Fidonet Portal

From: Ardith Hinton (1:153/716)
To: All
Date: Tue, 15.05.12 00:56
Program Quoter - Grammatical Notes
Hi, Alexander! Recently you wrote in a message to Anatoliy Kovalenko:

ak> "Re: Program Quoter - you are very welcomed"

"You're welcome" is a standard reply in English when somebody has
said "Thankyou". In this case "welcome" functions as an adjective. Another
example: "You're welcome to ask about anything you didn't understand here."

The same word is also used as a noun... e.g. "Ivan gave us a warm
welcome when we arrived on his doorstep unexpectedly."

The same word is also used as a verb... e.g. "Ivan and his family
welcomed us to their home." Because participles are often used with linking
verbs in English (e.g. "I'm delighted to hear that!"Wink I understood what you
meant, but it's not quite what native speakers of English are accustomed to.

ak> But I strongly doubt that you always make your windows so wide to be
ak> able to write 120 symbol lines.

I'd say "so wide as to be able".

ak> We
ak> used it in books and etc.

Since "et cetera" means "and the rest" in Latin & in English, the
addition of another "and" is redundant.

Many native speakers make the same error.... Smile

--- timEd/386 1.10.y2k+
* Origin: Wits' End, Vancouver CANADA (1:153/716)