Fidonet Portal

From: Janis Kracht (1:261/38)
To: All
Date: Wed, 22.02.12 18:04
FIDOGAZETTE TOPICS
Hi Daryl,

> I enjoyed the latest issue of the FIDOGazette...particularly on the
> MagicJack topic, and the E-Ministries.

Hey, thank you for your comment.

> I have a regular MagicJack for a voice line, and the MagicJack Plus
> set up for a fax machine...even though I do have a US Robotics 56K
> external fax modem.

> However, the analog phone lines around here are atrocious. Several
> years ago, at the apartment complex where I live...even though the phone
> and other underground cable lines were CLEARLY MARKED, construction
> crews cut them like a knife through butter. Then, it poured rain, and
> all the water got into the cable. The resulting noise in the line was so
> bad, you couldn't even have a dial-up line on the BBS.

What a drag that must have been Sad The Phone company wouldn't check the
quality of the line after the cables were sliced, etc? You'd think they would
have, since different people might later have moved in, etc..

> With the BBS setup that I have (currently telnet under Virtual
> Advanced, but soon to be under GT Power for telnet), I didn't know if
> it'd be worth it to consider dial-up access again.

Over here, I still have some users calling in via modem, certainly not like in
the "old days" in terms of numbers though . I guess my main reason for
maintaining the POTS line though is there are a number of sysops who's systems
I deliver mail/files to via modem. For those people, using the internet is not
a feasible alternative.

> My system is normally
> down, obviously, if the internet is out...and especially if
> thunderstorms are in the central Arkansas area.

Yes, same here, really... especially since so much mail is received here via
TCPIP.. Richard is right though that because of that dependence, a backup POTS
connection is a great idea.

> I am getting my FIDONet mail through Tim Cornett, and will see if I
> can add that MINISTER echo.

Hopefully Jon has time to keep that message area active.. I know school keeps
him a bit busy..

> Any comments on the MagicJack deal would be appreciated.

Hopefully you've seen Roy's comments about it.. Smile

Take care,
Janis

--- BBBS/Li6 v4.10 Dada-1
* Origin: Prism bbs (1:261/38)