Fidonet Portal

From: Ib Joe (1:342/201)
To: All
Date: Fri, 05.06.20 11:47
Latest Version
Taking the plunge and getting the latest WINS. I have paid for 7.something
and never used it. I have been playing with Synchronet and Mystic over the
past little while and though I see the effort behind those 2 projects I am
just drawn back to WINS...

Signed up to the AUP ... and apparently the version on my HDD isn't working
corectly, had to order a new install disk from Santronics... Piss me off,
anti-climatic. I also took care of any issues with the latest version of PXW.

I don't have the time like I use to, but I will rebuild my WINS system slowly
over the next little bit.

Anyway, in a week or 2 I'll be starting my work...

TTYL

IB Joe
AKA Joe Schweier
SysOp of Joe's BBS
-= JoesBBS.Com =-

--- Mystic BBS v1.12 A45 2020/02/18 (Raspberry Pi/32)
* Origin: Joe's BBS -=JoesBBS.Com=- (1:342/201)

From: Ib Joe (1:342/201)
To: All
Date: Fri, 05.06.20 13:54
Re: Latest Version
On 05 Jun 2020, RUBEN FIGUEROA said the following...
RF> Well enjoy building up you WINS BBS! Keep us posted on progress. We be
RF> happy to test out for you.
RF>
RF> --- Platinum Xpress/Win/WINServer v7.0
RF> * Origin: WildCat Prison BBS, Mesquite Tx (1:124/5013)

I'm just pissed that I have to wait for my install disks...

Too lazzy to look for them... Smile

From: Ruben Figueroa (1:124/5013)
To: All
Date: Sat, 06.06.20 17:49
Re: Latest Version
-> RF> Well enjoy building up you WINS BBS! Keep us posted on progress. We
be
-> RF> happy to test out for you.
-> RF>
-> RF> --- Platinum Xpress/Win/WINServer v7.0
-> RF> * Origin: WildCat Prison BBS, Mesquite Tx (1:124/5013)

-> I'm just pissed that I have to wait for my install disks...

-> Too lazzy to look for them... Smile

Understood.

From: Robert Wolfe (1:116/17)
To: All
Date: Mon, 08.06.20 00:09
Re: Latest Version
-=> Joe Schweier wrote to Rick Smith <=-

RS> from back then, which I almost understand (tho we are
RS> hobbyist not making money with it) but having to pay AUP
RS> is what keeps me from coming back. I will say I think it
RS> is fine software, just not really worth the money at
RS> least to me.

[...]

JS> I have played with other software, SynchroNET & Mystic, the only two
JS> worth mentioning, and I keep getting drawn back to WINS. The only

Yeah, this is what happens to me Smile I admit I DO run Mystic, but any
for it's built-in mail and file processing abilities. It has a Fido
node number as does my WINServer 10 system. My WINS system just polls
Fido from my Mystic system, that's all Smile

... When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.
--- MultiMail/Win v0.52
* Origin: Lean Angle BBS * Southaven MS * winserver.org (1:116/17)

From: Robert Wolfe (1:116/17)
To: All
Date: Sat, 20.06.20 17:04
Re: Latest Version
-=> Joe Schweier wrote to Robert Wolfe <=-

JS> I I have put a lot of money into WINS, for the most part it does
JS> everythig I want it to do. Anyway, I'm at a stand still until I get my
JS> new install disk

Yeah, it's the money thing which is part of why I stick with WINServer
for the most part for the main BBS. That, and these ease of writing
mods in wcCODE for it Smile

JS> I love Mystic but when I have an issue with it it ends up sucking the
JS> life right out of me. I'll get a WINS system up and running and I'm
JS> not going to explore other options....

Understandable. I must admit, however, that Mystic has features that I
really wish WINServer had it in -- it would be nice if they would also
combine PX/WINS and WINS into one product. Would make things simpler in
some ways.

From: Robert Wolfe (1:116/17)
To: All
Date: Sat, 20.06.20 17:05
Re: Latest Version
-=> Jeff Smith wrote to Rick Smith <=-

JS> I ran WC back in the DOS days and stayed with WC/Wins up until Wins 5.
JS> Once Hector bought WC I couldn't tolerate Hector's attitude and moved
JS> on.

Yeah, fortunately I think a little bit of this has changed, though.
Possibly even for the better.

... Listen in total darkness, very quietly

From: Robert Wolfe (1:116/17)
To: All
Date: Fri, 26.06.20 10:49
Re: Latest Version
-=> Joe Schweier wrote to Robert Wolfe <=-

JS> As I see it Hector is spending little to no time on the tenet/BBS side
JS> much anymore. All of his time on the commercial aspects of it. I'm
JS> not sure if he'll ever address any of the hobbiest issues any time
JS> soom.

I am sure that you are I are not the only ones seeing it this way.

... 2 + 2 = 5 for extremely large values of 2.