them. Will NFS enable me to do that? Can someone give a
> brief explanation of what NFS does or how it works?

What version of OS/2? Everything from Warp Connect upwards has Peer networking
built-in and this can be used from samba[-client] to map drives on Linux (as
long as what you're sharing on OS/2 are not large JFS formatted drives when you

find that nothing works properly SadWink.

> Is there an "SMB" component that OS/2 can utilise as well?

Peer.

--
Trevor Hemsley, Brighton, UK
Trevor dot Hemsley at ntlworld dot com

From: Richard Steiner (1:396/4)
To: All
Date: Sun, 14.06.20 14:57
Re: NFS
From: rsteiner@visi.com (Richard Steiner)

Here in comp.os.os2.networking.server,
"Marc Lewis" <Marc.Lewis@p0.f45.n396.z1[.]fidonet[.]org> spake unto us, saying:

>Hello all.

Howdy. Smile

>I want to be able to share my drives in a manner that will enable
>Ubuntu (linux based OS) to see them. Will NFS enable me to do that?

Yes.

>Can someone give a brief explanation of what NFS does or how it works?

NFS stands for Network File System, and it's a UNIX standard method for
sharing filesystems or parts of a filesystem across a network.

Do a search on Google for "NFS FAQ" -- that'll turn up more information
than you probably want to deal with. Smile

>Is there an "SMB" component that OS/2 can utilise as well?

OS/2's native peer-to-peer networking is compatible with Windows CIFS
filesharing (using the same SMB/CIFS protocol that Samba supports).

In addition, Samba itself has been ported to OS/2.

The Theorem Theorem: If If, Then Then.
--- NewsGate v1.0 gamma 2

From: Marc Lewis (1:396/4)
To: All
Date: Sun, 14.06.20 14:57
re: NFS
From: "Marc Lewis" <Marc.Lewis@p0.f45.n396.z1[.]fidonet[.]org>

+ User FidoNet address: 1:396/45
Hello all.

<On 27Feb2007 23:49 Trevor Hemsley wrote a message to All
regarding Re: NFS >

> I want to be able to share my drives in a manner that
> will enable Ubuntu (linux based OS) to see them. Will
> NFS enable me to do that? Can someone give a brief
> explanation of what NFS does or how it works?

TH> What version of OS/2? Everything from Warp Connect
TH> upwards has Peer networking built-in and this can be
TH> used from samba[-client] to map drives on Linux (as
TH> long as what you're sharing on OS/2 are not large JFS
TH> formatted drives when you find that nothing works
TH> properly SadWink.

Sorry for the omission. It's Warp 4.52 (Conv Pk 2) FP 6.
The drives are standard HPFS format and they are shared.
WinXP with the NetBEUI protocol added in can see the OS/2
machines' drives (and vice-versa). Ubuntu cannot see them
(yet.Wink This is why I was curious about NFS, as it's
mentioned in one of the Ubuntu docs. I simply don't have
enough experience to know how to properly configure the
built-in OS/2 NFS system. And I don't know what
implications it's use may have on other parts of the
system. (Suppose I could/should sit down and RTFM, but
thought I'd see if I could get some pointers first off.Wink
Granted, NFS has a nice GUI, but it's not, shall we say,
intuitive.

> Is there an "SMB" component that OS/2 can utilise as
> well?

TH> Peer.

Very well. Needless to say, Peer is running.

Any further info will be very much appreciated!

Best regards,
Marc
-+-timEd/2 1.10.y2k+

From: &lt;rde42@spamcop.net&gt; (1:396/4)
To: All
Date: Sun, 14.06.20 14:57
re: NFS
From: <rde42@spamcop.net>

On Wed, 28 Feb 2007 21:16:18 UTC, "Marc Lewis"
<Marc.Lewis@p0.f45.n396.z1[.]fidonet[.]org> wrote:

I would personally avoid using NFS. The OS/2 implementation is rather
buggy, and poorly documented.

> Sorry for the omission. It's Warp 4.52 (Conv Pk 2) FP 6.
> The drives are standard HPFS format and they are shared.
> WinXP with the NetBEUI protocol added in can see the OS/2
> machines' drives (and vice-versa). Ubuntu cannot see them
> (yet.Wink

Samba (on Ubuntu) does not support NETBEUI. It would be better to use
TCPBEUI (default on Windows, easy to add on OS/2 as "NETBIOS over
TCP/IP", what Samba provides on Ubuntu) on all machines.

> Very well. Needless to say, Peer is running.

Just add the "NETBIOS over TCP/IP" protocol.

--- NewsGate v1.0 gamma 2

From: Trevor Hemsley (1:396/4)
To: All
Date: Sun, 14.06.20 14:57
Re: NFS
From: "Trevor Hemsley" <Trevor.Hemsley@mytrousers.ntlworld.com>

On Wed, 28 Feb 2007 21:16:18 UTC in comp.os.os2.networking.server, "Marc Lewis"

<Marc.Lewis@p0.f45.n396.z1[.]fidonet[.]org> wrote:

> WinXP with the NetBEUI protocol added in can see the OS/2
> machines' drives (and vice-versa). Ubuntu cannot see them
> (yet.Wink

As others have written, you need TCPBEUI on OS/2 to talk to Samba. Once that's
installed you can remove NETBEUI from XP too.