Fidonet Portal

From: Grant Taylor (1:396/4)
To: All
Date: Sat, 28.03.20 23:59
bbs?
From: Grant Taylor

Hello SYSOPs,

We have been having a discussion about BBS network technologies in
comp.os.linux.networking and I think we could use some help /
clarification / guidance.

We are discussing what protocols were used between BBSs and what
networks they formed.

I'm aware of the obvious big player, FidoNet (proper), and that there
were other networks that used FidoNet Technology (FTN).

I think that there were other BBS centric protocols other than FTN that
were used. But I have no idea what they might be.

There was also UUCP, which until recently, I thought that most BBSs
tended to not use. I only recently had someone tell me that UUCP was
the predominant protocol in his BBS community. Though he was in a Unix
BBS community, where it makes sense that UUCP would be available and
probably the default.

Do you have any input that you would like to share with people that know
less about BBSs?

--
Grant. . . .
unix || die