Fidonet Portal

From: MERCYFUL FATE (46:2/101)
To: All
Date: Sat, 05.01.19 10:11
Re: Cheese!
AD> I don't see a way I can disagree with you there. Asus seems to be making
AD> some great everything these days. My desktop and 3 monitor setup is all
AD> Asus at the moment, and I haven't had one complaint about it yet. I'll
AD> probably continue to use and support their products until they fail me.

i just got a new asus monitor, and it's pretty sweet, has multiple hdmi so i
can hook up multiple boxes and switch between them very nicely.. love it!
But hardware upgrade i've made in ages. Smile

--- Mystic BBS v1.10 A37 (Linux)
* Origin: Posted in haciend.bbs.fi - Haciend El Bananas (46:2/101)

From: MERCYFUL FATE (46:2/101)
To: All
Date: Sat, 05.01.19 10:14
Re: Cheese!
Ni> The WRT54GL is a great router. I had one that I used for several years
Ni> and never had a problem with it (I wish I had bought one sooner - I had
Ni> previously used some other routers which were less reliable sometimes
Ni> and didn't support the DD-WRT firmware). When I bought my WRT54GL, I
Ni> bought 2 of them because I was worried they'd stop making them soon and
Ni> I wanted a spare in case one of them died (which it never did). Not too
Ni> long ago I sold the spare that I bought - It was still unused and in the
Ni> shrink wrap, and I got a decent price for it on eBay.

I picked up a Linksys E3200 not to long ago, very nice gigabit lan speeds
and the wireless is very good, great for streaming tv shows all over the
house with the difference devices i have.. no problems here what so ever.

From: MERCYFUL FATE (46:2/101)
To: All
Date: Sat, 05.01.19 10:17
Re: Cheese!
Hu> If I could jump in and ask a quick question. I also have the WR54GL
Hu> and was wondering if upgrading to N band is worth the price? Thanks

for me it's been worth it, the N usually have gigabit i believe for local
networking, and the newer models have dual channel 2 and 5 ghz wich is
compitable with most devices out there.. I useta have trouble streaming and
now the wireless streaming is smooth as silk. I would look into it if you
like streaming content.

From: NIGHTFOX (1:124/5013)
To: All
Date: Thu, 31.01.19 19:20
Re: Cheese!
Re: Re: Cheese!
By: Mercyful Fate to Nightfox on Sun Jan 05 2014 10:14:00

Ni>> The WRT54GL is a great router. I had one that I used for several

MF> I picked up a Linksys E3200 not to long ago, very nice gigabit lan speeds
MF> and the wireless is very good, great for streaming tv shows all over the
MF> house with the difference devices i have.. no problems here what so ever.

Interesting to hear. When I decided to upgrade to gigabit from my WRT54GL, I
bought a couple of Linksys gigabit routers (including the E3200), to find that
their wi-fi was unreliable. Maybe I just happened to get two bad routers, but
after going through two Linksys routers with the same result, I decided to look
into different brands. After reading some reviews, I ended up buying an Asus
RT-N66U, and I have been happy with it - It has been performing very well, and
its wifi is strong and stable across my apartment. I also have a few computers
connected via Ethernet cables to get the gigabit transfer speeds.

Nightfox

---

* Origin: Prison Board BBS Mesquite Tx //telnet.RDFIG.NET www. (1:124/5013)

From: PSI-JACK (46:1/142)
To: All
Date: Thu, 31.01.19 19:20
Re: Cheese!
On 01/05/14, Mercyful Fate said the following...

MF> Ni> The WRT54GL is a great router. I had one that I used for several yea
MF> Ni> and never had a problem with it (I wish I had bought one sooner - I h
MF> Ni> previously used some other routers which were less reliable sometimes
MF> Ni> and didn't support the DD-WRT firmware). When I bought my WRT54GL, I
MF> Ni> bought 2 of them because I was worried they'd stop making them soon a
MF> Ni> I wanted a spare in case one of them died (which it never did). Not
MF> Ni> long ago I sold the spare that I bought - It was still unused and in
MF> Ni> shrink wrap, and I got a decent price for it on eBay.
MF>
MF> I picked up a Linksys E3200 not to long ago, very nice gigabit lan
MF> speeds and the wireless is very good, great for streaming tv shows all
MF> over the house with the difference devices i have.. no problems here
MF> what so ever.

