Fidonet Portal

From: Paul Rogers (1:105/360)
To: All
Date: Sun, 10.12.06 00:45
The Weather
MM> The media is full of global warmth, but all this unseasonal
MM> weather seems to be generally accepted without comment...
MM> Are we alone in that down here, or is your local weather out of
MM> sorts, too ?

Portland just had the wettest November on record, which probably
doesn't mean much unless you're familiar with this part of the
states. But we have it on the good authority of the Republican
Party and President Bush that this is just normal fluctuations,
not anything to do with any crackpot ideas like global warming.

Paul Rogers, paulgrogers@yahoo.com -o)
http://www.angelfire.com/or/paulrogers /\\
Rogers' Second Law: Everything you do communicates. _\_V

... "Renewable"? OK. Next crop is due in...oh, 500 years.
___ MultiMail/MS-DOS v0.35

---
* Origin: The Bare Bones BBS (1:105/360)

From: Miles Maxted (3:772/1)
To: All
Date: Mon, 11.12.06 08:30
Re: The Weather
G'morning Paul,

PR> Portland just had the wettest November on record, which probably
PR> doesn't mean much unless you're familiar with this part of the
PR> states. But we have it on the good authority of the Republican
PR> Party and President Bush that this is just normal fluctuations,
PR> not anything to do with any crackpot ideas like global warming.

So these people have evidence of wetter outliers NOT on the public
record ? (The Flood excepted, please...Wink

Come to think of it, this year in Auckland we've already had the
coldest, sunniest and wettest months `since records began' and
still have two months to report on....

Oh boy...

Miles.
___ MultiMail/Win32 v0.47

--- Maximus/2 3.01
* Origin: === Maxie BBS. Ak, NZ +64 9 444-0989 === (3:772/1)

From: DAVID WILLIAMS (1:250/514)
To: All
Date: Mon, 11.12.06 11:14
Re: The Weather
-> So these people have evidence of wetter outliers NOT on the public
-> record ? (The Flood excepted, please...Wink

Have you heard about the ~5000 year old crater that has recently been
discovered on the floor of the Indian Ocean? It is thought that a comet
landed there, setting off the mother of all tsunamis, which left piles
of debris that can still be seen, and that, for months after the impact,
ocean water boiled furiously there, putting enough steam into the
atmosphere to cause almost continuous rain all over the world.

I doubt that your current wet spell can match that!

dow
* Origin: The Bayman BBS,Toronto, (416)698-6573 - 1:250/514 (1:250/514)

From: DAVID WILLIAMS (1:250/514)
To: All
Date: Tue, 12.12.06 23:03
Re: The Weather
-> Karakatoa was just a cracker ?

Yes. Compared with the "supervolcanoes", such as the one that simmers
under Yellowstone Park, in the U.S, Krakatoa was nothing. When the
Yellowstone one goes off, it will blanket North America under thick
ash. Fortunately, there's no reason to expect that soon.

-> True - but I discovered the way to install instant summer ... have
-> a prize-giving ! Having to appear on stage as a governor for the
-> local Intermediate (junior high ?Wink in a suit did the trick; clear
-> skies, 10 degree climb in temperature, fainting pupils, dried up
-> throats - the complete bit...

-> Now we're back to heavy clouds, forecast rain and gales as I put
-> the heavy gear away again.

A few days ago, a snowstorm was forecast here, so I had my snow-tires
put on my car. The snowstorm didn't materialize. Instead, we're having
unseasonably warm weather, close to 10C, sunshine, green grass, etc..
I'm going to keep the snow-tires on till May. We should have a very
mild winter.

From: Miles Maxted (3:772/1)
To: All
Date: Wed, 13.12.06 10:16
Re: The Weather
G'morning David,

From: Miles Maxted (3:772/1)
To: All
Date: Wed, 13.12.06 10:24
Re: The Weather
G'morning Paul,

PQ> We've returned to the normal pattern for this time of year:
PQ> warm-ish and sometimes wet days with comfortable nights
PQ> (though one town out 'past the black stump' posted a -
PQ> minimum- of 33C a week ago). All this will change from
PQ> about 00:01 01/01/2007, when we move on to the usual summer
PQ> fare: stinking ho-double-t days and nights best spent
PQ> around the pool till 23:00.

