Fidonet Portal

From: alexander koryagin (2:5020/400)
To: All
Date: Wed, 23.05.12 12:34
King, Sherlock Holmes and a verb ;)
processed: spam filter heuristic analysis disabled)

From: "alexander koryagin"

Hello, All!

In a novel "A SCANDAL IN BOHEMIA" about Sherlock Holmes, by Sir Arthur Conan
Doyle, I've read this:

=========Beginning of the citation==============
"On the contrary, my dear sir," cried the King; "nothing could be
more successful. I know that her word is inviolate. The photograph is now
as safe as if it were in the fire."
"I am glad to hear your Majesty say so."
"I am immensely indebted to you. Pray tell me in what way I can
reward you. This ring-" He slipped an emerald snake ring from his finger
and held it out upon the palm of his hand.
"Your Majesty has something which I should value even more highly,"
said Holmes.

=========The end of the citation================

It seems something strange:

1. I am glad to hear your Majesty _say_ so. (I'd write "says or said"Wink

I can suppose that "your Majesty" is plural, but look:

2. Your Majesty _has_ something...

It means that in the first sentence it must be "says"?

Bye All!
Alexander (yAlexKo[]yandex.ru) + 2:5020/2140.91
fido7.english-tutor 2012

--- ifmail v.2.15dev5.4
* Origin: Demos online service (2:5020/400)