Fidonet Portal

From: Frank Linhares (1:229/100)
To: All
Date: Sun, 21.04.19 02:34
13th Dr.
I am curious at to people's thoughts on the last season of Dr. Who with
Jodie Whitaker.

Personally I thought she brought a breath of fresh air with her quirkness.

frank!netsurge ! hysteriabbs.com ! zeus 1.7 ! amiga 4ooo

--- Zeus BBS 1.5
* Origin: hysteria bbs - hysteriabbs.com - amiga powered (1:229/100.0)

From: deepthaw (1:135/369)
To: All
Date: Wed, 24.04.19 22:00
Re: 13th Dr.
-=> Mike Powell wrote to FRANK LINHARES <=-

> I am curious at to people's thoughts on the last season of Dr. Who with
> Jodie Whitaker.
>
> Personally I thought she brought a breath of fresh air with her quirkness.

MP> A lot of people have been slamming her performance. I think she was
MP> not bad as the Dr. However, I had trouble with the pace of the
MP> episodes and maybe the writing. It was like they spent a lot of time
MP> building up to the resolution and then did not have enough time to
MP> really solve them in a way that I found satisfying. Maybe there were
MP> too many companions to cover?

MP> I felt like they sort of made it up as they went along more than
MP> previous Doctors did.

MP> I also liked her quirkiness. I did not like the one story that the
MP> Daleks were involved in. I could not put my finger on it, but it felt
MP> like it broke continuity somehow. The one with the giant spiders, and
MP> the season opener, were both pretty blah. The two I liked the most
MP> were the one with the mirrorworld, and the one with the witches.

MP> So, I cannot say she was a bad Dr., but I can say it was not my
MP> favorite season. It may even be my least favorite of the "new" series.

MP> Mike

I feel bad - I'm a lifelong fan and I didn't watch the latest season. I got
pretty burned out during Capaldi's last season (even though I loved him as The
Doctor, the show just wasn't keeping me.Wink Plus, the casting of a female Doctor
turned a huge chunk of the fandom so toxic that I lost the urge to watch the
show since online discussions were part of the fun. I'll probably catch up on
it next month or so if I can find the time.
... MultiMail, the new multi-platform, multi-format offline reader!
___ MultiMail/Win v0.51

--- Mystic BBS/QWK v1.12 A43 2019/03/03 (Windows/32)
* Origin: Black Flag <ACiD Telnet HQ> blackflagbbs.com (1:135/369)

From: Frank Linhares (1:229/100)
To: All
Date: Thu, 25.04.19 10:42
Re: 13th Dr.
On Monday April 22, 2019, Mike Powell said to FRANK LINHARES...

MP> A lot of people have been slamming her performance. I think she was
MP> not bad as the Dr. However, I had trouble with the pace of the
MP> episodes and maybe the writing. It was like they spent a lot of time
MP> building up to the resolution and then did not have enough time to
MP> really solve them in a way that I found satisfying. Maybe there were
MP> too many companions to cover?

I thought she was great as a performer. I have enjoyed her in other shows
including Broadchurch which contains a whole host of Dr. Who allums.

MP> I felt like they sort of made it up as they went along more than
MP> previous Doctors did.

New writers are to blame. I much prefered the stuff from the previoud
writing team.

MP> I also liked her quirkiness. I did not like the one story that the
MP> Daleks were involved in. I could not put my finger on it, but it felt
MP> like it broke continuity somehow. The one with the giant spiders, and
MP> the season opener, were both pretty blah. The two I liked the most
MP> were the one with the mirrorworld, and the one with the witches.

MP> So, I cannot say she was a bad Dr., but I can say it was not my
MP> favorite season. It may even be my least favorite of the "new" series.

I don't like the creature of the week style episodes with a smaller long
term arc. They really should go back to a season long arc.

All-in-all, I was happy with her casting and her performace. I would also
like to see the series go a bit darker with their story lines.

frank!netsurge ! hysteriabbs.com ! zeus 1.7 ! amiga 4ooo

--- Zeus BBS 1.5
* Origin: hysteria - amiga 4ooo - hysteriabbs.com (1:229/100.0)

From: Mike Powell (1:2320/105)
To: All
Date: Thu, 25.04.19 18:50
Re: 13th Dr.
> I thought she was great as a performer. I have enjoyed her in other shows
> including Broadchurch which contains a whole host of Dr. Who allums.

I also enjoyed Broadchurch. It was my first time seeing David Tennent
playing someone other than the Doctor. I liked his character in it.

