Fidonet Portal

From: Ward Dossche (2:292/854)
To: All
Date: Mon, 20.12.10 12:52
Why I'm posting bail for Julian Assange ...
Why I'm Posting Bail Money for Julian Assange

(A statement from Michael Moore)

Friends,

Yesterday, in the Westminster Magistrates Court in London, the lawyers for
WikiLeaks co-founder Julian Assange presented to the judge a document from me
stating that I have put up $20,000 of my own money to help bail Mr. Assange out
of jail.

Furthermore, I am publicly offering the assistance of my website, my servers,
my domain names and anything else I can do to keep WikiLeaks alive and thriving
as it continues its work to expose the crimes that were concocted in secret and
carried out in our name and with our tax dollars.

We were taken to war in Iraq on a lie. Hundreds of thousands are now dead. Just
imagine if the men who planned this war crime back in 2002 had had a WikiLeaks
to deal with. They might not have been able to pull it off. The only reason
they thought they could get away with it was because they had
a guaranteed cloak of secrecy. That guarantee has now been ripped from them,
and I hope they are never able to operate in secret again.

So why is WikiLeaks, after performing such an important public service, under
such vicious attack? Because they have outed and embarrassed those who have
covered up the truth.

The assault on them has been over the top:

**Sen. Joe Lieberman says WikiLeaks "has violated the Espionage Act."
**The New Yorker's George Packer calls Assange "super-secretive,
thin-skinned, [and] megalomaniacal."
**Sarah Palin claims he's "an anti-American operative with blood on his
hands" whom we should pursue "with the same urgency we pursue al Qaeda and
Taliban leaders."
**Democrat Bob Beckel (Walter Mondale's 1984 campaign manager) said about
Assange on Fox: "A dead man can't leak stuff ... there's only one way to do
it: illegally shoot the son of a bitch."
**Republican Mary Matalin says "he's a psychopath, a sociopath ... He's a
terrorist."
**Rep. Peter A. King calls WikiLeaks a "terrorist organization."

And indeed they are! They exist to terrorize the liars and warmongers who have
brought ruin to our nation and to others. Perhaps the next war won't be so easy
because the tables have been turned -- and now it's Big Brother who's being
watched ... by us!

WikiLeaks deserves our thanks for shining a huge spotlight on all this. But
some in the corporate-owned press have dismissed the
importance of WikiLeaks ("they've released little that's new!"Wink or have painted
them as simple anarchists ("WikiLeaks just releases everything without any
editorial control!"Wink. WikiLeaks exists, in part, because the
mainstream media has failed to live up to its responsibility. The corporate
owners have decimated newsrooms, making it impossible for good journalists to
do their job. There's no time or money anymore for investigative journalism.
Simply put, investors don't want those stories exposed. They like their secrets
kept ... as secrets.

I ask you to imagine how much different our world would be if WikiLeaks had
existed 10 years ago. Take a look at this photo. That's Mr. Bush about to be
handed a "secret" document on August 6th, 2001. Its heading read: "Bin Ladin
Determined To Strike in US." And on those pages it said the FBI had discovered
"patterns of suspicious activity in this country consistent with preparations
for hijackings." Mr. Bush decided to ignore it and went fishing for the next
four weeks.

But if that document had been leaked, how would you or I have reacted? What
would Congress or the FAA have done? Was there not a greater chance that
someone, somewhere would have done something if all of us knew about bin
Laden's impending attack using hijacked planes?

But back then only a few people had access to that document. Because the secret
was kept, a flight school instructor in San Diego who noticed that two Saudi
students took no interest in takeoffs or landings, did nothing. Had he read
about the bin Laden threat in the paper, might he have called the FBI? (Please
read this essay by former FBI Agent Coleen Rowley, Time's 2002 co-Person of the
Year, about her belief that had WikiLeaks been around in 2001, 9/11 might have
been prevented.Wink

Or what if the public in 2003 had been able to read "secret" memos from Dick
Cheney as he pressured the CIA to give him the "facts" he wanted in order to
build his false case for war? If a WikiLeaks had revealed at that time that
there were, in fact, no weapons of mass destruction, do you think that the war
would have been launched -- or rather, wouldn't there have been calls for
Cheney's arrest?

Openness, transparency -- these are among the few weapons the citizenry has to
protect itself from the powerful and the corrupt. What if within days of August
4th, 1964 -- after the Pentagon had made up the lie that
our ship was attacked by the North Vietnamese in the Gulf of Tonkin -- there
had been a WikiLeaks to tell the American people that the whole thing was made
up? I guess 58,000 of our soldiers (and 2 million Vietnamese) might be alive
today.

Instead, secrets killed them.

For those of you who think it's wrong to support Julian Assange because of the
sexual assault allegations he's being held for, all I ask is that you not be
naive about how the government works when it decides to go
after its prey. Please -- never, ever believe the "official story." And
regardless of Assange's guilt or innocence (see the strange nature of the
allegations here), this man has the right to have bail posted and to defend
himself. I have joined with filmmakers Ken Loach and John Pilger and writer
Jemima Khan in putting up the bail money -- and we hope the judge will accept
this and grant his release today.

Might WikiLeaks cause some unintended harm to diplomatic negotiations and U.S.
interests around the world? Perhaps. But that's the price you pay when you and
your government take us into a war based on a lie. Your punishment for
misbehaving is that someone has to turn on all the lights in the
room so that we can see what you're up to. You simply can't be trusted. So
every cable, every email you write is now fair game. Sorry, but you brought
this upon yourself. No one can hide from the truth now. No one can plot the
next Big Lie if they know that they might be exposed.

And that is the best thing that WikiLeaks has done. WikiLeaks, God bless them,
will save lives as a result of their actions. And any of you who join me in
supporting them are committing a true act of patriotism. Period.

I stand today in absentia with Julian Assange in London and I ask the judge to
grant him his release. I am willing to guarantee his return to court with the
bail money I have wired to said court. I will not allow this injustice to
continue unchallenged.

Yours,
Michael Moore
MMFlint@aol.com