Fidonet Portal

From: Tommi Koivula (2:22/0)
To: All
Date: Mon, 28.11.11 19:30
vote
EC> ----------------------------------------------
EC> | Name | Node nr | Yes| No |
EC> |----------------------|-------------|----|----|
EC> | Ivan Agarkov | 2:5020/848 | x | |
EC> | Andrew Clarke | 3:633/267 | x | |
EC> | Robert "Jame" Clay | 1:120/546 | x | |

EC> | Egor Glukhov | 2:5061/120 | x | |
EC> | Andre Grueneberg | 2:2411/525 | x | |
EC> | Mark Hofmann | 1:261/1304 | x | |
EC> | Dmitriy Romanov | 2:6078/1 | x | |
EC> | Michiel van der Vlist| 2:280/5555 | x | |
EC> ----------------------------------------------

---
* Origin: ------------------------------------------>> (2:22/0)

From: Roger Nelson (1:3828/7)
To: All
Date: Mon, 12.12.11 07:14
Re: Vote
PQ> Hi! Roger,

Hi,

PQ> In a message to Election Coordinator you wrote:

PQ>RN> Weren't you 53 minutes late?

PQ> That's Michiel you're writing to. He's on UTC+1. His vote was 'in' with
PQ> seven minutes to spare. =:)

I stand corrected. Thanks, Paul.

Regards,

Roger

--- D'Bridge 3.64
* Origin: NCS BBS (1:3828/7)

From: Ward Dossche (2:292/854)
To: All
Date: Mon, 12.12.11 15:13
Re: Vote
Michiel,

Mv> The proof that it was "in" lies in te time stamp of the ACK, which is
Mv> 20:59:22. Time zone information in the message says TZUTC 0100. So the
Mv> ACK was created at 19:59:22 UTC. 38 seconds before closing time. ;-)

This nearly sounds like an eBay-auction ... wait till the very end ... Smile

\%/@rd

--- D'Bridge 3.59
* Origin: Many Glacier / Protect - Preserve - Conserve (2:292/854)

From: Dale Shipp (1:261/1466)
To: All
Date: Wed, 20.11.13 00:33
Re: Vote

-=> spoke to Joe Delahaye about Vote Where does it state anywhere that UTF 8 is a standard to be used?

BF> FSC-0054.

I take it that you mean the *proposal* for UTF-8 to be a standard that
was made 22 years ago. When did it become a standard?

[quote]
Purpose:
___-----

This document is a proposal for a FIDO standard.

This document describes a method of allowing international and other
non-standard ASCII characters to be transferred via a network and
interpreted by the receiving systems. It also allows for expansion to
multiple character sets and character sets that require more than one
byte storage space per character. Further the capability to include
style and font changes are part of this proposal.
[/quote]

Dale Shipp
fido_261_1466 (at) verizon (dot) net
(1:261/1466)

... Shipwrecked on Hesperus in Columbia, Maryland. 23:37:31, 19 Nov 2013
___ Blue Wave/DOS v2.30

--- Maximus/NT 3.01
* Origin: Owl's Anchor (1:261/1466)

From: Dale Shipp (1:261/1466)
To: All
Date: Wed, 20.11.13 00:41
Re: Vote

-=> spoke to Joe Delahaye about Vote Where does it state anywhere that UTF 8 is a standard to be used?

BF> Please ignore my previous answer.

BF> FSP-1030

Your previous answer at least referenced a document in the ftsc.org
library -- FSP-1030 does not exist there.

Dale Shipp
fido_261_1466 (at) verizon (dot) net
(1:261/1466)

... Shipwrecked on Hesperus in Columbia, Maryland. 23:42:32, 19 Nov 2013

From: Dale Shipp (1:261/1466)
To: All
Date: Wed, 20.11.13 00:46
Re: Vote

-=> spoke to Kees Van Eeten about Vote > FSP-1030

KvE> So when is a proposed standard obligatory for all used software.

BF> When the FTSC is given enough mandate to make it so.