I've personally only ever had bad luck with what I named "Linkcrap". It was so
bad I used to run a Linux virtual machine just to run my router. Which was
powerful, supported HA (High Availability), and active/failover between two
constant-running VMs between 4 systems, with live migration between systems so
I could do maintenance.

Now, however, I run with an ASUS AC66U router, running with AdvancedTomato
firmeware which is absolutely beautiful. Rock solid, never dies, just plain
works. It's not perfect on WiFi though. For some reason I can't change the
radio channels, but that's a bug working in progress.

>>>[Psi-Jack -//- Decker's Heaven]

--- Mystic BBS v1.10 A51 (Linux)
* Origin: Decker's Heaven * deckersheaven.com (46:1/142)

From: MERCYFUL FATE (46:1/140)
To: All
Date: Thu, 31.01.19 19:20
Re: Cheese!
$ Psi-Jack was quoted saying . .
> I've personally only ever had bad luck with what I named "Linkcrap". It
> was so bad I used to run a Linux virtual machine just to run my router.
> Which was powerful, supported HA (High Availability), and active/failover
> between two constant-running VMs between 4 systems, with live migration
> between systems so I could do maintenance.
>
> Now, however, I run with an ASUS AC66U router, running with AdvancedTomato
> firmeware which is absolutely beautiful. Rock solid, never dies, just
> plain works. It's not perfect on WiFi though. For some reason I can't
> change the radio channels, but that's a bug working in progress.

Ya my old stuff was running on a Dlink which wored great the first couple
years, but then as i starting adding more and newer devices it would go down
every couple hours, finally threw it out and got a linksys gigabit and it's
been smooth sailing. I think it's just the luck of a draw at times when it
comes to hardware.

|07M|11er|03cy|07ful Fate |08(|15hTc|08)|07

--- Enthral BBS v.634 [2014.8.20] (Linux x86_64)
* Origin: haunting The chapel >>--> htc.zapto.org <--<< (46:1/140)

From: ACCESS DENIED (46:1/701)
To: All
Date: Thu, 31.01.19 19:20
Re: Cheese!
Hello Mercyful,

On 05 Jan 14 10:11, Mercyful Fate wrote to Access Denied:

MF> i just got a new asus monitor, and it's pretty sweet, has multiple
MF> hdmi so i can hook up multiple boxes and switch between them very
MF> nicely.. love it! But hardware upgrade i've made in ages. Smile

Yeah I hear ya. I've actually always kinda skimped on monitors up until I got
the triple setup, and after doing that, I don't think I'll ever be able to
skimp on them again. Smile

Regards,
Nick

--- GoldED+/LNX 1.1.5-b20130910
* Origin: thePharcyde_ telnet://bbs.pharcyde.org (Wisconsin) (46:1/701)

From: ACCESS DENIED (46:1/701)
To: All
Date: Thu, 31.01.19 19:20
Re: Cheese!
Hello Psi-Jack,

On 30 Aug 14 22:46, Psi-Jack wrote to Mercyful Fate:

PJ> Now, however, I run with an ASUS AC66U router, running with
PJ> AdvancedTomato firmeware which is absolutely beautiful. Rock solid,
PJ> never dies, just plain works. It's not perfect on WiFi though. For
PJ> some reason I can't change the radio channels, but that's a bug
PJ> working in progress.

AC68R here running Merlin's customized stock Asus firmware (Mainly because at
the time I flashed it the router was brand new, and DD-WRT and/or Tomato didn't

support it very well). Haven't had any issues yet!

From: PSI-JACK (46:1/142)
To: All
Date: Thu, 31.01.19 19:20
Re: Cheese!
On 09/01/14, Access Denied said the following...

AD> AC68R here running Merlin's customized stock Asus firmware (Mainly
AD> because at the time I flashed it the router was brand new, and DD-WRT
AD> and/or Tomato didn't support it very well). Haven't had any issues yet!

Heh, not bad. A friend/co-worker of mine turned me on to ASUS, because I hated
Linkcrap, hated Dcrap, hated Belcrap. I used to run my own VMs to do just
routing, but it was somewhat a hassle to maintain and keep up-to-date.

The ASUS kinda saves me a bit of time, and allowed me to setup good useful QoS
rules easily and monitor and tune them accordingly, with Advanced Tomato
anyway. Best QoS WebUI ever.