Mike

---
* SLMR 2.1a * Photons have mass? I didn't know they were Catholic...
* Origin: capitolcityonline.net * Telnet/SSH:2022/HTTP (1:2320/105)

From: Mike Powell (1:2320/105)
To: All
Date: Thu, 25.04.19 18:57
Re: 13th Dr.
>I feel bad - I'm a lifelong fan and I didn't watch the latest season. I got
>pretty burned out during Capaldi's last season (even though I loved him as The
>Doctor, the show just wasn't keeping me.Wink Plus, the casting of a female Doctor
>turned a huge chunk of the fandom so toxic that I lost the urge to watch the
>show since online discussions were part of the fun. I'll probably catch up on
>it next month or so if I can find the time.

The last Capaldi season, with Clara gone, was not as good as previous ones.
I wondered if maybe trying to work on that and Sherlock had them burned out
a little bit.

Speaking of Sherlock... I am still hoping we've not seen the last of that
show.

Mike

---
* SLMR 2.1a * Nobody ever forgets where he buried the hatchet.
* Origin: capitolcityonline.net * Telnet/SSH:2022/HTTP (1:2320/105)

From: Ed Vance (1:2320/105)
To: All
Date: Sat, 27.04.19 20:19
Re: 13th Dr.
04-25-19 18:57 Mike Powell wrote to DEEPTHAW about Re: 13th Dr.
Howdy! Mike,

MP> @MSGID: <5CC23B7F.9306.drwho@capitolcityonline.net>
MP> @REPLY: <5CC1230C.9303.drwho@capitolcityonline.net>
>I feel bad - I'm a lifelong fan and I didn't watch the latest season. I got
>pretty burned out during Capaldi's last season (even though I loved him as
he
>Doctor, the show just wasn't keeping me.Wink Plus, the casting of a female
octor
>turned a huge chunk of the fandom so toxic that I lost the urge to watch the
>show since online discussions were part of the fun. I'll probably catch up on
>it next month or so if I can find the time.

MP> The last Capaldi season, with Clara gone, was not as good as previous
MP> ones. I wondered if maybe trying to work on that and Sherlock had them
MP> burned out a little bit.

MP> Speaking of Sherlock... I am still hoping we've not seen the last of
MP> that show.

I watch Over The Air Television, never wanted Cable TV.

I haven't watched a Doctor Who TV Show for ages.

TV Channel 21 used to broadcast the shows but I don't think they do anymore.

The last Doctor I watched was the 7th Doctor.

The other Doctor Who conference on the CCO BBS must be through the internet
instead of BBS Only as this One is (I "think").

I've learned that The Master regenerated to a Female character before
The Doctor did, from reading messages on that other echo.

It makes Me wonder about the Writers, Producers, Directors etc. over in
England.

Those folks must be of the same thoughts as the folks who make the TV Shows
AND Movies in the U.S.A. that I don't / won't watch.

Movies aren't better than ever anymore IMNSHO.
Same for the new stuff on TV.

If I'm not in this room on the computer I watch some shows on ME-TV,
GRIT and a bit more shows.

I'd rather be here in this room with the "All Purpose Machine".

73 de Ed W9ODR . .

... Staring into a dragon's jaws, one quickly learns wisdom.
--- MultiMail/MS-DOS v0.49
* Origin: capitolcityonline.net * Telnet/SSH:2022/HTTP (1:2320/105)

From: Mike Powell (1:2320/105)
To: All
Date: Sun, 28.04.19 09:37
Re: 13th Dr.
> TV Channel 21 used to broadcast the shows but I don't think they do anymore.

The Louisville TV stations have all "reconfigured" their subchannels since
I was paying attention. The other day, I noticed that Ion (which used to
be 21.1) is now one of the 41.somethings. I think Dr. Who was on Retro TV
and I enjoyed watching it when I was in town. Not sure which staion, if
any, carry Retro now.

> The other Doctor Who conference on the CCO BBS must be through the internet
> instead of BBS Only as this One is (I "think").

Maybe I am not 100% sure. Smile

> I've learned that The Master regenerated to a Female character before
> The Doctor did, from reading messages on that other echo.
>
> It makes Me wonder about the Writers, Producers, Directors etc. over in
> England.

Actually, I think that was more for storyline value than anything
"political." The actress who played The Master was pretty good at it. She
is probably my favorite of the three I have seen play that character.

> Movies aren't better than ever anymore IMNSHO.
> Same for the new stuff on TV.
>
> If I'm not in this room on the computer I watch some shows on ME-TV,
> GRIT and a bit more shows.