You seem to misunderstand what the FTSC is supposed to do. As has been
often said, they do not create standards -- they document existing
standards.

Dale Shipp
fido_261_1466 (at) verizon (dot) net
(1:261/1466)

... Shipwrecked on Hesperus in Columbia, Maryland. 23:47:25, 19 Nov 2013

From: Paul Quinn (3:640/384)
To: All
Date: Wed, 20.11.13 17:34
Re: Vote
Hi! Dale,

BF>> FSP-1030

DS> Your previous answer at least referenced a document in the ftsc.org
DS> library -- FSP-1030 does not exist there.

There is one in the library...

--- 8< ---
Publication: FSP-1030
Revision: 2
Title: Unicode character set in FidoNet messages
Author: Aleksej R. Serdyukov, 2:5020/24000
Revision Date: 15 November 2005
Expiry Date: 15 November 2007
--- 8< ---

There is a standards doco as well, that might be of interest: FTS-5003. I've
not read it.

Cheers,
Paul.

... Leftists are among the first to speak of their rights.
--- Paul's Win98SE VirtualBox
* Origin: Quinn's Post - Maryborough, Queensland, OZ (3:640/384)

From: Paul Quinn (3:640/384)
To: All
Date: Wed, 20.11.13 17:39
Re: Vote
Hi! Dale,

BF>> When the FTSC is given enough mandate to make it so.

DS> You seem to misunderstand what the FTSC is supposed to do. As has
DS> been often said, they do not create standards -- they document
DS> existing standards.

That's the same dream I once had. Apparently, it's t'other way around: a
little co-operation mingled with some pushing & shoving.

Cheers,
Paul.

... Pun: the lowest form of humour, unless you thought of it first.

From: Dale Shipp (1:261/1466)
To: All
Date: Thu, 21.11.13 00:18
Re: Vote
-=> On 11-20-13 16:34, Paul Quinn spoke to Dale Shipp about Re: Vote Hi! Dale,

What library? As I said, it is not in the documents library at ftsc.org
-- which ought to be the official repository for all ftsc documents.
The FSP documents there skip from 1029 to 1032, and there is no document
there of any flavor with 1030.

PQ> -!- 8< ---
PQ> Publication: FSP-1030
PQ> Revision: 2
PQ> Title: Unicode character set in FidoNet messages
PQ> Author: Aleksej R. Serdyukov, 2:5020/24000
PQ> Revision Date: 15 November 2005
PQ> Expiry Date: 15 November 2007
PQ> -!- 8< ---

PQ> There is a standards doco as well, that might be of
PQ> interest: FTS-5003. I've not read it.

I have looked at that document, and what it seems to be talking about is
kludges of various sorts at the transport level. It does not proclaim a
standard for what character set can be used in the internal message but
only how to indicate what is used.

Dale Shipp
fido_261_1466 (at) verizon (dot) net
(1:261/1466)

... Shipwrecked on Hesperus in Columbia, Maryland. 23:25:15, 20 Nov 2013

From: Dale Shipp (1:261/1466)
To: All
Date: Thu, 21.11.13 00:57
Re: Vote

-=> spoke to Dale Shipp about Vote > So when is a proposed standard obligatory for all used software.

BF>> When the FTSC is given enough mandate to make it so.

DS> You seem to misunderstand what the FTSC is supposed to do. As has been
DS> often said, they do not create standards -- they document existing
DS> standards.

BF> Does what I wrote have a different meaning in US English
BF> than in British English?

I doubt it. Perhaps you could explain what you mean by the phrases
"obligatory for all used software" and "when the FTSC is given enough
mandate to make it so"? Those phrases are miles away from "here is what
people are doing".

Dale Shipp
fido_261_1466 (at) verizon (dot) net
(1:261/1466)

... Shipwrecked on Hesperus in Columbia, Maryland. 23:15:03, 20 Nov 2013

From: Paul Quinn (3:640/384)
To: All
Date: Thu, 21.11.13 17:24
Re: Vote
Hi! Dale,

On Wed, 20 Nov 13, you wrote to me:

PQ>> There is one in the library...

