Fidonet Portal

From: metalhead (1:229/101)
To: All
Date: Fri, 13.03.20 13:37
Fidonet Beginner
I've been a BBS sysop on and off for the past 30 years. One thing that I've
never accomplished is setting up a message network such as Fidonet.

I'm using Mystic BBS, which appears to make the whole process easier than in
the old days, and I'm in the middle of reading the Fido policy4 file.

So, I want to "obtain a current nodelist" so that I can send mail (my request
to join) but where can I find the nodelist? I checked the Fidonet website,
and it has "Nodelist History Lookup," but I don't know what to type in there,
I tried a few sysop real names that I know of, but it doesn't find them.

If anyone feels like sharing advice on this with me, please do, and thank you!

--- Mystic BBS v1.12 A45 2020/02/18 (Linux/64)
* Origin: % disksh0p!bbs % bbs.diskshop.ca % SciNet ftn hq % (1:229/101)

From: Netsurge (1:229/101)
To: All
Date: Fri, 13.03.20 14:41
Re: Fidonet Beginner
me> So, I want to "obtain a current nodelist" so that I can send mail (my
me> request to join) but where can I find the nodelist? I checked the
me> Fidonet website, and it has "Nodelist History Lookup," but I don't know
me> what to type in there, I tried a few sysop real names that I know of,
me> but it doesn't find them.

Most Fidonet member systems carry the fileecho that distributes it. I have it
up on my system, feel free to login and download it. You can also grab it
from filegate.net. I think the file echo is called NODELIST.

From: Aaron Thomas (1:229/426)
To: All
Date: Sat, 14.03.20 11:33
Re: Fidonet Beginner
N> me> So, I want to "obtain a current nodelist" so that I can send mail (my

N> from filegate.net. I think the file echo is called NODELIST.

Thanks!

--- Renegade vY2Ka2

From: Don Lowery (1:340/1000)
To: All
Date: Sat, 14.03.20 18:08
Re: Fidonet Beginner
me> So, I want to "obtain a current nodelist" so that I can send mail (my
me> request to join) but where can I find the nodelist? I checked the
me> Fidonet website, and it has "Nodelist History Lookup," but I don't know
me> what to type in there, I tried a few sysop real names that I know of,
me> but it doesn't find them.

Feel free to come over here to get a current nodelist from my file base. Just
log on/off & get back on a while later to let me update your access. Let me
know you run a board & will update you to visiting sysop level. I have no
ratios & knock yourself out if you find something else.

Others in FidoNet should also have the current nodelist available.

ACME BBS-Member of fsxNet/WWIVNet/SciNet/AmigaNet/VKRadio/FidoNet/MicroNet.

* Origin: ACME BBS-W.Coyote & D.Brown are our best users. (1:340/1000)

From: metalhead (1:229/101)
To: All
Date: Sun, 15.03.20 12:34
Re: Fidonet Beginner
DL> Feel free to come over here to get a current nodelist from my file base.

Thank you, I appreciate it. I managed to get the nodelist, and now I'm trying
to figure out how to send netmail from my Mystic BBS to do my node request.

From: Don Lowery (1:340/1000)
To: All
Date: Mon, 16.03.20 00:08
Re: Fidonet Beginner
me> DL> Feel free to come over here to get a current nodelist from my file ba
me> Thank you, I appreciate it. I managed to get the nodelist, and now I'm
me> trying to figure out how to send netmail from my Mystic BBS to do my
me> node request.

Set up your node as *:*/999...compile your nodelist to get the info you need
into Mystic with MUTIL...information listed where the nodelist is located in
I believe MAILIN.INI. Any time we see a 999 listed...just means someone got
it configured...but doesn't have a node number yet.

From: Aaron Thomas (1:229/426)
To: All
Date: Mon, 16.03.20 14:52
Re: Fidonet Beginner
DL> Set up your node as *:*/999...compile your nodelist to get the info you nee

Thanks very much Don!

I appreicate these details. I will work on this and see how it goes...

--- Renegade vY2Ka2

From: Don Lowery (1:340/1000)
To: All
Date: Tue, 17.03.20 01:57
Re: Fidonet Beginner
AT> DL> Set up your node as *:*/999...compile your nodelist to get the info yo
AT> Thanks very much Don!
AT> I appreicate these details. I will work on this and see how it goes...

Fantastic!!!

We're here to help each other. Was into this 30+ years ago...but am so happy
it's still hanging around...even if it's a smaller version than what was here
back in the "golden" area.

From: Aaron Thomas (1:229/426)
To: All
Date: Wed, 18.03.20 01:45
Re: Fidonet Beginner
DL> We're here to help each other. Was into this 30+ years ago...but am so happ

Thanks Don!

I sent my node request, although I might have done it without having my
configuration correct. Should I give it 2 weeks before trying it again with
proper settings? I also forgot to include "I agree to the policy" in the
statement. Big oops!

--- Renegade vY2Ka2

From: Don Lowery (1:340/1000)
To: All
Date: Wed, 18.03.20 05:41
Re: Fidonet Beginner
AT> I sent my node request, although I might have done it without having my
AT> configuration correct. Should I give it 2 weeks before trying it again
AT> with proper settings? I also forgot to include "I agree to the policy"
AT> in the statement. Big oops!