You'll be pleased to hear that your bush fires have coloured our
moon dull pink last night - some 1400 miles eastwards... no wonder
you wanted our firefighters so badly. The news this morning is
that Tasmania has also been plagued with outbursts - and this on
top of the worst drought for yonks... wish we could redirect our
rain your way.

PQ> We did have some very, very cool weather about a month ago
PQ> with some isolated areas southwest of here posting new 100-
PQ> year records for the coolest temps so late in spring. One
PQ> town, Stanthorpe (-aka Applethorpe) had real snow for the
PQ> first time in over 40 years. The southern states were
PQ> blasted by sleet and snow at the same time, but such is
PQ> their usual fare during the late winter months in any case
PQ> and went largely unnoticed.

Out of kilter - and never where the water is really needed...

From: DAVID WILLIAMS (1:250/514)
To: All
Date: Wed, 13.12.06 21:45
Re: The Weather
-> I put tire chains in the boot when travelling south over the
-> Desert Road in winter but have yet to put them on; how do your
-> snow treads differ from off-road treads ? Noisy on macadam ?
-> Imprecise steering ?

Really good snow tires have metal studs, but they're not allowed here
because they tear up the roads too much. So what we use here are tires
with big, chunky treads, with lots of wide grooves that go transversely
across the tire, so they bite into the snow. The rubber is made to have
a high hysteresis, which gives it some grip even on very slippery
surfaces. Yes. they are noisier than summer tires, and they reduce the
car's performance and make it use more gas. I haven't noticed any
effect on the steering, except that there is less tendency to slide
sideways on ice. In wintertime, the pros greatly outweigh the cons. In
summer, the reverse is true, so we switch back to regular tires. Some
people have a complete spare set of wheels, and just swap them. I
don't, so I have to get a garage to dismount one set of tires and mount
the other.

From: Miles Maxted (3:772/1)
To: All
Date: Thu, 14.12.06 12:20
Re: The Weather
G'morning David,

DW> Yes. Compared with the "supervolcanoes", such as the one that simmers
DW> under Yellowstone Park, in the U.S, Krakatoa was nothing. When the
DW> Yellowstone one goes off, it will blanket North America under thick
DW> ash. Fortunately, there's no reason to expect that soon.

Mmmm... they say that when Lake Taupo here last cleared its
throat, ash was spread over the east of Australia and that Roman
records had a visibly dimished summer for Italy ... I was
particularly cheered to hear one vulcanologist say that he wanted
to witness the next Taupo eruption -- from Australia.

From: Miles Maxted (3:772/1)
To: All
Date: Thu, 14.12.06 12:28
Re: The Weather
G'morning Paul,

PQ> That's just the southern states. Such is not a problem in Queensland,
PQ> yet, but due to the on-going drought it would practically double
PQ> the damage when the real bush fire season gets going here.

The news had your fire-crews going to the outbreaks, too - and
some American teams are flying in to bolster forces.

PQ> Maybe... if you could tow some of them icebergs over here, it might
PQ> help. ;-)

There's quite a popular support for doing just that, but I
suspect the melt-rate, the costs of towage and then of convertion
might make it quite impractical.

Beside which, we don't have an Air Force that's capable of lifting
even the smaller bits for bombing those fires; our Government
sold it all off.

From: Paul Quinn (3:640/384)
To: All
Date: Thu, 14.12.06 14:56
Re: The Weather
Hi! Miles,

On Thu, 14 Dec 06, you wrote to me:

PQ>> Maybe... if you could tow some of them icebergs over here, it
PQ>> might help. ;-)
MM> There's quite a popular support for doing just that, but I
MM> suspect the melt-rate, the costs of towage and then of convertion
MM> might make it quite impractical.

Probably. There's just too much mass to get/keep moving, and there would be a
constant loss of content during transport.

The notion reminds me of a monumental April Fools jest perpetrated by the
combined media in Brisbane, in the early 70s I think it was. The day started
with newspapers headlining the story of a huge iceberg being floated up the
east coast, headed for Brisbane. There were follow-up bulletins on the radio,
with updates on the movement. (I can't recall if the TV stations were in on it
- it was a work day, besides.Wink Anyhow, a lot of people were 'sucked in' on the
story (me included) till the truth was revealed. Bastards! ;-)

MM> Beside which, we don't have an Air Force that's capable of lifting
MM> even the smaller bits for bombing those fires; our Government
MM> sold it all off.