DS> What library? As I said, it is not in the documents library at
DS> ftsc.org -- which ought to be the official repository for all ftsc
DS> documents. The FSP documents there skip from 1029 to 1032, and there
DS> is no document there of any flavor with 1030.

Ah yes, I see that also. It and a few others may gave fallen off. Oops.

I know this won't help but it was there on 13 December 2011, when I did a
'wget' (ftp-like thingy) to flesh-out my local collection. Since then, Michiel
has added me to the TIC echo distribution.

I was tempted to drop it off to your system but I see that it's PVT. Oops.
You are welcome to FREQ it from here, if you remember how to. The filename is:
'fsp-1030.002' ( There is a standards doco as well, that might be of
PQ>> interest: FTS-5003. I've not read it.

DS> I have looked at that document, and what it seems to be talking about
DS> is kludges of various sorts at the transport level. It does not
DS> proclaim a standard for what character set can be used in the internal
DS> message but only how to indicate what is used.

Ah, thank you.

Cheers,
Paul.

... MISSING: Tagline, 70 characters long, last seen in New Mexico.

From: Dale Shipp (1:261/1466)
To: All
Date: Fri, 22.11.13 00:53
Re: Vote

-=> spoke to Dale Shipp about Vote >> So when is a proposed standard obligatory for all used software.

BF>>> When the FTSC is given enough mandate to make it so.

BF>> Does what I wrote have a different meaning in US English
BF>> than in British English?

DS> I doubt it.

BF> Well, obviously it does.

DS> Perhaps you could explain what you mean by the phrases
DS> "obligatory for all used software"

BF> Pro primo: I didn't write that. Are you with me so far?

Agreed, but in the very next sentence that you did write, you gave it
support.

DS> and "when the FTSC is given enough mandate to make it so"?

BF> Does the phrase "when hell freezes over" ring a bell?

If you had said that, then I would agree with you. What you actually
said is apparently calling for the FTSC to have a mandate to introduce
standards, and I disagree with that.

DS> Those phrases are miles away from "here is what people are doing".

BF> Of course they are. And anybody familiar with English
BF> Proper would understand what I was trying to say. That
BF> obviously didn't include you. Hence my question:

Anyone familiar with the English language would have chosen a different
response if they disagreed with the premise.

Dale Shipp
fido_261_1466 (at) verizon (dot) net
(1:261/1466)

... Shipwrecked on Hesperus in Columbia, Maryland. 23:18:47, 21 Nov 2013

From: Ward Dossche (2:292/854.1)
To: All
Date: Sat, 23.11.13 06:49
Re: vote
Janis,

JK> I was happy he did.. with his move going on to Texas .. imagine the
JK> chaos..

I'm in Dallas TX ... we have sleet near the airport. It's warmer in Montana.

\%/@rd

--- D'Bridge 3.9
* Origin: Baby Glacier -- On the road again (2:292/854.1)

From: Ward Dossche (2:292/854.1)
To: All
Date: Sun, 24.11.13 18:00
Re: vote
RW>WD> I'm in Dallas TX ... we have sleet near the airport. It's warmer in
RW>WD> Montana.

RW> It's almost 1100 CST in Dallas and 1000 MST in Billings, which is at 32F
RW> (0C) while Dallas is at 40F (4C), check the weather in Billings at 1100
RW> MST and see what they have then.

There's the chill factor of course, Missoula at 28F yesterday evening felt
better than Dallas at 36F.

Besides ... Billings is somewhat in the plains, the Rockies are a couple hours
of driving to the west. That's where I am ... Missoula, Kalispell, ... other
side of the Divide too.

From: Ward Dossche (2:292/854)
To: All
Date: Mon, 30.11.15 01:28
Re: Vote
EC>RC> ----------------------------------------------
EC>RC> | Name | Node nr | Yes| No |
EC>RC> |----------------------|-------------|----|----|
EC>RC> | | | X | |

I would like to understand how the write-in candidate was dealt with?

