Fidonet Portal

From: Michiel van der Vlist (2:280/5555)
To: n/a
Date: Fri, 12.06.20 00:42
Be prepaired ;-)
Hello Ricsi,

On Thursday June 11 2020 16:04, you wrote to Terry Roati:

MVDV>>> IPv6 adaption is going tantalizingly slow.

TR>> I beleive it is due to hardware upgrade delays, ISP's like making
TR>> money no spending it until they have to.

RM> Nope ... the hardware in the field supports it for years. (at least
RM> all the IP equipment and the vast majority of the CPEs) It is the cost
RM> of the configuration. It is more complex to support dual stack, and
RM> the average customer is not willing to pay an extra. So there is no
RM> business case. Why should they spend money on configuring something
RM> that the vast majority of their customer base does not care about.

I think is is not the available equipment, but it is also not the ISPs any
more. The ISPs /are/ finally moving. Now it is the companies that are the
laggerds. Here is another contribution from Iljitch:

http://www.iljitsch.com/2020/05-25-ipv6-covid19-christmas-everyday.html

What we see is that more people have IPv6 at home than they have at work...

Cheers, Michiel

--- GoldED+/W32-MSVC 1.1.5-b20170303
* Origin: he.net certified sage (2:280/5555)