Fidonet Portal

From: Vince Coen (2:250/1)
To: n/a
Date: Mon, 03.09.18 19:49
Mac Pro 2008 ed
Hello All!

As above I have this which is a twin Xeon quad core currently running El
Capitan.

Now I do not use this system oftenn but when ever I power it up it always says
that there is an upgrade to the O/S to Sierra (or similar) but looking at the
support docs for it says it is not for PM 2008 only from 2009 onwards but does
not specify what will prevent it working.

Now I know that a major feature ?, is Siri but as I do not use a microphone
and
rarely a headset this feature has no use for me and the other mentioned
features appear to be very minor I am wondering what will happen if I upgrade
the O/S.

Any one tried it on this model?

Another thing is that I am cosidering swapping out OSX for Linux via a CD or
doing a dual boot.

Will this work as I have yet to see the CD draw opening. Like I say not often
used - ever bought it more to see what OSX was about.

Failing this may just put it up on Ebay and sell it off as my primary system
has a AMD FX8350 8? core running my BBS, Web and FTP servers and a mainframe
access system or two as well as a Cobol development system or two.

Vince

--- Mageia Linux v6/Mbse v1.0.7.6/GoldED+/LNX 1.1.501-b20150715
* Origin: Air Applewood, The Linux Gateway to the UK & Eire (2:250/1)