Fidonet Portal

From: Tim Schattkowsky (2:240/1120.29)
To: All
Date: Mon, 15.11.21 03:47
Valid conference names
Hi,

is there anyplace where it is defined, what a valid fidonet conference name is
(syntactically).

I would suspect, that it has to be latin letters only plus numbers and a few
special chars and matching the name is case-insensitve!?

Also, in my world conference names should be presented as uppercase.

Background: I am rewriting part of the areas management code in winpoint and
ran into some interesting corner cases ...

Bis denne ...
Tim Schattkowsky
--- WinPoint 374.2
* Origin: Original WinPoint Origin! (2:240/1120.29)

From: Tim Schattkowsky (2:240/1120.29)
To: All
Date: Mon, 15.11.21 12:51
Re: Valid conference names
//Hallo Nil, //

am *15.11.21* um *5:25:14* schriebst Du in der Area *FTSC_PUBLIC*
an *Tim Schattkowsky* eine Mail zum
Thema *"Valid conference names"*.

NA> Hello, Tim!

NA> Monday November 15 2021 03:47, from Tim Schattkowsky -> All:

TS>> is there anyplace where it is defined, what a valid fidonet conference
TS>> name is (syntactically).

NA> http://ftsc.org/docs/fsc-0074.001

>> CONFERENCE is the name of the conference. The conference name is composed
>> of ASCII characters in
>> the range 33 to 96 and 123 to 126. The conference
>> name shall be no more than 60 characters in length.

Thanks! I knew it was there but somehow missed it on first sight.

TS>> I would suspect, that it has to be latin letters only plus numbers and a
TS>> few special chars and matching the name is case-insensitve!?

NA> Technically, lower case letters are not allowed, but there are plenty of
NA> software in the wild which accept any letter case. Basically, echo tag is
NA> not case-sensitive.

These lower-case systems bother me. At least now I know I can safely upcase the
names found in such lists to keep internal management consistent.

TS>> Also, in my world conference names should be presented as uppercase.

NA> True.

TS>> Background: I am rewriting part of the areas management code in winpoint
TS>> and ran into some interesting corner cases ...

NA> FTSC can help you.

<thumbsup!/>

Bis denne ...
Tim Schattkowsky
--- WinPoint 375.0
* Origin: Original WinPoint Origin! (2:240/1120.29)

From: Fernando Toledo (4:902/26)
To: All
Date: Mon, 15.11.21 15:23
Re: Valid conference names
El 14/11/21 a las 23:47, Tim Schattkowsky escribio':

> Background: I am rewriting part of the areas management code in winpoint and
ran into some interesting corner cases ...

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Good news! when will you put the code in a git repo to follow the
development? =)WinkWinkWink
--- SBBSecho 3.14-Linux
* Origin: Dock Sud BBS - http://bbs.docksud.com.ar (4:902/26)

From: Ward Dossche (2:292/854)
To: All
Date: Thu, 02.12.21 10:34
Re: Valid conference names
Rob,

RS>> > CONFERENCE is the name of the conference. The
RS>> > conference name is composed of ASCII characters in
RS>> > the range 33 to 96 and 123 to 126. The conference
RS>> > name shall be no more than 60 characters in length.

RS> And I thought 50 was the general accepted maximum echo-tag length. Sad

54

\%/@rd

--- DB4 - Nov 27 2021
* Origin: Hou het veilig, hou vol. Het komt allemaal weer goed (2:292/854)

From: Rob Swindell (1:103/705)
To: All
Date: Thu, 02.12.21 11:08
Re: Valid conference names
Re: Re: Valid conference names
By: Ward Dossche to Rob Swindell on Thu Dec 02 2021 10:34 am

> Rob,

> RS> And I thought 50 was the general accepted maximum echo-tag length. Sad
>
> 54

What's the reference for a max echo-tage length of 54?

For 50, I have FMail (tosser) and Mystic BBS software. So that's that length
limit that I'm currently imposing in SBBSecho.

This does seem to be a pretty important FidoNet element that should've been
well-defined long ago.
--- SBBSecho 3.14-Linux
* Origin: Vertrauen - [vert/cvs/bbs].synchro.net (1:103/705)

From: Ward Dossche (2:292/854)
To: All
Date: Thu, 02.12.21 21:57
Re: Valid conference names
Hello Rob,

RS> > 54

RS> What's the reference for a max echo-tage length of 54?

D'Bridge technical reference for that item dating back to 1988 about ... That
was by Chris Irwin ... maybe Nick can chip-in his 2 cents worth ??

RS> This does seem to be a pretty important FidoNet element that should've
RS> been well-defined long ago.

You are 100% right .... I think.