From: ACCESS DENIED (46:1/701)
To: All
Date: Thu, 31.01.19 19:20
Re: Cheese!
Hello Psi-Jack,

On 02 Sep 14 00:49, Psi-Jack wrote to Access Denied:

PJ> The ASUS kinda saves me a bit of time, and allowed me to setup good
PJ> useful QoS rules easily and monitor and tune them accordingly, with
PJ> Advanced Tomato anyway. Best QoS WebUI ever.

I just took a look on their site and it doesn't look like they support my
router. The latest version they support is the AC66U. Sad

From: PSI-JACK (46:1/142)
To: All
Date: Thu, 31.01.19 19:20
Re: Cheese!
On 09/02/14, Access Denied said the following...

AD> I just took a look on their site and it doesn't look like they support my
AD> router. The latest version they support is the AC66U. Sad

Bummer. Sad

From: ACCESS DENIED (46:1/701)
To: All
Date: Thu, 31.01.19 19:20
Re: Cheese!
Hello Psi-Jack,

On 02 Sep 14 08:05, Psi-Jack wrote to Access Denied:

AD>> I just took a look on their site and it doesn't look like they
AD>> support my router. The latest version they support is the AC66U.
AD>> Sad

PJ> Bummer. Sad

I believe DD-WRT has some firmware that supports it, but last I checked (it was

months ago) the wifi wasn't working as expected and there was a couple other
minor glitches that I didn't care for, and knew worked perfectly well in
Merlin's custom stock firmware, so I just went with that.

The only thing the firmware I'm currently using doesn't have that DD-WRT did,
was some kind of DNS aliasing or something where you could set specific DNS
addresses to certain LAN IPs (I forgot the exact name for it) and the router
would forward them appropriately. Then again, I've also read that's not a very
common method of doing things either, and while I used it when using DD-WRT, I
didn't really have a major need for it.

From: POINDEXTER FORTRAN (46:1/115)
To: All
Date: Thu, 31.01.19 19:20
Re: Cheese!
Re: Re: Cheese!
By: Access Denied to Psi-Jack on Tue Sep 02 2014 04:12 pm

AD> The only thing the firmware I'm currently using doesn't have that DD-WRT
AD> did, was some kind of DNS aliasing or something where you could set
AD> specific DNS addresses to certain LAN IPs (I forgot the exact name for it)
AD> and the router would forward them appropriately. Then again, I've also
AD> read that's not a very common method of doing things either, and while I
AD> used it when using DD-WRT, I didn't really have a major need for it.

Are you talking about port forwarding? A request on the WAN IP on a specific
port is forwarded to another (or the same) port on an internal IP?

One feature that's tricky on DD-WRT is WAN loopback. What I want to do is hit
my BBS hostname (realitycheckbbs.org) and have it redirected to an internal IP.

DD-WRT does that with a script, and if you hit a port that it's forwarding,
will service it internally.
--- SBBSecho 2.27-Win32
* Origin: Sent from my iPhone (46:1/115)

From: ACCESS DENIED (46:1/701)
To: All
Date: Thu, 31.01.19 19:20
Re: Cheese!
Hello Poindexter,

On 02 Sep 14 14:59, Poindexter Fortran wrote to Access Denied:

PF> Are you talking about port forwarding? A request on the WAN IP on a
PF> specific port is forwarded to another (or the same) port on an
PF> internal IP?

Nope. I know what port forwarding is. Smile

Unfortunately, I don't have DD-WRT here anymore to check to give a specific
name.

PF> One feature that's tricky on DD-WRT is WAN loopback. What I want to do
PF> is hit my BBS hostname (realitycheckbbs.org) and have it redirected to
PF> an internal IP.

PF> DD-WRT does that with a script, and if you hit a port that it's
PF> forwarding, will service it internally.

I believe it has something to do with that, except it was called something
different. I was able to do it without a script when I ran DD-WRT on my
WRT54GL. I was able to have 'www.pharcyde.org' and 'bbs.pharcyde.org' pointed
at one internal IP, and just 'pharcyde.org' pointed to another internal IP.
Then even when I registered 'darksorrow.us' I was able to do the same things
with that one. This was even while both DNSs were hosted elsewhere. I could
point them to my WAN IP at the registrar, then let the router point them
internally. It was a pretty neat feature, but I don't think it's very supported

elsewhere other than DD-WRT.

AH HAH! I believe it had something to do with the DNSMasq feature, if I
remember correctly. There was an enabled option and below it there was an input

box where I could do something like:

"pharcyde.org"/192.168.1.100

or something like that.. I don't remember the specifics, sorry.