Fidonet Portal

From: Mr. Man-wai Chang (1:261/38)
To: n/a
Date: Fri, 16.11.18 10:53
What a Coding Dojo taught me about agile
From: "Mr. Man-wai Chang"

What a Coding Dojo taught me about agile Full story:
[url]https://opensource.com/article/18/10/what-coding-dojo-taught-me-about-agil
e[/url]
[size=2]It's essential to value individuals and interactions over processes and
tools. Here's why.[/size]

In their article, What is agile?, Jen Krieger, Daniel Oh, and Matt Takane
discuss what we at Red Hat consider the most important sentence of the Agile
Manifesto:

? ?We are uncovering better ways of developing software by doing it
and helping others do it.? ?

I like this sentence because it helps to understand why we could apply
? ?agile? ? outside of software development. We could replace ? ?developing
software? ? in that sentence with something like ? ?cooking,? ? and it would
still give us a good idea of the mindset of people who engage in ? ?agile
cooking.? ?

More DevOps resources

The ultimate DevOps hiring guide
What is DevOps?
The open source guide to DevOps monitoring tools
10 must-read DevOps resources
Free eBook: DevOps with OpenShift

Of course, we often associate ? ?agile? ? with specific practices. Let? ?s take
the example of two agile practices that were used together during a Coding Dojo
event. A Coding Dojo is a great way of uncovering better ways of developing? |
I? ?ll stop there; you know the rest of the sentence by now. A Coding Dojo is a
great way to get better at something by practicing with others in a safe and
controlled environment. The practices I uncovered that day were test-driven
development and pair programming:

Test-driven development, or TDD, is a process in which a developer
starts by writing an automated test for a function, then writes the code that
will make the test pass.

Pair programming is when two coders work together using one computer.

[b]The Coding Dojo experience[/b]

.... more .....

The interaction between the two coders is the kind of magic we all love to see.
That's because contributors are not submitting a patch hoping for a fast
review; they have the review in real time. And because they are progressing in
small steps, explaining what they are doing, it is easy for everyone to stay
connected, whether you are in the audience or the second coder in the pair.

Why do we consider pair programming and TDD agile practices? Because they are
designed to foster strong interactions between the individual members of the
team. These interactions help them express their best in the code they produce.

This brings us to the second sentence of the Agile Manifesto:

? ?Through this work, we have come to value: Individuals and
interactions over processes and tools.? ?

You can, of course, have processes and tools. But those processes and tools
should foster the expression of individuals and their interactions. The latter
has more value than the former.

So the next time you are engaged in a conversation about tools or processes,
ask yourself (and others): Are we bringing a tool or a process that will grow
individuals and interactions?

Answering yes to that question shows you the agile way.

/ v \ Simplicity is Beauty!
^ ^ (x86_64 Ubuntu 9.10) Linux 2.6.39.3

--- BBBS/Li6 v4.10 Toy-3
* Origin: Prism bbs (1:261/38)