Fidonet Portal

From: Janis Kracht (1:261/38)
To: All
Date: Sat, 11.02.12 00:31
POTS only node - question.
Hi Mark!

>I was wondering if anyone had a rough count of POTS only nodes in Fido? Also,

In Zone 1, we have about 90 some pots nodes.. I deleted all the duplicate Host,
entries, and the ZIN entries.. so that's pretty fair guess I'd say. That is
anyone who had a 1- entry in the phone field.

Not sure about Zone 2 yet..much harder to count because of the different
country codes.. There are 1368 lines (duplicates not checked) that fly the V34
flag..

In Zone 3, there are about 12 or so that fly the V34 flag.

In Zone 4 there are about 3

In Zone 5 there are about 4

>is anyone aware of Fido nodes using VoIP for their POTS service? Just curious

As a matter of fact, Nick Kill and I were testing that yesterday and today..
He's got a magicjack line there. I was able to log onto his test bbbs as a
user with my Courier V.Everything.. First he tried logging onto my bbs as a
user... it took several tries for him to connect here with his MagicJack
connection and HSF Modem, but I attributed that to our modems training up/down
before they settled into a connection here. Then I called his system as user
and it also took a few tries before I connected .. I tell you, I forgot how
slow a phone connection could be as a user LOL but seriously, I attribute that
to settings we later though of, that kind of thing. When he called here, he
connected 31200/ARQ/V34/LAPM/V42BIS.. hehe

Next we'll try connecting mailer to mailer.. that MIGHT be easier .. I think..

>Richard's article sparked that question. I'm one of the BinkD only nodes, but
> do see where it completely relies on the Internet. I have an extra VoIP line
> that almost never gets used which could be put to use.

> Many VoIP lines should work with modems - provided you can turn off the codec
> (compression) on them before making a call. I'm just not sure about the
> receiving a call scenario (since you can't send a *90 or whatever needed to
> turn off compression when receiving a call).

We didn't have to worry about that calling as users naturally.. though it might
have made a difference had we tried to download any files from each other's
bbs's. We were more than joyous when we each saw a prompt for username, etc Smile

> Not sure if all that is worth the investigation since we already have some
> people handling the POTS connections.
> Redundancy is a nice thing. I have setup many redundant network connectivity
>setups before, using various technologies. It seems that many of them involve
> the Internet, however. Much in part because failing over high speed
>connections to a dialup is just not something that would work - due to lack of
> speed.

I DO think it's a worthwile thing.. with costs like magicjack boasts, it could
be tempting to drop this darn telephone line that costs me over $30/month +
more for LD plans..

Take care,
Janis

--- BBBS/Li6 v4.10 Dada-1