Fidonet Portal

From: Roy Witt (1:387/22)
To: All
Date: Wed, 11.07.12 08:34
And/From... 1.
08 Jul 12 00:46, Ardith Hinton wrote to Roy Witt:

AH> Hi, Roy! Recently you wrote in a message to mark lewis:

ml>> and mine is short enough to make a tagline from ;)

RW>> and? from?

AH> Good questions, IMHO. Read on.... Smile

RW>> There's also an English grammar rule about using an idiom
RW>> at the beginning of a sentence and/or a preposition at the
RW>> end of a sentence.

AH> When you & I went to school it was frowned upon to begin
AH> a sentence with a co-ordinating conjunction such as "and" or "but"
AH> although the writers of magazine ads did.

It was noted in my 9th grade English class that newspapers were the
foremost offender of conjunction syndrome in their reporting.

AH> It was frowned upon to say "It's me" although other kids our own age
AH> did. It was frowned upon to say "Where are you from?" although you
AH> may have recognized it as a pickup line at the local tavern shortly
AH> thereafter.

I remember those days.

AH> No doubt many students wondered what planet their
AH> teachers were on. Chances are these students knew how to speak
AH> colloquial English before entering school, however, and it was the
AH> teacher's duty to drag them kicking & screaming to the next level by
AH> modelling formal usage. That was the situation in Canada, at any
AH> rate... as seen from the other side of the desk later. ;-)

That was also the case in the states, although it has gone the way of the
dodo bird in more recent times. I also got the reprimand from my father
when I began to use what he termed as "Chicagoisms" such as dis, dat and
many other words.

AH> In Fidonet, people tend to use informal language because
AH> we're all in effect members of the same club. That's what I'm doing
AH> when I say "Hi, Roy" rather than "Hello, Mr. Witt". That's what I'm
AH> doing when I use metaphors such as the one in the first sentence of
AH> the previous paragraph... remembering how I enjoyed learning about
AH> the equivalent (for example) of "put that in your pipe & smoke it" in
AH> French, I understand why some of our readers from the ex-USSR have
AH> made a point of encouraging native speakers of English to use them
AH> freely. The "rules" WRT formal & informal usage are a bit different
AH> at times. I think your query about the use of "from" here involves
AH> more than just word order, however. As I was about to post this reply
AH> I noticed you'd found another example... I'll continue the discussion
AH> later with more detail about "from" in particular.
AH> Smile

Cool. I'm always up for another session of English 101. (I hope the
Russians know what 'cool' means in American colloquial English)

R\%/itt

... besides, IMNSHO, Ward Dossche should resign as ZC2 and surrender his
... net node-number to the ZCC ! - Cato the Elder -

... Reminder:

... On Friday September 8th 2006, Mike Godwin's 16 year experiment was
... concluded and Godwin's Law was officially repealed by a popular vote
... among millions of individuals.

... http://repealgodwin.tripod.com/

--- Twit(t) Filter v2.1 (C) 2000-10
* Origin: Roiz Flying \A/ Service * South Texas * USA * (1:387/22)

From: alexander koryagin (2:5020/2140.91)
To: All
Date: Tue, 17.07.12 00:12
Re: And/From... 1.
AH> relate to what I'm trying to say). I learned to talk one way at
AH> school & another way at home. I didn't like it when I had to go home
AH> before everybody else did & they weren't available for some time after
AH> I had finished eating. OTOH, when I was expected to teach
AH> PYGMALION/MY FAIR LADY I found it right up my alley.... Smile

RW>> Cool. I'm always up for another session of English 101.

AH> Glad to hear it! You ask, I'll answer... or at least try
AH> to. Smile

RW>> (I hope the Russians know what 'cool' means in American
RW>> colloquial English)

AH> The younger ones certainly do... and I think the others
AH> will catch on quickly, if they haven't already. With 300,000,000+
AH> people & a flourishing trade in books, movies, etc. the US takes up a
AH> lot of bandwidth nowadays. Smile

Besides, "cool" has some relation to a Russian idiom.
You say "He looks cool." In reality "cool" came from the idiom "cool as a
cucumber."
In Russia we say, "He looks like a (nice) cucumber." And we probably also don't
know the origin. ;-)

Best regards - alexander
* Origin: Cool (2:5020/2140.91)