Them's the breaks. Mind you, it's a capability that any Defence Force doesn't
normally have a need for. Now, it would be a natural capability for
'International Rescue', though... =:)

Cheers,
Paul.

--- Radius 4.010/21.01.2005(Final)
* Origin: Any day spent above ground is a good one. (3:640/384)

From: Miles Maxted (3:772/1)
To: All
Date: Fri, 15.12.06 08:25
Re: The Weather
G'morning Paul,

PQ> The notion reminds me of a monumental April Fools jest
PQ> perpetrated by the combined media in Brisbane, in the early
PQ> 70s I think it was.

Auckland's classic came from the DJ of the day, Phil Shone, who
used 1 April to warn of a huge bee swarm, 1.5 miles long,
descending on the city - and had people sealing their homes with
sticky paper, laying in water and food for a siege and similar
side effects. The bureaucrats suspended him for a year for the
deed...

PQ> Them's the breaks. Mind you, it's a capability that any
PQ> Defence Force doesn't normally have a need for. Now, it
PQ> would be a natural capability for 'International Rescue',
PQ> though... =:)

Ah me ... so what manner of Rescue vehicle might Brains invent to
deliver real firestorm-quenching gunk ? I still enjoy a good
session of their model-making action....

From: Miles Maxted (3:772/1)
To: All
Date: Fri, 15.12.06 08:33
Re: The Weather
G'morning David,

DW> Really good snow tires have metal studs, but they're not allowed here
DW> because they tear up the roads too much. So what we use here are tires
DW> with big, chunky treads, with lots of wide grooves that go transversely
DW> across the tire, so they bite into the snow. The rubber is made to have
DW> a high hysteresis, which gives it some grip even on very slippery
DW> surfaces. Yes. they are noisier than summer tires, and they reduce the
DW> car's performance and make it use more gas. I haven't noticed any
DW> effect on the steering, except that there is less tendency to slide
DW> sideways on ice. In wintertime, the pros greatly outweigh the cons. In
DW> summer, the reverse is true, so we switch back to regular tires. Some
DW> people have a complete spare set of wheels, and just swap them. I
DW> don't, so I have to get a garage to dismount one set of tires and mount
DW> the other.

My only experience with these sorts of wheels comes from Army
vehicles permanently equipped with cross-country tires - very
noisy, running costs no worry - and hard to keep on line when road
motoring. The best of those vehicles was undoubtedly a Ferret
scout car - 4WD energised by a V12 Daimler motor and carrying a
neat sporting body fashioned in 1/2 inch armour steel. Could be
driven from either end, with a manual 5 speed box forward or aft
... but very noisy and rough....(sighs for old excitements)

From: Miles Maxted (3:772/1)
To: All
Date: Fri, 15.12.06 08:50
Re: The Weather
G'morning Paul,

PQ> There's something about Brisbane's geography that allows
PQ> for such a thing, for about 2-3 months each year.

Mmmm ... I'll never forget being driven into the City from the
airport in 1982 and thinking I was back in blitzed London... a
freakish hailstorm had holed windows, roofs, signs and fences all
the way into town.

I spent 5 weeks working up in Toowoomba and came back to the city
for a conference - in the middle of a major power outage in hot
weather. The Gateway hotel solved the air conditioning problem by
closing the lifts, leaving the doors open and creating a howling
chimney that rocketed cooler air around the corridors.

And there was a lovely story about the angry outback farmer who'd
fired up his enormous generator when the power failed ... and
discovered after the emergency that he'd actually kept the
neighbourhood electrified because his system hadn't disconnected
from the grid as it was supposed to.

From: Miles Maxted (3:772/1)
To: All
Date: Sun, 17.12.06 09:35
Re: The Weather
G'morning Paul,

PQ> Are you kidding?!? Thrust vectoring alone from either
PQ> Thunderbird 1 or 2 ought to be enough to force any
PQ> firestorm back on itself! Ermm, how about capturing a
PQ> comet, then? ;-)

They'd need to slow it down a tad...

PQ> I didn't care much for the recent movie; too much like
PQ> kiddie/cartoon style. The original was more of a serious
PQ> nature, used as the budget (for any similar series)
PQ> couldn't allow for the required full-scale production
PQ> 'effects'. CGI didn't exist in the 60s.

Not sighted, thank heavens. The whole point of Anderson's
animations was it's realisation of the future of modelling as
portrayed in the pages of Aeromodeller and the ilk - not how
clever some geek can be with pixels....