Fidonet Portal

From: Ardith Hinton (1:153/716)
To: All
Date: Fri, 27.07.12 18:42
And/From... 2.
Hi again, Roy! This is a continuation of a previous message to you:

RW> Both your and my versions are correct...

ml> and mine is short enough to make a tagline from ;)

When I checked on the original exchange between you & Mark, I noticed
you had concluded a statement of opinion with an ellipsis. I often do the same
as an indication that my ideas are not set in stone & that I am open to further
input. Mark accepted the challenge & completed the sentence (more or less). I
agree, however, that while the use of "and" or "but" to begin a sentence may be
common in informal speech it is not generally recommended. Smile

ml> we don't know where they came up with that line from...

RW> There's that 'from' again.

Yes... and it's redundant there because Mark could have expressed the
same idea without adding "from".

I see some justification for this usage in

mine is short enough to make a tagline from

because the tagline was a work-in-progress, to which three people were offering
various contributions. I see some justification for it in, e.g.,

I'm from Vancouver, Canada... where are you from?

Winston Churchill is alleged to have made a comment along the lines of "Up with
this [nonsense] I will not put!" in response to someone who tried to improve on
his use of English. IMHO he knew exactly what he was doing, and he did it very
well. The other day, however, I ran across an article in THE VANCOUVER COURIER
which said:

But times have changed and so have the countries
from which immigrants to Canada come from.

Maybe the author tried to change horses in mid-stream... I don't know. I think
people tend to add a superfluous "from" at the end of a sentence because by the
time they get there they've forgotten what they said earlier. It is acceptable
in informal speech to end a sentence with a preposition... sometimes. That was
the point Churchill was trying to make. But sometimes it's safer to follow the
traditional "rules" of formal grammar as they were presented at school.... ;-)

--- timEd/386 1.10.y2k+
* Origin: Wits' End, Vancouver CANADA (1:153/716)