Fidonet Portal

From: Sean Dennis (1:18/200)
To: All
Date: Sat, 17.12.11 13:03
T h e F i d o G a z e t t e! Vol 5 No 20 Editorial
Hello, Roy.

Friday December 16 2011 at 00:18, you wrote to Janis Kracht:

JK>> And still, in my Email folder Ward Dossche still mentions,
JK>> in his words to some people, "charades as we just witnessed
JK>> in the FTSC-election".

RW> 8^) What's new?

Nothing much it seems. The FTSC was a joke when I was a member. There was
never any discussion of anything, just the usual tomfoolery: the Europeans and
Russians going after themselves for the slightest error dealing with any sort
of obscure minutae; Ward questioning me about my qualifications for being on
the FTSC, accusing me of being "Janis's [sic] lapdog", and holding a fool's
court; van der Vlist being vague and overly PC with everyone else; the Russians
being arrogant and condesending (sp?Wink if you dare mention anything is wrong
with their overly verbose "documentation" written in terrible Engrish -- and
that was just in the first two months after an election. The other ten months,
not a word was said in the private FTSC echo except when the Europeans and
Russians decided to give each other heartburn or someone dared to post a
message to try to get the moribund "committee" to actually DO something to
justify its existance.

Why does the FTSC exist these days? It is really nothing but an empty shell to
gratify some people's egos. I see a few good names on the recently elected
members list and I wish them luck dealing with the "usual suspects". It's
nothing but a maelstorm of discontent like many areas in Fidonet.

Meanwhile, Fidonet continues its fine tradition as being a technical and
cultural backwater because of a few people that remain in the higher echelons
of Fidonet and want to act like the network is their own personal fifedom. The
trash could be taken out but the network administration is impotent and more
concerned about kissing each other's asses and being politically correct rather
than making Fidonet vibrant and active again. I'd like to hope that with new
people in the administration of Fidonet that things would change. But in the
very upper parts of Fidonet, there has not been a change in decades and the
effects on the network of this stagnation are showing.

Ironically, I was -asked- to come back to Fidonet and I did so of my own free
will only to realize that I was starting to step in the same pile of hot
steaming crap that I stepped in the last time I haunted these echoes. Not this
time, thankfully.

This is all just my opinion, of course. I'm sure I'll be castigated in here
and villified in netmail by the usual suspects within a few days of this
message being broadcast because I'm not politically correct.

Later,
Sean

... You may have to fight a battle more than once to win it. - Margaret
Thatcher

--- GoldED/2 3.0.1
* Origin: Outpost BBS / Johnson City, TN / outpost.slyip.net (1:18/200)