I have to have cable to get them here, but my favorite networks are
probably Me, Antenna TV, and KET/PBS. I don't watch too many shows which
are not on one of those three. As far as movies go, all but one of my
favories are in black and white and were released before I was born. Smile

Mike

---
* SLMR 2.1a * In Stereo where available. .elbaliava erehw oeretS nI
* Origin: capitolcityonline.net * Telnet/SSH:2022/HTTP (1:2320/105)

From: Ed Vance (1:2320/105)
To: All
Date: Sun, 28.04.19 16:28
Re: 13th Dr.
04-28-19 09:37 Mike Powell wrote to ED VANCE about Re: 13th Dr.
Howdy! Mike,

MP> @MSGID: <5CC5AFC8.9308.drwho@capitolcityonline.net>
MP> @REPLY: <5CC4F1C9.9307.drwho@capitolcityonline.net>
> TV Channel 21 used to broadcast the shows but I don't think they do anymore.

MP> The Louisville TV stations have all "reconfigured" their
MP> subchannels since I was paying attention. The other day, I
MP> noticed that Ion (which used to be 21.1) is now one of the
MP> 41.somethings. I think Dr. Who was on Retro TV and I enjoyed
MP> watching it when I was in town. Not sure which staion, if any,
MP> carry Retro now.

Here are two links for RetroTV

http://www.myretrotv.com/index.php/watch-now/
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Retro_Television_Network_affiliates

Union City, KY is on the map on the watchnow link.

These are for WBNA TV

www.wbna21.com
http://titantvguide.titantv.com/apg/ttv.aspx?siteid=50705

Doesn't look like they carry Retro TV now.

-snip-
> I've learned that The Master regenerated to a Female character before
> The Doctor did, from reading messages on that other echo.
>
> It makes Me wonder about the Writers, Producers, Directors etc. over in
> England.

MP> Actually, I think that was more for storyline value than
MP> anything "political." The actress who played The Master was
MP> pretty good at it. She is probably my favorite of the three I
MP> have seen play that character.

I wasn't thinking 'political' I was thinking 'immoral'.

> Movies aren't better than ever anymore IMNSHO.
> Same for the new stuff on TV.
>
> If I'm not in this room on the computer I watch some shows on ME-TV,
> GRIT and a bit more shows.

MP> I have to have cable to get them here, but my favorite networks
MP> are probably Me, Antenna TV, and KET/PBS. I don't watch too
MP> many shows which are not on one of those three. As far as
MP> movies go, all but one of my favories are in black and white
MP> and were released before I was born. Smile

Years ago late Sunday Night was when I first saw Doctor Who on KET in
Louisville.
Tom Baker, the 4th Doctor was in the shows they were showing then.

I got a question for You since You have watched some later shows.
Has The Doctor been romantic with any Companions?
From what I have read in the other echo that is what I read into
what others write.

Thanks.

... help stamp out, eliminate, and abolish redundancy.
--- MultiMail/Win32 v0.50
* Origin: capitolcityonline.net * Telnet/SSH:2022/HTTP (1:2320/105)

From: Frank Linhares (1:229/101)
To: All
Date: Mon, 29.04.19 01:36
Re: 13th Dr.
EV> I got a question for You since You have watched some later shows.
EV> Has The Doctor been romantic with any Companions?
EV> From what I have read in the other echo that is what I read into
EV> what others write.

None of the earlier Dr's every went there, but David Tennant's Dr. did have
feelings for Rose Tyler, his companion. It was a different situation, seeing
as the Dr has never really shown any romantic inclinations to his companions.

--- Mystic BBS v1.12 A43 2019/03/02 (Linux/64)
* Origin: !diskShop bbs! bbs.diskshop.ca ! (1:229/101)

From: Mike Powell (1:2320/105)
To: All
Date: Mon, 29.04.19 19:59
Re: 13th Dr.
> Years ago late Sunday Night was when I first saw Doctor Who on KET in
> Louisville.
> Tom Baker, the 4th Doctor was in the shows they were showing then.

That is a favorite Doctor of many fans. He is one of my favorites.

I wish KET still showed the older Dr. Who series, and also Dark Shadows.

> I got a question for You since You have watched some later shows.
> Has The Doctor been romantic with any Companions?
> From what I have read in the other echo that is what I read into
> what others write.

Not exactly. A couple of the Doctors have formed relationships with their
companions that, to me, would indicate a level of closeness that is above
and beyond "duty of care," but I don't remember any of them becoming
romantically involved.

