Fidonet Portal

From: Michiel van der Vlist (2:280/5555)
To: All
Date: Fri, 24.12.10 11:31
The inhumane conditions of Bradley Manning's detention
Hello Ross,

On Thursday December 23 2010 21:29, you wrote to me:

MV>> I think the people who are disapponted in Obama expected too
MV>> much. He promised change, but two years is not enough to
MV>> acomplish that. As we say this side of the pond, Rome and Athens
MV>> were not build in one day.

RC> Obama also promised too much...

He promised a lot, but he did not promise to do it all in two years.

RC> His first act as President was to issue an executive order to close
RC> Gitmo, move the Prisoners to stateside infrastructure, a prison in his
RC> home state of Illinois was suggested, to which members of thats states
RC> political machine, his own party, balked.

NIMBYs...

MV>> I say it will take much more than four years to undo the mess
MV>> that Bush has made. Eight years won't do either.

RC> Remember that Obama's own party held congress for the last two years
RC> of the Bush, but its too late to be blaming Bush,

It was Bush who started two wars he could not win and who brought the country
to bankruptcy, thereby plunging the world in a financial crisis. Bush jr. and
only Bush jr. is to blame for that.

RC> we could also blame The Clinton, he had a chance to get Bin Laden that
RC> might have averted 9-11.

And Bush had eight years to correct that. But despite a much stronger motive
and a much broader mandate, he was unable to. It seems mr Bin Laden is somewhat
hard to get...

As for what could have been done to avert 9/11, I expect we will see some
interesting revelations in the not too distant future. I say the US brought it
on themselves and I expect our friends from wikileaks to confirm that some day.

MV>> Or maybe the US people were not ready for a black president after
MV>> all....

RC> Obama's mother was white, or did you forget that?

I didn't, I always wondered why someone who is half white is labelled black. It
is however not my perception that counts. It is the perception of the US people
that counts in this regard, and THEY cal him black.

RC> His race has nothing to do with his shortcomings.

It may have something to do with his _perceived_ shortcomings though. You guys
are still suffering from the traumas of the era of slavery.

Cheers, Michiel

--- GoldED+/W32-MINGW 1.1.5-b20070503
* Origin: http://www.vlist.eu (2:280/5555)