Fidonet Portal

From: Michiel van der Vlist (2:280/5555)
To: n/a
Date: Tue, 15.08.17 15:00
New one
Hello All,

We have a new one:

55 2:4500/1 Eugene Kozhuhovsky Native DATAHATA6

Congratulations Eugene. Welcome to the Fidonet IPv6 club!

Cheers, Michiel

--- GoldED+/W32-MSVC 1.1.5-b20170303
* Origin: he.net certified sage (2:280/5555)

From: Alexandr Kruglikov (2:5053/58)
To: n/a
Date: Thu, 15.11.18 10:22
Re: New one
Good ${greeting_time}, Tommi!

14 Nov 18 22:12, you wrote to Michiel van der Vlist:

>> Dmitriy welcome to the Fidonet IPv5 club!
TK> New club? ;D

Why not? The protocol exists =)

With best regards, Alexandr.

--- "GoldED+/LNX 1.1.5-b20170303" ---
* Origin: 24 hours in a day, 24 beers in a case, Hmmm... (2:5053/58)

From: Tony Langdon (3:633/410)
To: n/a
Date: Thu, 15.11.18 21:27
Re: New one
-=> On 11-15-18 09:22, Alexandr Kruglikov wrote to Tommi Koivula @TZ: 00f0
AK> Good ${greeting_time}, Tommi!

AK> 14 Nov 18 22:12, you wrote to Michiel van der Vlist:

>> Dmitriy welcome to the Fidonet IPv5 club!
TK> New club? ;D

AK> Why not? The protocol exists =)

Didn't think it ever got out in the wild.

... Counting time is not so important as making time count.
=== MultiMail/Win v0.51
--- SBBSecho 3.03-Linux
* Origin: Freeway BBS Bendigo,Australia freeway.apana.org.au (3:633/410)

From: Alexandr Kruglikov (2:5053/58)
To: n/a
Date: Thu, 15.11.18 15:33
Re: New one
Good ${greeting_time}, Tony!

15 Nov 18 20:27, you wrote to me:

>>> Dmitriy welcome to the Fidonet IPv5 club!
TK>> New club? ;D
AK>> Why not? The protocol exists =)
TL> Didn't think it ever got out in the wild.

As far as I know, no. =)WinkWink
Many of the developments from it went into MPLS

From: Tony Langdon (3:633/410)
To: n/a
Date: Fri, 16.11.18 10:51
Re: New one
-=> On 11-15-18 14:33, Alexandr Kruglikov wrote to Tony Langdon >> Dmitriy welcome to the Fidonet IPv5 club!
TK>> New club? ;D
AK>> Why not? The protocol exists =)
TL> Didn't think it ever got out in the wild.

AK> As far as I know, no. =)WinkWink

Yeah, didn't think so.

AK> Many of the developments from it went into MPLS

Interesting, so parts of IPv5 do live in the wild then. Very Happy

... There is always hope when people are forced to listen to both sides.

From: Ryan Fantus (1:218/820)
To: n/a
Date: Fri, 06.03.20 14:40
Re: New One
Mv> Ryan, welcome to the Fidonet IPv6 club.

Thanks! Happy to be here.

--- Mystic BBS v1.12 A45 2020/02/18 (Linux/64)
* Origin: monterey bbs (1:218/820)

From: Martin List-Petersen (2:263/5)
To: n/a
Date: Thu, 16.04.20 00:01
Re: New one
On 15 Apr 2020, Michiel van der Vlist said the following...
Mv> We have a new one:
Mv>
Mv> 92 2:263/5 Martin List-Petersen Native TuxBox

Thanks ... my BBS days were from about 1992 to 1997. Now rebooted.

My IPv6 days started around 2002 with a 6bone /48 from SUnet.

-M

--- Mystic BBS v1.12 A45 2020/02/18 (Linux/32)
* Origin: The Alien Mindbenders BBS (2:263/5)

From: Tony Langdon (3:633/410)
To: n/a
Date: Thu, 16.04.20 13:47
Re: New one
-=> On 04-15-20 22:01, Martin List-Petersen wrote to Michiel van der Vlist Thanks ... my BBS days were from about 1992 to 1997. Now rebooted.

Similar to me, mine started in 1991, continued in some form until 1998-2001.

ML> My IPv6 days started around 2002 with a 6bone /48 from SUnet.