Without posting spoilers, it was inferred that one companion would likely
become involved with an another demension's doppleganger of one of the
Doctors, IIRC.

Mike

---
* SLMR 2.1a * Have a (cute) electrician check your shorts.
* Origin: capitolcityonline.net * Telnet/SSH:2022/HTTP (1:2320/105)

From: Frank Linhares (1:229/101)
To: All
Date: Fri, 03.05.19 20:45
Re: 13th Dr.
MP> Without posting spoilers, it was inferred that one companion would likely
MP> become involved with an another demension's doppleganger of one of the
MP> Doctors, IIRC.

You are correct, without spoiling anything of course.

From: Dallas Vinson (1:123/256)
To: All
Date: Fri, 10.05.19 15:22
Re: 13th Dr.
FL> EV> I got a question for You since You have watched some later shows.
FL> EV> Has The Doctor been romantic with any Companions?
FL> EV> From what I have read in the other echo that is what I read into
FL> EV> what others write.
FL>
FL> None of the earlier Dr's every went there, but David Tennant's Dr. did
FL> have feelings for Rose Tyler, his companion. It was a different
FL> situation, seeing as the Dr has never really shown any romantic
FL> inclinations to his companions.

It was hinted at in more than one episode though the Dr and Jack Harkness
were a thing at one time, though it was never shown in any episode, just
alluded to.

-Dallas Vinson (AKA: Geri Atricks, Lupine Furmen)

* Origin: Legends of Yesteryear (1:123/256)

From: Frank Linhares (1:229/101)
To: All
Date: Fri, 10.05.19 21:42
Re: 13th Dr.
DV> It was hinted at in more than one episode though the Dr and Jack Harkness
DV> were a thing at one time, though it was never shown in any episode, just
DV> alluded to.

Jack Harkness was known to have been a thing with pretty much everyone across
every time period, lol.

From: ernie (1:267/118)
To: All
Date: Fri, 17.05.19 22:48
Re: 13th Dr.
FL> Jack Harkness was known to have been a thing with pretty much everyone
FL> across every time period, lol.

I guess when you're effectively immortal... you're willing to try just about
everything... at least once... ;-)

---
Ernest J Gainey III - LostCause Halfway House BBS
telnet://bbs.lostcause.house
http://bbs.lostcause.house

--- Mystic BBS v1.12 A43 2019/03/02 (Linux/64)
* Origin: LostCause Halfway House BBS (1:267/118)

From: Frank Linhares (1:229/101)
To: All
Date: Fri, 17.05.19 23:07
Re: 13th Dr.
er> I guess when you're effectively immortal... you're willing to try just
er> about everything... at least once... ;-)

Life would be boring otherwise.

netsurge!
disksh0p!bbs ! bbs.diskshop.ca

--- Mystic BBS v1.12 A43 2019/03/02 (Linux/64)
* Origin: !diskshop!bbs! bbs.diskshop.ca ! mystic goodness ! (1:229/101)

From: ernie (1:267/118)
To: All
Date: Fri, 17.05.19 23:32
Re: 13th Dr.
FL> er> I guess when you're effectively immortal... you're willing to try jus
FL> er> about everything... at least once... ;-)
FL>
FL> Life would be boring otherwise.

He definitely seemed to keep things interesting... same seems true of Mr.
John Borrowman.. ;-)

---

From: Frank Linhares (1:229/101)
To: All
Date: Sat, 18.05.19 00:46
Re: 13th Dr.
er> He definitely seemed to keep things interesting... same seems true of Mr.
er> John Borrowman.. ;-)

Who tends to experiment a lot more.

frank!netsurge!demonic
disksh0p!bbs ! bbs.diskshop.ca ! mystic goodness

From: Nigel Reed (1:124/5016)
To: All
Date: Wed, 09.12.20 14:42
Re: 13th Dr.
Frank wrote:
> I am curious at to people's thoughts on the last season of Dr. Who with
> Jodie Whitaker.
>
> Personally I thought she brought a breath of fresh air with her quirkness.

I'm tried of hearing about "the sonic". It's a device which is too much relied
on these days. As a kid it was almost like a special treat when The Doctor
pulled out the sonic screwdriver. The "real Doctor" was someone who could make
a transmitter out of the junk he found in his pockets, whit and an amount of
luck.
--- SBBSecho 3.11-Linux
* Origin: End Of The Line BBS - endofthelinebbs.com (1:124/5016)