Fidonet Portal

From: Herwig Bauernfeind (1:396/4)
To: All
Date: Sun, 14.06.20 14:57
(Maybe) dumb question regarding Samba Server for OS/2
00000f9d
From: Herwig Bauernfeind <herwig.DESPAM.bauernfeind@aon.at>

Hi,

I am running a Samba 3.0.9 alpha on top of an MCP 1 installation.

By and large it works, however running testparm.exe always gives me the
following warning:

WARNING: lock directory D:/samba/var/locks should have permissions 0755
for browsing to work

Well, I'd like to make that warning go away, but how do I do that?

Being a Linux newbie, I'd say on Linux chmod would be the way to go,
but on OS/2?

Any hint is appreciated...

Kind regards,
Herwig
--- NewsGate v1.0 gamma 2

From: Sjoerd Visser (1:396/4)
To: All
Date: Sun, 14.06.20 14:57
Re: (Maybe) dumb question regarding Samba Server for OS/2
From: Sjoerd Visser <sjoerd.h.visser@spam.hccnet.nl>

Herwig Bauernfeind wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am running a Samba 3.0.9 alpha on top of an MCP 1 installation.
>
> By and large it works, however running testparm.exe always gives me the
> following warning:
>
> WARNING: lock directory D:/samba/var/locks should have permissions 0755
> for browsing to work
>
> Well, I'd like to make that warning go away, but how do I do that?
>
> Being a Linux newbie, I'd say on Linux chmod would be the way to go,
> but on OS/2?
>
> Any hint is appreciated...
>
> Kind regards,
> Herwig

0755 is drwx r-x r-x.
Local permissions on OS/2 (HPFS, JFS) are drwx rwx rwx, giving any
program full permissions, so you can ignore it unless you also use
Security/2 (http://os2.kiev.ua/en/sses.phpWink.

Sjoerd Visser
--- NewsGate v1.0 gamma 2

From: Herwig Bauernfeind (1:396/4)
To: All
Date: Sun, 14.06.20 14:57
Re: (Maybe) dumb question regarding Samba Server for OS/2
00000f9f
From: Herwig Bauernfeind <herwig.DESPAM.bauernfeind@aon.at>

Hi,

Sjoerd Visser schrieb:
>> I am running a Samba 3.0.9 alpha on top of an MCP 1 installation.
>>
>> By and large it works, however running testparm.exe always gives me the
>> following warning:
>>
>> WARNING: lock directory D:/samba/var/locks should have permissions 0755
>> for browsing to work
>>
>> Well, I'd like to make that warning go away, but how do I do that?
>>
>> Being a Linux newbie, I'd say on Linux chmod would be the way to go,
>> but on OS/2?
>>
>> Any hint is appreciated...
>>
> 0755 is drwx r-x r-x.
> Local permissions on OS/2 (HPFS, JFS) are drwx rwx rwx, giving any
> program full permissions, so you can ignore it unless you also use
> Security/2 (http://os2.kiev.ua/en/sses.phpWink.

Getting nearer Smile

Security/2 is a prerequisite for using the Samba server port.
How do I do it with Security/2?

The docs are not really helpful.

Probably acls.exe is the one, but I don't understand the concept that is
used for that...

Kind regards,
Herwig
--- NewsGate v1.0 gamma 2

From: Sjoerd Visser (1:396/4)
To: All
Date: Sun, 14.06.20 14:57
Re: (Maybe) dumb question regarding Samba Server for OS/2
From: Sjoerd Visser <sjoerd.h.visser@spam.hccnet.nl>

Herwig Bauernfeind wrote:
> Getting nearer Smile
>
> Security/2 is a prerequisite for using the Samba server port.
> How do I do it with Security/2?
>
> The docs are not really helpful.
>
> Probably acls.exe is the one, but I don't understand the concept that is
> used for that...
>
> Kind regards,
> Herwig

The documentation of security/2 is indeed brief. And the forum list of
http://os2.kiev.ua/en/forum.index.php?f=0 shows no discussions that
clarify things.

I quess you need a user samba (user -a samba) and a section for it in
\SECURITY\etc\acls.

From the docs:

The format of each section is:

[id:first]
; <allowed actions> <mask>
cwdr c:\docs\*
* c:\os2\*
- *myporno*

The possible rights to actions :

c - grant create
w - grant write
d - grant delete
r - grant read
x - grant execute
s - grant start session
- - deny all actions
* - allow all actions

So it could be:

[103:u:samba]
* D/samba/var/locks
; or maybe better: cwdr D/samba/var/locks

But this is not more then a hint, as I have no experience with it.

The OS/2 PC's I use the WPS as RUNWORKPLACE and I'm afraid that can not
be done using Security/2. So I prefer to use samba under Linux (or as a
netdrive client).

Sjoerd Visser
--- NewsGate v1.0 gamma 2

From: Paul Smedley (1:396/4)
To: All
Date: Sun, 14.06.20 14:57
Re: (Maybe) dumb question regarding Samba Server for OS/2
From: "Paul Smedley" <pauldespam@despamsmedley.info>

Hi Herwig,

On Wed, 7 Feb 2007 10:45:41 UTC, Herwig Bauernfeind
<herwig.DESPAM.bauernfeind@aon.at> wrote:
> I am running a Samba 3.0.9 alpha on top of an MCP 1 installation.
You might be interested in testing Samba 3.0.24 then? If so contact
me....

> By and large it works, however running testparm.exe always gives me the
> following warning:
>
> WARNING: lock directory D:/samba/var/locks should have permissions 0755
> for browsing to work
>
> Well, I'd like to make that warning go away, but how do I do that?
I'd suspect only a code change will make that go away....

--
Cheers,

Paul.
--- NewsGate v1.0 gamma 2