\%/@rd

--- D'Bridge 3.99
* Origin: Many Glacier -- Protect - Preserve - Conserve (2:292/854)

From: Election Coordinator (2:2/20)
To: All
Date: Thu, 08.12.16 11:32
[ANSI] Re: Vote
Hello Paul,

On Thursday December 08 2016 21:38, you wrote to me:

PH> ----------------------------------------------
PH> | Name | Node nr | Yes| No |
PH> |----------------------|-------------|----|----|
PH> | | | | |
PH> | Nicholas Boel :154/10 | X | |
PH> | Andrew Leary :320/119 | X | |
PH> | mark lewis :3634/12 | X | |
PH> | Richard Menedetter :310/31 | X | |
PH> | Carol Shenkenberger :275/100 | X | |
PH> ----------------------------------------------

ACK

--- GoldED+/W32-MSVC 1.1.5-b20130111
* Origin: http://www.vlist.org (2:2/20)

From: Paul Hayton (3:770/100)
To: All
Date: Thu, 08.12.16 22:38
[ANSI] Re: Vote
Hi there.

| Name | Node nr | Yes| No |
|----------------------|-------------|----|----|
| | | | |
| Nicholas Boel :154/10 | X | |
| Andrew Leary :320/119 | X | |
| mark lewis :3634/12 | X | |
| Richard Menedetter :310/31 | X | |
| Carol Shenkenberger :275/100 | X | |

Paul

RC57

--- Mystic BBS v1.12 A31 (Windows)
* Origin: Agency BBS | telnet://agency.bbs.geek.nz (3:770/100)

From: Marc Lewis (1:396/45)
To: All
Date: Tue, 28.11.17 20:24
re: Vote
Hello Election.

EC> On Tuesday November 28 2017 11:58, you wrote to me:
ML> ----------------------------------------------
ML> | Name | Node nr | Yes| No |
ML> |----------------------|-------------|----|----|
ML> | | | | |
ML> | Torsten Bamberg | 2:240/5832 | x | |
ML> | RJ Clay | 1:120/544 | x | |
ML> | Sean Dennis | 1:18/200 | x | |
ML> | Bjorn Felten | 2:203/2 | | x |
ML> | Dallas Hinton | 1:153/715 | x | |
ML> | Mark Hofmann | 1:261/1304 | x | |
ML> | Markus Reschke | 2:240/1661 | x | |
ML> | Alexey Vissarionov | 2:5020/545 | x | |
ML> | Michiel van der Vlist| 2:280/5555 | | |
ML> ----------------------------------------------
EC> NACK
EC> Voting closed Sunday 26 November 2017, 20:00 UTC.

Sorry, was out of town and had forgotten that the deadline had passed.

With regrets,
Marc

--- timEd/2 1.10.y2k+
* Origin: Sursum Corda! BBS-Huntsville,AL-bbs.sursum-corda.com (1:396/45)

From: Ward Dossche (2:292/854)
To: All
Date: Mon, 04.12.17 02:34
Re: Vote
BF>HR> every candidate starts by NO - every vote change this to an YES

BF> Strange way to perform an election. Can I take it that you and the
BF> other three sysops in you region doesn't participate in any international
BF> echoes?

If that is how R31 wants to conduct its elections/polls, then that is their
prerogative...

\%/@rd

--- D'Bridge 3.99 SR16
* Origin: Resist-Insist-Persist-Enlist / onwardtogether.org (2:292/854)

From: Ward Dossche (2:292/854)
To: All
Date: Tue, 19.02.19 22:06
Re: Vote
Ozz,

ON> ----------------------------------------------
ON> | Name | Node nr | Yes| No |

If you don't understand what you're doing here nor the documents you're
supposed to help maintain as a potential FTSC-member, then perhaps now is a
good time to still step out of the process.

On top of that, Andrew Leary's messages were pretty straightforward and easy to
understand ... and follow.

So ?

\%/@rd

--- D'Bridge 3.99 SR41
* Origin: Ceci n'est pas un courriel (2:292/854)