Fidonet Portal

From: Chris Green (2:221/10)
To: All
Date: Wed, 15.12.21 13:57
Does USB boot disk have to be FAT formatted?
From: Chris Green <cl@isbd.net>

I can't find anything in the documenatation that tells me whether a
USB boot disk for a Pi 4 has to be FAT formatted or not.

I know the SD card has to be FAT format but the 4 boots from eeprom so
might be different.

--
Chris Green
·

---
* Origin: rbb.fidonet.fi - the fidonet nntp junction (2:221/10)

From: Jim Jackson (2:221/10)
To: All
Date: Wed, 15.12.21 18:18
Re: Does USB boot disk have to be FAT formatted?
From: Jim Jackson <jj@franjam.org.uk>

On 2021-12-15, Chris Green <cl@isbd.net> wrote:
> I can't find anything in the documenatation that tells me whether a
> USB boot disk for a Pi 4 has to be FAT formatted or not.
>
> I know the SD card has to be FAT format but the 4 boots from eeprom so
> might be different.

The boot partition - where ever it is, SD or USB - has to be FAT
formatted. The boot parititon is where the cmdline.txt, config.txt,
kernel files, device tree files etc are.

Other partitions, such as the root partition where the operating system
is should of course be formatted with a better format - usually ext4.

---
* Origin: rbb.fidonet.fi - the fidonet nntp junction (2:221/10)