Fidonet Portal

From: Charles Stephenson (1:226/17)
To: n/a
Date: Thu, 28.05.20 22:35
Maximus for Linux?
Hello all,

I've seen the Maximus source floating around. I'm not a programmer. I was
wondering if anyone compiled it under Linux, or if that source could be
compiled under linux?

Thanks
--- SBBSecho 3.11-Linux
* Origin: The New Frontier ][ BBS [frontierbbs.net:23] - OH (1:226/17)

From: Alan Ianson (1:153/757.3)
To: n/a
Date: Thu, 28.05.20 20:48
Re: Maximus for Linux?
Charles Stephenson wrote to All:

CS> I've seen the Maximus source floating around. I'm not a programmer. I was
CS> wondering if anyone compiled it under Linux, or if that source could be
CS> compiled under linux?

I did build Maximus under linux shortly after the souece was released, I
think I did that around 2005. It did build at the time but it wasn't a
simple process and I'm not sure it will build easily today.

Maximus is a dial-up BBS package, there is no telnet or any internet servers
built into it. I was able to run Max following the instructions that came with
the source using inetd answering with telnet.. one node at a time. I never
worked out how to get it to answer a second time or get more than one node
going at a time but I think that is doable with a little (or a lot of) work.

Squish built fine. There was some visual glitch and I don't remember what it
was but it seemed to work as I remember it working under DOS and OS/2.

It was not possible to use mex under linux. I forget if mex scripts wouldn't
compile or if they wouldn't run but mex was not working when I tried it. It's
possible that could be fixed if someone with the skills worked on the code but
I don't know if that has or will happen.

Ttyl Smile,
Al

... At a store: In God we trust; all others pay cash.

--- MBSE BBS v1.0.7.15 (GNU/Linux-x86_64)
* Origin: The Rusty MailBox - Penticton, BC Canada (1:153/757.3)

From: Charles Stephenson (1:226/17)
To: n/a
Date: Wed, 10.06.20 03:39
Re: Maximus for Linux?
Re: Re: Maximus for Linux?
By: Alan Ianson to Charles Stephenson on Thu May 28 2020 06:48 pm

AI> Maximus is a dial-up BBS package, there is no telnet or any internet
AI> servers built into it. I was able to run Max following the instructions
AI> that came with the source using inetd answering with telnet.. one node at
AI> a time. I never worked out how to get it to answer a second time or get
AI> more than one node going at a time but I think that is doable with a
AI> little (or a lot of) work.

I had an idea to run maximus as a door, I think there was something like that
built into the old program. Would have been nice.

AI> It was not possible to use mex under linux. I forget if mex scripts
AI> wouldn't compile or if they wouldn't run but mex was not working when I
AI> tried it. It's possible that could be fixed if someone with the skills
AI> worked on the code but I don't know if that has or will happen.

It would be sad to see such a wonderful and inovative program at the time. It
was so simple and awesome at the same time. Sad

From: Erich B. (1:103/705)
To: n/a
Date: Mon, 31.08.20 10:49
Re: Maximus for Linux?
> Charles Stephenson wrote to All:

> I did build Maximus under linux shortly after the souece was released, I
> think I did that around 2005. It did build at the time but it wasn't a
> simple process and I'm not sure it will build easily today.

> Maximus is a dial-up BBS package, there is no telnet or any internet servers
> built into it. I was able to run Max following the instructions that came
> with the source using inetd answering with telnet.. one node at a time. I
> never worked out how to get it to answer a second time or get more than one
> node going at a time but I think that is doable with a little (or a lot of)
> work.

> Squish built fine. There was some visual glitch and I don't remember what it
> was but it seemed to work as I remember it working under DOS and OS/2.

> It was not possible to use mex under linux. I forget if mex scripts wouldn't
> compile or if they wouldn't run but mex was not working when I tried it. It's
> possible that could be fixed if someone with the skills worked on the code
> but I don't know if that has or will happen.

> Ttyl Smile,
> Al

> ... At a store: In God we trust; all others pay cash.

> --- MBSE BBS v1.0.7.15 (GNU/Linux-x86_64)
> * Origin: The Rusty MailBox - Penticton, BC Canada (1:153/757.3)

I don’t think MAX has been developed since 2005. It needs a rewrite to update
to 2020. It’s really behind.

$ The Millionaire $

..."Will we ever fear the ecstasy of free thought?" - Thinkman...
--- SBBSecho 3.11-Linux
* Origin: Vertrauen - [vert/cvs/bbs].synchro.net (1:103/705)

From: Alan Ianson (1:153/757.2)
To: n/a
Date: Mon, 31.08.20 17:18
Re: Maximus for Linux?
>I don? ?t think MAX has been developed since 2005. It needs a rewrite to updat
> to 2020. It? ?s really behind.

Behind what?

Maximus was way ahead of it's time when it was released back around '95.

Lanius released the source so others can pick it up and develop it further if
that's what they want to do.

I don't know but I don't think a lot of folks care to develop BBS software
today so we don't have the large pool of developers we once did.

If you want a currently developed BBS software there are a few. Synchronet,
Mystic, MagickaBBS and ENiGMA come quickly to mind and there are others I'm
sure.

There are still a couple Maximus BBSs running out there..

--- BBBS/Li6 v4.10 Toy-4

From: Erich B. (1:103/705)
To: n/a
Date: Mon, 31.08.20 17:29
Re: Maximus for Linux?
> Behind what?

> Maximus was way ahead of it's time when it was released back around '95.

> Lanius released the source so others can pick it up and develop it further if
> that's what they want to do.

> I don't know but I don't think a lot of folks care to develop BBS software
> today so we don't have the large pool of developers we once did.

> If you want a currently developed BBS software there are a few. Synchronet,
> Mystic, MagickaBBS and ENiGMA come quickly to mind and there are others I'm
> sure.

> There are still a couple Maximus BBSs running out there..

> --- BBBS/Li6 v4.10 Toy-4
> * Origin: The Rusty MailBox - Penticton, BC Canada (1:153/757.2)

Well you said you had problems getting MAX to work properly.

From: Alan Ianson (1:153/757.2)
To: n/a
Date: Mon, 31.08.20 17:46
Re: Maximus for Linux?
> Well you said you had problems getting MAX to work properly.

That was under linux. Maximus still runs as always on the platforms it was
originally built for DOS, OS/2 and Windows.

--- BBBS/Li6 v4.10 Toy-4

From: Sean Dennis (1:18/200)
To: n/a
Date: Thu, 03.09.20 14:21
Re: Maximus for Linux?
RS> I got it running just fine in OS2 I just couldnt get os2 to
RS> answer and pass telnet connections to Maximus unfortunately
RS> or I would run it for sure.

What version of OS/2 and SIO were you trying to do this with? I have run
Maximus/2 3.01 for a very long time under OS/2 Warp 4.52, eComStation, and now
ArcaOS with a minimum of issues.

Thanks,
Sean

___ MultiMail/Linux v0.52

--- Maximus/2 3.01
* Origin: Outpost BBS * bbs.outpostbbs.net:10123 (1:18/200)