Fidonet Portal

From: Victor Bien (1:396/4)
To: All
Date: Sun, 14.06.20 14:57
Apache2 inaccessible from internet but...
From: Victor Bien <me@privacy.net>

works fine across the LAN.

I've configured my adsl modem router with NAT to direct calls to port 80 -
to the web server. The LAN side of the router IP is 192.168.1.1 and the web
server on my OS/2 machine I call "AOpen" has IP 192.168.1.14. That name and IP
are associated in D:\mptn\etc\hosts.

The router config to my ftpd server works OK from both inside and from the
outside (internet) which seems to prove that I am on top of (at least the
*theory* of) configuring NAT. For now I can access my files across the
internet while away from home but it would be nice to be able to serve up web
pages from my home computer...

I've been through httpd.conf several times but can't spot anything wrong.

Any tips appreciated.

TIA

--
To reply by e-mail edit this address to the correct form: vbien at attglobal
dot net

System: ASUS K8VSE mb, Sempron 3000+, 1028 MB DDRAM, ATI 9550 video,
Soundblaster Live soundcard, on-board NIC, primary & secondary disks are IDE,
LG CD burner, Tekram scsi hba uses Symbios chip, HP 5p scanner, adsl access via
LAN, Lexmark laser printer. MCP2, FP5, 14.103a_W4 kernel, Scitech video, C:
FAT16 540MB, D: HPFS 2.8GB, E: JFS 34.8GB, F: JFS 100 GB, G: JFS 7. GB, H: JS
7.2 GB, always run OD 1.53 Tab Launch pad with XWorkplace XPager, PM Fax
3.00.05e, some PIMs, Screen Util, Apache 2, ftpd, PMMail 2.20.2382, Firefox ver
2.0 rc2, DeScribe 5.0.6 and a couple of Win-OS2 programs. Runs 24h/d.

--- NewsGate v1.0 gamma 2

From: Steven Levine (1:396/4)
To: All
Date: Sun, 14.06.20 14:57
Re: Apache2 inaccessible from internet but...
From: Steven Levine <steve53@earthlink.bogus.net>

In <50eqo7F1fpasiU1@mid.individual.net>, on 01/08/2007
at 11:11 PM, Victor Bien <me@privacy.net> said:

> I've been through httpd.conf several times but can't spot anything
>wrong.

Have you checked the apache logs?

Steven

------------
Steven Levine <steve53@earthlink.bogus.net> MR2/ICE 2.67 #10183
Warp/eCS/DIY/14.103a_W4 www.scoug.com irc.fyrelizard.com #scoug (Wed 7pm PST)
------------

--- NewsGate v1.0 gamma 2

From: Victor Bien (1:396/4)
To: All
Date: Sun, 14.06.20 14:57
Re: Apache2 inaccessible from internet but...
From: Victor Bien <me@privacy.net>

Steven Levine wrote:
> In <50eqo7F1fpasiU1@mid.individual.net>, on 01/08/2007
> at 11:11 PM, Victor Bien <me@privacy.net> said:
>
>> I've been through httpd.conf several times but can't spot anything
>> wrong.
>
> Have you checked the apache logs?

Not until you prompted me but there was only access details from the LAN and
no errors. Previously with apache2 pointed to another document root there were
SIGTERM errors due to the absence of favicon.ico but now I've got it back to
/Usr/apache2/htdocs until I get more experience and it still just sits there
when looked at over the internet. After a while Firefox gives that popup
saying the server has terminated the connection and has that button to try
again.

From: Steven Levine (1:396/4)
To: All
Date: Sun, 14.06.20 14:57
Re: Apache2 inaccessible from internet but...
From: Steven Levine <steve53@earthlink.bogus.net>

In <50fn7cF1g3k5uU1@mid.individual.net>, on 01/09/2007
at 07:17 AM, Victor Bien <me@privacy.net> said:

>I've got it back to /Usr/apache2/htdocs until I get more experience and
>it still just sits there when looked at over the internet. After a while
>Firefox gives that popup saying the server has terminated the connection
>and has that button to try again.

This is most likely a router setup problem and not to do with apache per
se.

You can test this with

telet -p 80 yourwebsiteip

Note that you must do this from IP address outside your LAN.

Steven

------------

From: Victor Bien (1:396/4)
To: All
Date: Sun, 14.06.20 14:57
Re: Apache2 inaccessible from internet but...
From: Victor Bien <me@privacy.net>

Steven Levine wrote:
> In <50fn7cF1g3k5uU1@mid.individual.net>, on 01/09/2007
> at 07:17 AM, Victor Bien <me@privacy.net> said:
>

>> I've got it back to /Usr/apache2/htdocs until I get more experience and
>> it still just sits there when looked at over the internet. After a while
>> Firefox gives that popup saying the server has terminated the connection
>> and has that button to try again.
>
> This is most likely a router setup problem and not to do with apache per
> se.
>
> You can test this with
>
> telet -p 80 yourwebsiteip
>
> Note that you must do this from IP address outside your LAN.

Sorry there is nothing wrong with my Apache2 and everything to do with my
ISP. They block http traffic from their "residential" clients. To get it to
work I have to become a "business" client. I should have checked before
posting but did not think of checking with them until now.

From: Allodoxaphobia (1:396/4)
To: All
Date: Sun, 14.06.20 14:57
Re: Apache2 inaccessible from internet but...
From: Allodoxaphobia <bit-bucket@config.com>

On Tue, 09 Jan 2007 13:57:25 +1100, Victor Bien wrote:
> Steven Levine wrote:
>> In <50fn7cF1g3k5uU1@mid.individual.net>, on 01/09/2007
>> at 07:17 AM, Victor Bien <me@privacy.net> said:
>>

>>> I've got it back to /Usr/apache2/htdocs until I get more experience and
>>> it still just sits there when looked at over the internet. After a while
>>> Firefox gives that popup saying the server has terminated the connection
>>> and has that button to try again.
>>
>> This is most likely a router setup problem and not to do with apache per
>> se.
>>
>> You can test this with
>>
>> telet -p 80 yourwebsiteip
>>
>> Note that you must do this from IP address outside your LAN.
>

> Sorry there is nothing wrong with my Apache2 and everything to do with
my ISP. They block http traffic from their "residential" clients. To
get it to work I have to become a "business" client. I should have
checked before posting but did not think of checking with them until now.

Depending on how you intend to use your Apache server, you can select a
different (high) port number for http requests and have the router
re-direct the request(s) to port 80 on your server.

Howsomeever, if you were intending the server's application to be for
general public use, that would probably not be an agreeable solution.

Jonesy
--
Marvin L Jones | jonz | W3DHJ | linux
*** Killfiling google posts: <http//jonz.net/ng.htm>;