Fidonet Portal

From: Janis Kracht (1:261/38)
To: All
Date: Thu, 15.12.11 18:48
T h e F i d o G a z e t t e! Vol 5 No 20 Articles: What Not to Do
A R T I C L E S

What Not to Do After an Exhausting Day...
by Janis Kracht, 1:261/38,janis@filegate.net

I'm sure you know the kind of day I'm going to describe..
especially given the time of year.

On Tuesday, December 13th, refrains of "Jingle Bell Rock"
and "Rudolph The Red Nosed Reindeer" and more were piped
in the department stores and malls as weary shoppers
converged on the latest greatest deals, hoping to finish
up or for us, just darn start Christmas shopping!

One met with the typical types that day in the aisles..
"The Vacant Stare" shopper who is totally unaware of
everything and everyone around him or her.. these guys
SHOVE other shoppers, and GRAB what they want, or worse
yet race down aisles as if the end of the world is near,
and turn corners at blazing speeds, not noticing who they
may ram into... "The Cell-Phone Shopper" who can't make
a decision by himself or herself without consulting a
mate via phone.. These types are so wrapped up in taking
on the phone that they're unaware that we're not all
interested in their momentous decisions or choices. The
"Undecided Shopper", who decides that the space in front
of that Samurai Castle belongs to _him_ and him alone, so
that no one else can even get close to check out the
price or features. I'm sure you've seen them all Smile

But we persevered.. Days are getting short to the
Holiday, for sure. And if you don't get out there now
chances are the Samurai Castle will be gone, as will that
Erector set with a 6Volt battery motor.. So, we stuck it
out. And it seems that even though everyone is bemoaning
the fact that they are broke, darn, this is Christmas -
and I guess as usual plastic still works well for people
Smile

So after a good 5 hours of battling the public (this year
we decided to skip ordering online with it's often
extensive added shipping costs) we returned home a little
worse for the wear.. and I made some dinner.. nothing
fancy that night, but sausage and peppers always goes
over big here. The worst thing about a dinner like that
is you have to stand there and watch it.. somewhat at
least.. or if your stove is like mine, it will total the
vegetables and burn the sausage.. more time on your feet
I could have done without Smile

Next, after dinner we decided to watch the episode of
Dexter (Serial killer, you can only love Wink that we
missed on Sunday.. that felt good.. Just laying around
watching the idiot box Smile Smile But I always feel that show
is too short, and that evening was no different.. So
finally, at the end of the day Ron and I turned to a
mysql project that we hope will turn into something
useful.. brain energy required..

Next thing I know, it's approaching midnight and
something in me said, hey, probably time to check out
your system since you've been ignoring it all day.
Glancing at the system time, I noted it was just about
Midnight.. and my cron event for creating the weekly
nodelist hadn't run. 'Now what', I remember thinking..
darn linux upgrades! Sometimes they break more than they
fix.. So I forced the event, not realizing one important
detail.. it was TUESDAY not Thursday Smile

So, the nodelist went out to the world, the web pages at
filegate.net were updated. I got an email from Bob
Seaborn the next morning.. "What's up??".. I remember
saying to myself "" Geez.. guess I
jumped the gun on that one .

Solutions:
Sadly because the nodelist went out after Tuesday, most
systems probably processed it unless your system keys
the nodelist update to the day of the week, namely
Thursday/Friday. If your system did apply nodelist.350,
you'll have to back your system up to nodelist.343 so that
tonight's Nodelist can be applied correctly.

If you don't have nodelist.343 on your system somewhere,
you can pick it up here.

Freq NODELIST for nodelist.z43 (zip archive) or NODEDIFF
for nodediff.a43

Via Binkp:
filegate.net:24554 (standard port)
Freqs don't seem to work on my bbbs Binkp on port 24555.

Via Modem:
File request at 1:261/38, 607-655-5652.

Needless to say, the web pages at filegate.net have also
been updated to remove the early NODELIST.Z50 and
NODEDIFF.A50.

FIDOGAZETTE Vol 5 No 20 Page 4 December 15th, 2011

--- BBBS/Li6 v4.10 Dada-1
* Origin: Prism bbs (1:261/38)