I was playing with IPv6 around the same time, beating a Linux 2.2 kernel into
submission (that was a lot of fun and games - one of the big bugs being that
the default route didn't work!Wink, and using various tunnels. I wnet native in
2011, just before my ISP officially offered IPv6 to its customers, as they had
an opt in pilot test before then for some time. I had to wait until I
purchased a router that supported IPv6. Been running native IPv6 since.

... Moderator Rule #1: Warnings are for wimps, cut links!
=== MultiMail/Win v0.51
--- SBBSecho 3.10-Linux
* Origin: Freeway BBS Bendigo,Australia freeway.apana.org.au (3:633/410)

From: Martin List-Petersen (2:263/5)
To: n/a
Date: Fri, 17.04.20 04:59
Re: New one
On 16 Apr 2020, Tony Langdon said the following...
TL> I was playing with IPv6 around the same time, beating a Linux 2.2 kernel
TL> into submission (that was a lot of fun and games - one of the big bugs
TL> being that the default route didn't work!Wink, and using various tunnels.

Hah .. ah well .. one could route 2000::/3 or 3ffe::/16 for 6bone. There was
always a way Smile

TL> I wnet native in 2011, just before my ISP officially offered IPv6 to its
TL> customers, as they had an opt in pilot test before then for some time.
TL> I had to wait until I purchased a router that supported IPv6. Been
TL> running native IPv6 since.

See .. I fixed that differently. I came from a telecoms and ISP background.
Worked as technical manager for my first telco '97 and onwards. So in 2006, I
created my own ISP. By 2008 we offered native IPv6 to our residential
customers and were hosting a SixXS PoP on top of that. We were the first and
only ISP in Ireland to offer residential customers IPv6 by default.

I also claim the fame (infamious) to have been allocated the first PIv6
allocation in the RIPE region. I literally submitted my application during
the meeting at RIPE, when the policy was passed Smile It was a step backwards in
IPv6 thinking, but a step forward to bring entities onto IPv6.

From: Tony Langdon (3:633/410)
To: n/a
Date: Fri, 17.04.20 17:50
Re: New one
-=> On 04-17-20 02:59, Martin List-Petersen wrote to Tony Langdon On 16 Apr 2020, Tony Langdon said the following...
TL> I was playing with IPv6 around the same time, beating a Linux 2.2 kernel
TL> into submission (that was a lot of fun and games - one of the big bugs
TL> being that the default route didn't work!Wink, and using various tunnels.

ML> Hah .. ah well .. one could route 2000::/3 or 3ffe::/16 for 6bone.
ML> There was always a way Smile

Yeah, routing 2000::/3 was the way to go, and as you'd suspect, that did work
fine. Smile

ML> See .. I fixed that differently. I came from a telecoms and ISP
ML> background. Worked as technical manager for my first telco '97 and
ML> onwards. So in 2006, I created my own ISP. By 2008 we offered native
ML> IPv6 to our residential customers and were hosting a SixXS PoP on top
ML> of that. We were the first and only ISP in Ireland to offer residential
ML> customers IPv6 by default.

Once my ISP went officially live with native IPv6 in 2011, it was turned on by
default. Smile

ML> I also claim the fame (infamious) to have been allocated the first PIv6
ML> allocation in the RIPE region. I literally submitted my application
ML> during the meeting at RIPE, when the policy was passed Smile It was a step
ML> backwards in IPv6 thinking, but a step forward to bring entities onto
ML> IPv6.

Gotta get in early. Smile

... This is one sick group. I feel that I've finally found my home.
=== MultiMail/Win v0.51
--- SBBSecho 3.10-Linux
* Origin: Freeway BBS Bendigo,Australia freeway.apana.org.au (3:633/410)

From: Martin List-Petersen (2:263/5)
To: n/a
Date: Sat, 18.04.20 20:50
Re: New one
On 17 Apr 2020, Michiel van der Vlist said the following...
Mv> Can you expand on that? What exactly was a step backward and how and why?

IPv6 was designed in a way, that you can multihome the PAv6 allocation you
get from your ISP, so there was no need for PIv6 really.

So, it was initially not implemented, to keep the routing table small. The
IPv4 routing table is a beast these days. With fragmentation and people
buying /24 blocks left right and center, a full IPv4 routing table is now
nearly 800k entries .. and that's with filtering routes