Fidonet Portal

From: Rick Smith (1:340/202.1)
To: All
Date: Mon, 08.06.20 22:54
Backup
Greetings All!

I was wondering if anyone can recommend a backup program, I would like to run
(auto if possible) routine that can back up certain directories and ftp it to
my NAS, I have a routine for the ftp part if the backup program cant do that
piece..

Regards,

----
Rick Smith (Nitro)

... Reality is for people who can't handle BBSing
--- GoldED+/LNX 1.1.5-b20180707
* Origin: ----> Abacus Sysop Point --->>>>bbs.abon.us:2323 (1:340/202.1)

From: Tony Langdon (3:633/410)
To: All
Date: Tue, 09.06.20 13:19
Re: Backup
-=> On 06-08-20 20:54, Rick Smith wrote to All Greetings All!

RS> I was wondering if anyone can recommend a backup program, I would like
RS> to run (auto if possible) routine that can back up certain directories
RS> and ftp it to my NAS, I have a routine for the ftp part if the backup
RS> program cant do that piece..

RS> Regards,

tar? Smile

That or zip are what I use on my Linux systems. Smile

... TARDIS Express: When it absolutely must be there Before you send it!
=== MultiMail/Win v0.51
--- SBBSecho 3.10-Linux
* Origin: Freeway BBS Bendigo,Australia freeway.apana.org.au (3:633/410)

From: Dennis Katsonis (1:124/5016)
To: All
Date: Wed, 10.06.20 13:26
Re: Backup
-=> Rick Smith wrote to Tony Langdon Greetings Tony!

RS> 09 Jun 20 20:29, you wrote to me about an urgent matter!:

TL> -=> On 06-08-20 20:54, Rick Smith wrote to All That or zip are what I use on my Linux systems. Smile

RS> Im sorry I was referring to backup software not archivers

Ahh, I was going to recommend Denis Corbin's DAR.

What are your other requirements? I was looking for a backup program too, but
I found they generally fell into three groups. The first were more complex
systems like Bacula which were really for the "enterprise". The second were
just front ends to CLI tools, which I kind of think you may as well use the
tool directly, and the third were command line tools like BORG.

Do you have many directories to backup? What sort of backup schedule? Do you
need differential/incremental backups?

... Dennis Katsonis
=== MultiMail/Linux v0.52
--- SBBSecho 3.11-Linux
* Origin: End Of The Line BBS - endofthelinebbs.com (1:124/5016)

From: Tony Langdon (3:633/410)
To: All
Date: Wed, 10.06.20 14:00
Re: Backup
-=> On 06-09-20 07:14, Rick Smith wrote to Tony Langdon Greetings Tony!

RS> 09 Jun 20 20:29, you wrote to me about an urgent matter!:

TL> -=> On 06-08-20 20:54, Rick Smith wrote to All That or zip are what I use on my Linux systems. Smile

RS> Im sorry I was referring to backup software not archivers

Well, I do my backups with tar/gzip or zip (the latter if there's something
that might be restorable on Windows). This is easily scripted, including
naming backups with a datestamp (at least in Linux).

So, you really need to be more specific with your question. Smile

... Rugby is played by men with odd-shaped balls!!

From: mark lewis (1:3634/12)
To: All
Date: Wed, 10.06.20 11:32
Re: Backup
Re: Re: Backup
By: Tony Langdon to Rick Smith on Wed Jun 10 2020 19:20:00

RS>> Im sorry I was referring to backup software not archivers

TL> Well, I do my backups with tar/gzip or zip (the latter if
TL> there's something that might be restorable on Windows).
TL> This is easily scripted, including naming backups with a
TL> datestamp (at least in Linux).

powershell should be able to return a timestamp for use in naming files, too...

what you describe for linux is a method i use, too... once i create the
archive, i scp it to another machine or three... at least one is offsite...

interestingly enough, archiving and then backing up to a media is how many
winwhatever backup solutions work... or they do an rsync-type backup where they
move only the new and/or changed files... the question is how
automated do you want it and how much work are you willing to do to achieve
this operation ;)

)\/(ark
--- SBBSecho 3.11-Linux
* Origin: SouthEast Star Mail HUB - SESTAR (1:3634/12)

From: Tony Langdon (3:633/410)
To: All
Date: Thu, 11.06.20 13:49
Re: Backup
-=> On 06-10-20 09:32, mark lewis wrote to Tony Langdon powershell should be able to return a timestamp for use in naming
ml> files, too...

I haven't done much with Powershell, but I wouldn't be surprised if it can name
files by date.

ml> what you describe for linux is a method i use, too... once i create the
ml> archive, i scp it to another machine or three... at least one is
ml> offsite...

Yep, I try and have it as hands off as possible. Smile

ml> interestingly enough, archiving and then backing up to a media is how
ml> many winwhatever backup solutions work... or they do an rsync-type
ml> backup where they move only the new and/or changed files... the
ml> question is how automated do you want it and how much work are you
ml> willing to do to achieve this operation ;)

Yep. I've found standard Linus tools like tar, gzip and rsync are easier for
me, because they're portable.

... Before they invented drawing boards, what did they go back to?