Actually...I did mine thru a website which took 3 weeks for the coordinator
to get back to me. Even then...had/still don't know his configuration & was
never able to get a straight answer from him what this information was. Went
with Paul out of New Zealand & never looked back. Since he already had me set
up in fsxNet...was a no brainer on how to set it up on either end.

I wouldn't sweat it too much about the agreement. If they need it...they will
get in touch with you about it.

From: Aaron Thomas (1:229/426)
To: All
Date: Wed, 18.03.20 13:22
Re: Fidonet Beginner
DL> I wouldn't sweat it too much about the agreement. If they need it...they wi
DL> get in touch with you about it.

Thank you!

--- Renegade vY2Ka2

From: Don Lowery (1:340/1000)
To: All
Date: Thu, 19.03.20 15:37
Re: Fidonet Beginner
AT> DL> I wouldn't sweat it too much about the agreement. If they need it...th
AT> DL> get in touch with you about it.
AT> Thank you!

NP at all. As my boss at work says that I make him feel guilty sweating like
crazy because I'm working. I work...but there is no circulation of air & the
heater is still on. This being the case...I will sweat standing up. ;)

No need to worry about this at all. Many of the sysops on the othernets are
more than happy to help you with your feed.

From: Aaron Thomas (1:229/426)
To: All
Date: Sat, 21.03.20 10:30
Re: Fidonet Beginner
DL> NP at all. As my boss at work says that I make him feel guilty sweating lik

I'm a sweater too! I was cleaning this lady's office in the middle of my busy
day, and she was like "here's a tissue to dry yourself off!"

It would take like 6 boxes of tissues to dry me off when I'm in that mode.

Regarding the fido app, how do regional coordinators typically respond? By
voice call? I think that's the only contact info I gave them - unless they
want to log on to my BBS.

--- Renegade vY2Ka2

From: Nick Andre (1:229/426)
To: All
Date: Sat, 21.03.20 10:40
Re: Fidonet Beginner
On 13 Mar 20 12:37:56, Metalhead said the following to All:

M> So, I want to "obtain a current nodelist" so that I can send mail (my reques
M> to join) but where can I find the nodelist? I checked the Fidonet website,
M> and it has "Nodelist History Lookup," but I don't know what to type in there
M> I tried a few sysop real names that I know of, but it doesn't find them.

Dude... you call my board all the time.

You can get all your Fido stuff directly from me. I publish the nodelist.

Nick

--- Renegade vY2Ka2

From: Don Lowery (1:340/1000)
To: All
Date: Sat, 21.03.20 09:47
Re: Fidonet Beginner
AT> DL> NP at all. As my boss at work says that I make him feel guilty sweatin
AT> I'm a sweater too! I was cleaning this lady's office in the middle of my
AT> busy day, and she was like "here's a tissue to dry yourself off!"

Problem is they have the heater going with no circulation. Usually...just
keep a piece of paper towel in my pocket.

AT> Regarding the fido app, how do regional coordinators typically respond?
AT> By voice call? I think that's the only contact info I gave them - unless
AT> they want to log on to my BBS.

Usually...by email. They have also logged onto my system to make sure it's
there & leave me a message they were doing that. In terms of getting hold of
Paul...would have to find a time for both of us & do it thru Skype. New
Zealand is I believe 16 hours ahead.

From: Aaron Thomas (1:229/426)
To: All
Date: Sun, 22.03.20 00:34
Re: Fidonet Beginner
NA> You can get all your Fido stuff directly from me. I publish the nodelist.

I appreciate it! My BBS is a little crazy though, and might not be
Fido-friendly. I'm waiting to see what they say. Plus, I have very little
experience with echomail. I might not be set up properly yet.

If Fido rejects me, I'll try some other one like Scinet or something.

--- Renegade vY2Ka2

From: Aaron Thomas (1:229/426)
To: All
Date: Sun, 22.03.20 00:38
Re: Fidonet Beginner
DL> there & leave me a message they were doing that. In terms of getting hold o
DL> Paul...would have to find a time for both of us & do it thru Skype. New

Are there any conditions that would make a BBS not get accepted? Like if it
was a warez board or something?

I know who Paul is. Is it Paul's call?

--- Renegade vY2Ka2

From: Netsurge (1:229/101)
To: All
Date: Sun, 22.03.20 01:38
Re: Fidonet Beginner
AT> If Fido rejects me, I'll try some other one like Scinet or something.

You are always welcome to join SciNet, we tend to be more forgiving than
Fidonet yet most of us are Fidonet, lol.

From: Netsurge (1:229/101)
To: All
Date: Sun, 22.03.20 01:39
Re: Fidonet Beginner
AT> Are there any conditions that would make a BBS not get accepted? Like if
AT> it was a warez board or something?
AT>
AT> I know who Paul is. Is it Paul's call?

It isn't anyone's call. You just need to make sure you get all of the
technical setup correct. You might be better off joining another network
where you can get your feet wet.

From: Nick Andre (1:229/426)
To: All
Date: Sun, 22.03.20 01:13
Re: Fidonet Beginner
On 21 Mar 20 23:34, Aaron Thomas said the following to Nick Andre:

AT> I appreciate it! My BBS is a little crazy though, and might not be
AT> Fido-friendly. I'm waiting to see what they say. Plus, I have very little
AT> experience with echomail. I might not be set up properly yet.

I don't give a shit about the BBS. I only give a shit about your mailer.

Nick

--- Renegade vY2Ka2